• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Russound QT1 on US ebay

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

gazmono

I don't have enough equipment to justify it, also it doesn't seem to come with the patch cords but I am sure someone here will be interested:

Quad Linda

Staff member
Bought mine from Gaylord Russell himself at '77 summer CES. It was a new product and the patch cords had to be shipped later. They are a 2-conductor mini plug on each end. Patch cords aren't needed for normal functions of the switchbox.

There are standard phono (RCA) jacks on the back panel.

I've had 4 main systems in those years and QT-1 has been attached to all of them.

A wonderful piece of gear, though a bit confusing to use at first.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Had one myself years back .

At the time I had quite a few decoders hooked up to it. These were:

Sony SQA-2030 (with the amp disconnected-straight decoding of SQ and RM )
Fosgate 101A(SQ)
Sansui QSD 2 (QS Vario matrix w/ Matrix H and HJ adapter)
Electro Voice EV 4 (EV-4)
Harmon Kardon 44+ (CD-4)
and my Superscope Q8 player , might have been hooked up as well or it was in my Sony preamp discrete jacks.

Anyways it was a versatile unit for anyone with multiple decoders/demodulators. So I would recommend it to any curious quadraphile that might be sitting on the fence. :)

jefe1

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Can one find a user manual for this and if the missing patch cords are not needed for ordinary use what then are they used for?

Soundfield

701 Club - QQ All-Star
What do you mean by "Matrix H and HJ adapter" fizzy? The QSD-2 didn't handle Ambisonic natively, did you have one that was custom modified, or did you patch an Ambisonic decoder into the QSD somehow? You've got me curious!
I don't think Fizzy said anything about the QSD-2 handling ambisonic formats.
In decode (but not encode) terms the QS system was broadly the same as Matrix H and there was, very briefly, a modification for the QSD-2 made available for the UK market that allowed the QSD-2 to decode Matrix H. It was a simple mod that changed a couple of phase shift capacitors, sacrificing the Tape Monitor switch to enable the function. I don't think it worked very well and I imagine they didn't make many, and probably sold even fewer - especially as by the time the unit was available, the BBC were about to move on to Matrix HJ, and Sansui didn't move with them, rendering it all but useless.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
What do you mean by "Matrix H and HJ adapter" fizzy? The QSD-2 didn't handle Ambisonic natively, did you have one that was custom modified, or did you patch an Ambisonic decoder into the QSD somehow? You've got me curious!

Note that both H and HJ were quad systems , and not ambisonic. Ambisonic designated UHJ , came about sometime later in the 70's probably 79 , but that's a good guess.

It should be mentioned that Quad matrix HJ was a compromise of BBC QUAD MATRIX H and the NRDC'S 45J (the early ambisonic system of .).

HJ was compatible with BBC MATRIX H and 45 J.

Not a problem with playback in my quad system utilizing the QT 1, as the adapter was hooked up to my QSD-2.

You should check out those threads (must be 3 or 4 perhaps) located in the" matrix quad legacy" area .( The ones that mention quad matrix BBC MATRIX H and BBC MATRIX HJ).
(there is also a thread on matrix h in the ambisonic section, which does not belong there , but that's up to the moderator to correct )
There are some Integrex decoder pictures relevant to the matrices in practice back then and they utilized H and HJ along with SQ and RM , and should even be some other decoders of note, (eg; Comcor , Sansui, . .....)
Always wanted one of those years ago , but near impossible getting them across the pond.

Lots of very relevant matrix quad info there for anyone still interested in matrix quad . :)

Thanks Soundfield and Fizzywiggs41. I don't know too much about the matrix H / HJ, and UHJ formats. I've always mentally lumped them together in the ambisonics pile because of the progression from H to HJ to UHJ (correct me if I'm wrong there again). I've read some of the articles on them, but I haven't come across much of any of the three formats in the United States as they were no where near as prevalent as in the U.K. So, it's a matter of pick them up when I find them, but I don't yet have the equipment to play any of them back properly.

So Fizzy, where you just using a regular QSD-2 for matrix H / HJ playback, or a special version like Soundfield mentioned (which is more news to me)?

MidiMagic

In the BBC quad trials articles, they gave a simple expedient of using psi phase shifts to make one stereo channel lead and the other lag, and then feed the resulting RM signal into the Sansui variomatrix. I don't have the articles handy right now, and can't remember which channel leads.

90 degrees total (45 lead and 45 lag, or 90 lead and 0 lag) gave BMX
45 degrees total gave H
22.5 degrees total gave HJ
12 degrees total gave UHJ

All "great circle" (on the Poincare sphere) matrices can be converted from one to another by applying sum-and difference and/or psi phase shifting.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Thanks Soundfield and Fizzywiggs41. I don't know too much about the matrix H / HJ, and UHJ formats. I've always mentally lumped them together in the ambisonics pile because of the progression from H to HJ to UHJ (correct me if I'm wrong there again). I've read some of the articles on them, but I haven't come across much of any of the three formats in the United States as they were no where near as prevalent as in the U.K. So, it's a matter of pick them up when I find them, but I don't yet have the equipment to play any of them back properly.

So Fizzy, where you just using a regular QSD-2 for matrix H / HJ playback, or a special version like Soundfield mentioned (which is more news to me)?

MATRIX H and HJ were not broadcast in the USA as it was soley a product of the UK. The BBC later the Independent Broadcasting Association used HJ and later UHJ.
But the BBC utilized Matrix H as it was their child .
Only 2 albums I know of utilized H . Norrie Paramor-40 years of TV a BBC record from 76 which is not indicated as matrix H quad and one on the Virgin label....David Bedford - Instructions For Angels from 77.
There was also believed to be one or two on the Philips label. That would be no surprise as The Netherlands Dutch radio (NOS) was an early advocate of BBC Matrices. And I do believe some other Norwegian countries as well.

To reiterate BBC MATRIX H and MATRIX HJ are QUAD Matrices , and UHJ was known as a Kernel system of multichannel .

Yes I used my Sansui QSD -2 and it had a little box adapter attached after the decoder which had a Matrix H and HJ switch.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
In the BBC quad trials articles, they gave a simple expedient of using psi phase shifts to make one stereo channel lead and the other lag, and then feed the resulting RM signal into the Sansui variomatrix. I don't have the articles handy right now, and can't remember which channel leads.

90 degrees total (45 lead and 45 lag, or 90 lead and 0 lag) gave BMX
45 degrees total gave H
22.5 degrees total gave HJ
12 degrees total gave UHJ

All "great circle" (on the Poincare sphere) matrices can be converted from one to another by applying sum-and difference and/or psi phase shifting.

From what I've read , a 60 degree phase shift of the right channel with an adaptor with any RM decoder provides the best listening of H in quad.
However the "encode " is actually 47.5 degrees with an RM encoder.

Also I believe my adaptor preceded my Sansui QSD-2.

Should be tried out with an SM Decoder in the "involve " mode for anyone with that device.

quadaholic

Dear Midi Magic,

I "dabbled" with decoding H a few years ago, and while I was initially lured in by the idea of H being not too far removed from QS, once I started digging into the tech. info, it started seeming less and less so. I wonder if a lot of these recommendations were a result of that particular point in time, where expectations of channel separation were a lot lower. In any case, I ultimately found (at least for me) that H is its own beast (emphasis on "beast") with more annoying phase angles to deal with, and a lot more redundant audio to eliminate than QS. Having said all that, definitely give any workarounds a shot and see how it goes. Being able to hear something is definitely better than nothing when it comes to good music.

Group builder