SACD....by the numbers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundboy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Back in 2011, I created a thread over at the Steve Hoffman Forum on the "Resurgence of SACD". It's an ongoing thread, currently at 49 pages. You can see it in the below link:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...ised-at-the-formats-recent-resurgence.257302/
Some members here may have seen the thread, or may have even participated in the discussion over at SHF. However, I want to bring the discussion over to this forum too since we have many SACD enthusaists on this form as well.. Btw, I am putting this topic on this particular forum since stereo SACD are majority of the new SACD releases; this is not a diss of multichannel SACDs.

Well, here's a recap of the first 6 months for 2019.....

As of July 1, there are 12,994 SACD titles listed on hraudio.net. The year 2019 began with 12,710 titles. Therefore, there is an increase of 284 new SACD titles at hraudio.net for the first 6 months of 2019. Keep in mind that this total doesn't include the latest Dutton Vocalion SACD releases.

There are an additional 60 new SACD titles (at least) released in Hong Kong since the beginning of the year. July and August of each year usually see a wave of new SACD releases in HK ahead of the annual high-end audio/video show (in August), but recent political demonstrations may have put a damper on the atmosphere this year.

Anyway, a total of 344 new SACD titles released worldwide for the first 6 months of 2019. This compares favorably to previous years' total despite the popularity of streaming and retreats from the mass market by Oppo and Marantz.

It is certainly very far from thie below thread:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/sacd-crosses-3-000-title-mark.4967/

Back in 2011, I created a thread over at the Steve Hoffman Forum on the "Resurgence of SACD". It's an ongoing thread, currently at 49 pages. You can see it in the below link:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...ised-at-the-formats-recent-resurgence.257302/
Some members here may have seen the thread, or may have even participated in the discussion over at SHF. However, I want to bring the discussion over to this forum too since we have many SACD enthusaists on this form as well.. Btw, I am putting this topic on this particular forum since stereo SACD are majority of the new SACD releases; this is not a diss of multichannel SACDs.

Well, here's a recap of the first 6 months for 2019.....

As of July 1, there are 12,994 SACD titles listed on hraudio.net. The year 2019 began with 12,710 titles. Therefore, there is an increase of 284 new SACD titles at hraudio.net for the first 6 months of 2019. Keep in mind that this total doesn't include the latest Dutton Vocalion SACD releases.

There are an additional 60 new SACD titles (at least) released in Hong Kong since the beginning of the year. July and August of each year usually see a wave of new SACD releases in HK ahead of the annual high-end audio/video show (in August), but recent political demonstrations may have put a damper on the atmosphere this year.

Anyway, a total of 344 new SACD titles released worldwide for the first 6 months of 2019. This compares favorably to previous years' total despite the popularity of streaming and retreats from the mass market by Oppo and Marantz.

It is certainly very far from thie below thread:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/sacd-crosses-3-000-title-mark.4967/
Ha, I wanted to like your last post on that SHF thread, then I realized - wait I'm not a member thereo_O. I wouldn't have a life if I joined that forum also, this one is all I can handle. So yes, glad this discussion is here!

With 2019 two-thirds over, I figure I will do an update as of September 1, 2019.

Over at HRAudio.net, we have 365 new SACD titles added for the first 9 months of 2019. There are still chances that MoFi may come through with the Dire Straits SACDs, or Analogue Productions coming through with both Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd SACD releases. I imagine Dutton Vocalion may still have a set of releases before the end of the year. Of course, classical music on SACD will continue....new SACD coming from Michael Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony (right before MTT receives the Kennedy Center Honors).

Japan has a number of interesting SACD titles coming.....Hiromi's new release will be released later this month on SHM-SACD. Don't understand why western pop/rock SHM-SACD reissues stopped while classical music releases on SHM-SACD continues. There's a reissue of Ryuichi Sakamoto's "B-2 Unit" on SACD later this month.

Despite riots and general mayhem in Hong Kong, the city has now released well over 100 SACD titles in 2019. Over 50% of all HK SACD titles were released by HK Universal Music. New SACD titles are generally announced a week or two before actual release, so it's hard to gauge what's coming up.

So, taken altogether, we have at least 465 new SACD titles released worldwide for 2019....so far. At current rate, there will be over 700 new SACD titles releas

With 2019 two-thirds over, I figure I will do an update as of September 1, 2019.

Over at HRAudio.net, we have 365 new SACD titles added for the first 9 months of 2019. There are still chances that MoFi may come through with the Dire Straits SACDs, or Analogue Productions coming through with both Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd SACD releases. I imagine Dutton Vocalion may still have a set of releases before the end of the year. Of course, classical music on SACD will continue....new SACD coming from Michael Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony (right before MTT receives the Kennedy Center Honors).

Japan has a number of interesting SACD titles coming.....Hiromi's new release will be released later this month on SHM-SACD. Don't understand why western pop/rock SHM-SACD reissues stopped while classical music releases on SHM-SACD continues. There's a reissue of Ryuichi Sakamoto's "B-2 Unit" on SACD later this month.

Despite riots and general mayhem in Hong Kong, the city has now released well over 100 SACD titles in 2019. Over 50% of all HK SACD titles were released by HK Universal Music. New SACD titles are generally announced a week or two before actual release, so it's hard to gauge what's coming up.

So, taken altogether, we have at least 465 new SACD titles released worldwide for 2019....so far. At current rate, there will be over 700 new SACD titles releas

Thanks for the updates, soundboy. Yes it is ashame Sony Japan has NOT released any additional mch Rock SACDs in special 7" packaging as I'm sure the ones they did release sold well. Thanks for the heads~up on the Hiromi SHM~SACD ...I have the previous 3 she released in that format and they sound amazing .... just regretful they're not multichannel like her stunning TELARC mch SACDs.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCGO-9054?s_ssid=e320ba5d6ec5901bde

Here is the tally for 2019, a year in which SACD celebrated its 20th anniversary.

At the beginning of 2019, 12,710 SACD titles were listed at HRAudio.net. By January 1, 2020, 13,259 SACD titles were listed....549 new SACD were added to HRAudio.net during 2019.

In addition, 137 new SACD titles were released in Hong Kong despite the ongoing chaos in the city.

On top of those, several more SACD titles from Japan, including the SACD of "Frank Sinatra/The Count Basie Orchestra - At The Sands", brings the total for 2019 to 693 new SACD for 2019. This is approximately an 11% drop in new SACD releases when compared to 2018 (772 vs. 693). Not too bad for a "niche within a niche" physical format in its 20th year.

Seventeen new SACD titles have been added to HRAudio.net since January 1, 2020....and there's not including titles such as the just released Iron Butterfly "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" from MoFi.

One more number....SACD has now tallied more than 14,000 titles.

The first 2 months of 2020 have been rough for new SACD releases.

On January 12, 2020, there were 13,259 titles listed on hraudio.net. As of February 29, 2020, 13,323 titles were listed. Sixty four new SACD titles were added for the first 2 months at hraudio.net.

As of today, 13,328 SACDs are listed at hraudio.net.

There were only about 4 new SACD titles released in Hong Kong during the first 2 months of 2020, one of them being Tears For Fears' "Tears Roll Down" compilation SACD from HK Universal Music.

With 1/3 of the year already gone, lets see what is happening with SACD.

As of 4/30/2020, 143 new SACD titles were added to hraudio.net....or just 79 new titles since my last update on 3/2/2020 (post #1374). However, a number of new SACD titles already released have yet to made it onto hraudio.net's database....for example, MoFi's SACD of T-Rex's "Electric Warrior" and the just released self-titled album by Vanilla Fudge, plus "The Best of the James Gang" from Analogue Productions.

While the first 2 months saw only 4 new SACD titles from Hong Kong, that total has grown to 20 as of this post. Surprisingly, HK Universal dropped a total of 4 western pop music SACDs in the first 4 months of this year.

So, 163 new SACD titles for the first 1/3 of 2020. At current rate, we are looking at approximately 500 new SACD releases for 2020.

I am sure the coronavirus played a part in the decrease in the number of new SACD titles. Hopefully, we will get more new titles from Dutton Vocalion and Mobile Fidelity. And it is good to see Intervention Records going back to the SACD format. Before long, the SACD format will cross the 15,000th title mark (SACD currently has over 14,000 titles)

As of 7/1/2020, 242 new SACD titles have been added to hraudio.net....that means almost 100 new SACD titles since the last tally from 4/30/2020. Some of the titles added to hraudio.net have yet to materialize, i.e. Jimi Hendrix AYE and the Pink Floyd reissue of DSOTM. On the other hand, I just discover that the original US single layer stereo SACD version of Carole King's "Tapestry" is not listed at hraudio.net (or sa-cd.net).

Hong Kong SACD releases have picked up, now at 46 titles since the beginning of the year.

So, at the halfway point of 2020, there were at least 288 new SACD titles worldwide....which now see a new projected total of almost 600 new SACD titles for 2020. Instead of 500 from May 2, 2020.

2/3 of the year update....

we are still on track for about 600 new SACD titles for 2020. Currently we have at least 390 new titles for the year.

A number of exciting SACD titles are coming in the next couple of months....based on information online....Run DMC, the Cranberries, Matthew Sweet, Harry Nilsson, Frank Sinatra, etc. And, of course, Jimi Hendrix.

Just realized that SACD has broke through he 14,000 titles mark.

Edit: Apparently old age is catching up with me....I have mentioned the 14,000 SACD mark a couple of times in previous posts above. Sigh.

Last edited:

we are still on track for about 600 new SACD titles for 2020. Currently we have at least 390 new titles for the year.

A number of exciting SACD titles are coming in the next couple of months....based on information online....Run DMC, the Cranberries, Matthew Sweet, Harry Nilsson, Frank Sinatra, etc. And, of course, Jimi Hendrix.

Run DMC? Harry Nilsson?

A Cranberries SACD release, soundboy. Can you supply some info?

A Cranberries SACD release, soundboy. Can you supply some info?

Hong Kong Universal Music is releasing "Stars - The Best of the The Cranberries - 1992 - 2002" on stereo hybrid SACD today (September 2nd). The SACD will be pressed in Japan (by Sony). However, despite the fact that it is available for purchase on HK Universal Music's online store, the release is officially geographically restricted for sale in HK and Macau only. Therefore, those of us outside of those 2 cities will have to get the SACD through a reseller. Currently, importcds.com has lowest price....

https://www.importcds.com/stars-the-best-of-the-cranberries-1992-2002-hybrid-sacd/600753922873
Here's HK Universal Music's printed ad for some of its SACD releases this year....

50278068157_ecc0417096_c.jpg

With about 1.5 months left in this (miserable) year, SACD have, to date, reached over 500 new releases for 2020. I think surpassing 600 new titles for the year is very possible.

In the next 1.5 months....
  • Will Dutton-Vocalion release another batch of quad titles?
  • Will MoFi release previously announced SACD titles such as Santana "Supernatural" and ELO "Eldorado"?
  • Will Japan Sony announce another quad SACD title in 7" mini LP packaging?
  • Will we finally get our hands on the long promised Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD reissue?
In addition to the new classical titles, a number of new SACD titles are scheduled for release in November....Fourplay, Frank Sinatra, Matthew Sweet, Joan Armatrading, etc.

One startling number that stick out....Hong Kong Universal Music has released over 90 SACD titles this year. That's practically 20% of the world's total! From a division of one company! What's in the water over there?

Back