Russian Quadra ABC Matrix system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
The only other ABC system release I've seen is from 1980, wonder if there might be more since there is a two year period between these releases.

Good question. Who knows how many.

Meloydia was a strictly Russian Record label ( to the best of my knowledge ).
And I believe someone determined that "ABC" Matrix to be similar to Dynaquad. Don't ask me how though , as I myself have never come across one.
And the only one that was ever quad credited back in the early 80's was called "Yablocko" by a Russian Rock/Jazz group . And that name Yablocko means Apple .
I think it may be in the "Surround Discography ".

I kept a couple articles on ABC from Larry Clifton's MCS Review.

16405602306873451717908365757685.jpg
16405603070515923811884996437287.jpg

Ok I found my Melodya/Angel record
Its The Volga Flows On
Ludmila Zykina sings Russian Folk and Popular Songs
Directed by Vladimir Pitkin
Its Angel SR-40269
It has the genetic SQ symbol typical on Angel records
But also Melodiya appears on front and back covers with below recorded by Melodiya in the USSR

However...when you pull out the record it has a unique red color label with Melodiya running across it and next to it the old Angel symbol
The numbers begin with SRQ
The run off area says mastered by Capitol and the numbers begin with SR.

But the label says on the bottom recorded in England.
A discrepancy from the cover so which is correct?

Back cover credits list recording producer John William and engineer Stuart Eltham. I doubt they travelled to the USSR t record this.

I remember that Quad LP in our music stores, but never listened the record... 'coz we had not any Quad decoders/amps in shops to buy them... So people used the LP for stereo only. Several years ago, we discussed it on our MCH site m-music, and no one of us reminded how the ABC mix was, good or bad. I guess there is a thin chance to find a FLAC somewhere and try it... The Apple was our folk-music band with fame female singer. Here are several samples «Яблоко» — первый альбом советской кантри-фолк-рок-группа.. | МУЗЫКА НА ВСЕ ВРЕМЕНА | VK

Attachments

• NochiPFOPUg.jpg
    NochiPFOPUg.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I remember that Quad LP in our music stores, but never listened the record... 'coz we had not any Quad decoders/amps in shops to buy them... So people used the LP for stereo only. Several years ago, we discussed it on our MCH site m-music, and no one of us reminded how the ABC mix was, good or bad. I guess there is a thin chance to find a FLAC somewhere and try it... The Apple was our folk-music band with fame female singer. Here are several samples «Яблоко» — первый альбом советской кантри-фолк-рок-группа.. | МУЗЫКА НА ВСЕ ВРЕМЕНА | VK
I have that record and the seperation is pretty good when played through QS, instruments isolated in the rear speakers. The music is good too.

Back