Ryan Ulyate on mixing Tom Petty's Greatest Hits in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ryan de topanga - Thank you so much for stopping by our little corner of the internet to chat with us. It's always a real treat to hear from the folks who bring us these wonderful surround mixes. I was listening to the Tom Petty Greatest Hits last night and it was wonderful. I hope that we will be hearing more soon.

If you’re friends with Jeff Lynne you should try and get him to release some of the ELO stuff in Atmos. :)

And I'd like to add another vote for the above comment! Have you ever spoken with Jeff Lynne regarding surround sound mixes? ELO music would obviously be an ideal candidate for an Atmos treatment. I would love to hear you give Out of The Blue, Face the Music or El Dorado an Atmos mix!

Have you ever spoken with Jeff Lynne regarding surround sound mixes? ELO music would obviously be an ideal candidate for an Atmos treatment. I would love to hear you give Out of The Blue, Face the Music or El Dorado an Atmos mix!

Add Travelling Wilburys to that request please.

@ryan de topanga - Thank you so much for stopping by our little corner of the internet to chat with us. It's always a real treat to hear from the folks who bring us these wonderful surround mixes. I was listening to the Tom Petty Greatest Hits last night and it was wonderful. I hope that we will be hearing more soon.

And I'd like to add another vote for the above comment! Have you ever spoken with Jeff Lynne regarding surround sound mixes? ELO music would obviously be an ideal candidate for an Atmos treatment. I would love to hear you give Out of The Blue, Face the Music or El Dorado an Atmos mix!
Hello Ryan,
I am pretty amazed at the greatest hits. 65 or so minutes of pure genius in the material and in the sound. I am hoping that you guys will have time fairly soon to release ‘the Last DJ’ in a dual Atmos configuration. I have heard the two bonus songs from DJ on the Soundstage blue rays and the playing and the the mix on those two tracks (Can't Stop The Sun & Like A Diamond) being extraordinary, along with Tom and Mike (who is playing with Ian Hunter on 2 of the Tracks on the new 2 CD set which is being released next year) and the rest of the heartbreakers are stone cold perfect on this hugely entertaining masterpiece with Tom arranging an Orchestra for this project and John Brion Conducting the orchestra.

There are at least 4 different complete in the running order versions of the Pay Per View and the official DVD recording with orchestra one night and possibly without the orchestra the first night?

Imam really hoping you can bring this on home.

Keep up the excellent work and I thank you for the strumming acoustic guitar on “Runnin Down A Dream” Amazing.

Jeff

Hi @ryan de topanga and welcome to QQ! It was fun reading about Mojo - I'm not sure if you remember, but I reached out in 2010 and arranged for the Blu-ray (dot com) website to do a review of the 5.1 Blu-ray Disc of Mojo to try and increase awareness - like you I was wishing everyone would mix studio material in surround sound as I have been for 20+ years.

I find a similar fault with Atmos that you found with the early surround codecs (DD/dts), in that the streaming version is lossy and its deficiencies are audible compared to lossless TrueHD/Atmos on Blu-ray. Do you have any idea what the chances are of the Greatest Hits seeing a physical BD release? I imagine with the success of the Super Deluxe Edition Surround Series @PaulatSDE is having, the label could easily bank on several thousand copies of a Tom Petty Atmos release being sold.

Also, absolutely love the job you, Tom and the Bernie Grundman Mastering team did with the vinyl releases - both the records and the 24/96 high res downloads sound fantastic and including pictures of the original master tapes along with notes about the mastering and dynamic range was so cool.

Last edited:
My ultimate dream is to have those wonderful ELO albums in surround and or Atmos.

I've been a fan since the very beginning of ELO and have been lucky enough to see Jeff 's ELO live on his recent UK tours.

Jeff is a very down to earth chap with a wonderful dry, brummie humour.

He is also multi talented and I hope one day he sees that his music deserves a wider soundscape.

Hi @ryan de topanga and welcome to QQ! It was fun reading about Mojo - I'm not sure if you remember, but I reached out in 2010 and arranged for the Blu-ray (dot com) website to do a review of the 5.1 Blu-ray Disc of Mojo to try and increase awareness - like you I was wishing everyone would mix studio material in surround sound as I have been for 20+ years.

I find a similar fault with Atmos that you found with the early surround codecs (DD/dts), in that the streaming version is lossy and its deficiencies are audible compared to lossless TrueHD/Atmos on Blu-ray. Do you have any idea what the chances are of the Greatest Hits seeing a physical BD release? I imagine with the success of the Super Deluxe Edition Surround Series @PaulatSDE is having, the label could easily bank on several thousand copies of a Tom Petty Atmos release being sold.

Also, absolutely love the job you, Tom and the Bernie Grundman Mastering team did with the vinyl releases - both the records and the 24/96 high res downloads sound fantastic and including pictures of the original master tapes along with notes about the mastering and dynamic range was so cool.
Dobyblue, thx for being in the trenches of surround for all this time! I agree and hoping we can keep moving forward with better sounding delivery options for Atmos. I'll always advocate for better fidelity. Please give me more info about what @PaulatSDE is up to.

Welcome Ryan! I can gush for an hour like the rest of the folks here about your fantastic mixes! I don't have 7.1, but my AVR mixes Atmos down to 5.1 and your mixes are a holiday for the ears! Like others here, ELO and the Wilburys would be high on my list for a remix as well.

Dobyblue, thx for being in the trenches of surround for all this time! I agree and hoping we can keep moving forward with better sounding delivery options for Atmos. I'll always advocate for better fidelity. Please give me more info about what @PaulatSDE is up to.
Great Atmos mix Ryan, if only this got released on a standalone BD.

Ian(popshop), thanks for sharing this wonderful interview with Ryan at the start of this thread.
I can't add much to what other's have already said but yes BIG THANKYOU to Ryan U. for your surround mixes.

Ryan, if you could get Jeff Lynne on board to get ELO in Surround that would be amazing.
I think Steven Wilson is on record as well to want to do ELO in surround.

peter

Hi Ryan - absolutely, Paul Sinclair runs the Super Deluxe Edition website and has started "The SDE Surround Sound Series" of Blu-ray Discs that is up to its fifth volume; the first volume started the series with a bang, it was a Blu-ray of the newest Tears for Fears album "The Tipping Point" including 5.1 dts-HD Master Audio and Dolby Atmos mixes of the album by Steven Wilson. It sounds like we almost got the new INXS Greatest Hits as a volume, but for some reason the parent label pulled out. The most recent volume is the new Brian Eno album FOREVERANDEVERNOMORE.

It's a great avenue for releases where the label may not be interested in putting out a physical disc themselves but is okay with licensing a third party limited release. It's a small glimmer of hope for those of us pining for more lossless surround content in the home. I'm currently praying we might see a-ha's 1985 debut at some point, as that album was mixed by Steven in Atmos.

Here is the QQ Forum thread on the SDE Surround Series, Paul also pops by for updates - The SDE Surround Sound Series

\m/ \m/

Excellent interview. Thank you both for taking the time! And welcome to the forums, Ryan. I've been exceptionally impressed with the Petty Atmos mixes and was curious who did those. Good to know, keep up the good work and I am excited to see (hear) what's next...

Back