HiRez Poll Rush - SIGNALS [DVD-A/BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Rush - SIGNALS

• Total voters
Anyone notice how different Geddy’s vocals are in some of these songs. I’m guessing they used alternate vocal takes. Even some of the music has slight differences as well.

I've been listening again to some of my earlier surround purchases lately and threw Signals on. This may be the rare surround disc in my collection where I'd rather just listen to the stereo mix. This was a completely wasted opportunity on an album that could have been well served by 5.1. It's possibly the most disappointing surround mix in my collection.

The "Losing It" mix is almost passable, but the rest gives me a headache.

Last edited:
I voted 7. I went to listen to this and I had only ripped the 2.0, so I found the dis and re ripped the 5.1. I must have only listened to the 5.1 from the hard disc when I purchased.
A bit of a hot mess this one. Fidelity sounds like static mud, and surround is basically enhanced stereo.
That said, the 5.1 does sound better than the 2.0.
It is no suprise that others would vote lower than my 7. What saves it for me is the music. Hey, I saw Rush live and they sounded like shit sonically live also.
Also agree the 2.0 can be better, depending on tolarance and mood in the moment. Like I said, a hot mess this one.

I revisited this one last week, hoping it was better than I remembered but sadly, that wasn't the case. It's one of my least favorite surround mixes despite being an album I loved when it was released.. It really seems more like an alternate stereo mix most of the time. Even when there is something happening in the rear channels, it's not very distinct compared to other 5.1 releases.

I voted a 5. Great album, okay sonics, lousy surround mix. I really hope they make this right for the Signals box, assuming there is one.

I managed to do a way better MCH mix of "Subdivisions" from STEMS!!! ...geez, Richard!!!
So are you saying you could have ate the master tapes and crapped a better MCH mix than Chycki? :ROFLMAO:
One of my favorite Rush albums as well. I'd give it a 6 because it's hard not to like such a great album but I can enjoy the stereo mix as much as the MCH mix.

I seem to be among the few who find this 5.1 mix to be a pretty good listen.
Especially the back half, when the songs are more layered and weird. The surround comes through better, to my ears.
I have to admit that "Losing It" and "Countdown" are very good with respect to the surround mix. Those two songs are the highlight to me. I just had higher expectations overall and thought it could have been so much better.

I seem to be among the few who find this 5.1 mix to be a pretty good listen.
Especially the back half, when the songs are more layered and weird. The surround comes through better, to my ears.
I agreed with you in the beginning but , man, SW has us ALL spoiled rotten (rot, rot, rot...fester, fester, fester)..
But since I admire you greatly I will go back to this again...I know it is not such a bad mix, but , ahhh, expectations...

I hope they let Steven Wilson take a crack at a new surround mix for this album if they do a 40th anniversary box for Signals that is…

I had a eureka moment with this surround mix tonight. I've always hated how harsh sounding this is, but tonight I turned it down -26dB below reference, and suddenly it became tolerable! If you turn this waaaay down, it ain't unlistenable.

Edit: Changing my vote from 3 to 6.

Last edited:
Back