SACD....by the numbers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  • Will Dutton-Vocalion release another batch of quad titles?
  • Will MoFi release previously announced SACD titles such as Santana "Supernatural" and ELO "Eldorado"?
  • Will Japan Sony announce another quad SACD title in 7" mini LP packaging?
  • Will we finally get our hands on the long promised Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD reissue?
In addition to the new classical titles, a number of new SACD titles are scheduled for release in November....Fourplay, Frank Sinatra, Matthew Sweet, Joan Armatrading, etc.

• Will Dutton-Vocalion release another batch of quad titles? - :LB YES YES YES YES!!!!

• Will MoFi release previously announced SACD titles such as Santana "Supernatural" and ELO "Eldorado"? - 😣
  • Doubtful (but, sure why not & Supernatural already released in DVD-A; and could sure use a better surround mix )

• Will Japan Sony announce another quad SACD title in 7" mini LP packaging? -Undoubtedly :QQlove

• Will we finally get our hands on the long promised Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD reissue? - and Animals "doh" not a snow ball's chance in hell!!!!
  • -------------------
    sbcih.jpg
1605385625828.png

Here is the tally for SACD during 2020, a tough year for practically everyone on the planet. With SACD being a niche format within even the audiophile community, I somewhat expected it will take a big hit in terms of new releases.

At the beginning of 2020, 13,259 SACD titles were listed at HRAudio.net. By January 1, 2021, 13,736 SACD titles were listed....477 new SACD were added to HRAudio.net during 2019. An additional 8 SACD titles from Japan Tower Records (4 CTI jazz titles and 4 early Kitaro albums) were released on SACD in December 2020, but have yet to be counted by HRAudio.net, brings the total for SACD to 485 for 2020.

In addition, 108 new non-English language SACD titles were released in Hong Kong / Taiwan / China (the latter 2 countries totaled 3 titles) bring the total to 593 (485 + 108). There are also other SACD titles released in 2020, such as a live Benny Goodman recording from Stockfisch Records, that were not accounted for. I am nonetheless confident that the grand total for new SACD releases worldwide reached 600.

The total of 600 new SACD releases in 2019 is approximately a 13% drop when compared to 2019 (693 for 2019 vs. 600 for 2020). However, when compared to the total number of SACD titles released in 2018 (772), it represented a 23% drop in two years.

One last number....I think SACD is less than 500 titles from 15,000.

Last edited:
Here is the tally for SACD during 2020, a tough year for practically everyone on the planet. With SACD being a niche format within even the audiophile community, I somewhat expected it will take a big hit in terms of new releases.

At the beginning of 2020, 13,259 SACD titles were listed at HRAudio.net. By January 1, 2021, 13,736 SACD titles were listed....477 new SACD were added to HRAudio.net during 2019. An additional 8 SACD titles from Japan Tower Records (4 CTI jazz titles and 4 early Kitaro albums) were released on SACD in December 2020, but have yet to be counted by HRAudio.net, brings the total for SACD to 485 for 2020.

In addition, 108 new non-English language SACD titles were released in Hong Kong / Taiwan / China (the latter 2 countries totaled 3 titles) bring the total to 593 (485 + 108). There are also other SACD titles released in 2020, such as a live Benny Goodman recording from Stockfisch Records, that were not accounted for. I am nonetheless confident that the grand total for new SACD releases worldwide reached 600.

The total of 600 new SACD releases in 2019 is approximately a 13% drop when compared to 2019 (693 for 2019 vs. 600 for 2020). However, when compared to the total number of SACD titles released in 2018 (772), it represented a 23% drop in two years.

One last number....I think SACD is less than 500 titles from 15,000.

Excellent tally, Soundboy. Did you count this one recently released by PS Audio:

https://www.psaudio.com/products/out-of-thin-air/
See the source image

Excellent tally, Soundboy. Did you count this one recently released by PS Audio:

https://www.psaudio.com/products/out-of-thin-air/
See the source image

Thanks for the reminder. I am aware of SACD releases from PS Audio's Octave Records (I get regular emails from PS Audio), but forgotten about them for this tally. On HRAudio.net, there is only one SACD listing for Octave Records....Otis Taylor's "Hey Joe". PS Audio's website shows 2 additional SACD releases, including Don Grusin's "Out of Thin Air".

I use 600 new SACD titles for 2020 as an estimate but it's very likely an undercount. The below release Benny Goodman SACD from Stockfisch Records is also not counted at HRAudio.com....

50279551697_04b146e6a4_w.jpg

I will revise the total once I get more information.

This is good news that SACD isn't at a sharp decline. Stay strong and support this fantastic format. I personally spent almost $100 on the 1st two Santana albums from Japan this year. It was worth it. Long live Quad releases!

Numbers are in for the first quarter of 2021....some good news, some not so good news.

As of April 1st, hraudio.net tallied a total of 13,843 SACD titles. That represented an increase of 107 new SACD titles for the first 3 months of 2021. Of course, that number was an undercount given that hraudio.net didn't account for, at the minimum, the 3 Stereo Sound Frank Sinatra SACDs or the 4 Japan Tower Records Kitaro SACDs. However, by April 3rd, hraudio.net has updated its database....including MoFi's latest Paul Simon SACD. The 2 extra days meant 47 new SACD titles. So, 154 new SACD titles added to hraudio.net for the first 3 months of 2021.

Still, the recently announced SHM-SACDs of Clapton/Cream/Paul Mauriat/Camel, Intervention Records' SACD of "Starfish" from The Church, and Evosound's SACD of Mr. Big's "Lean into It"....those have not been counted yet.

2020's most active SACD label, Hong Kong Universal Music, actually stayed very active. The label released 62 SACD titles in the first 3 months of 2021. However, all 62 titles were previously released as part of boxsets, but now available individually. I'm treating these as re-releases, like the upcoming Clapton/Cream SHM-SACDs. Some of these SACD titles, on their own, did make HK's top 10 albums sales chart.

So, for now, 216 new SACD titles were released during the first 3 months of 2021. At this rate, we are looking at over 800 new SACD titles this year, which would be a major rebound from 2020. However, I doubt this release rate can be sustained. We will probably get a better picture of what's happening after the first half of the year is over.

Also a re~release from Norway's Odin Records this time includes MQA encoding on the CD layer. I have the non MQA Stereo SACD and it sounds EXQUISITE. Very hard to find!

1536602738_folder.jpg

Radka Toneff, Steve Dobrogosz - Fairytales (1982) [2017 SACD]

As of July 1, 2021, 14,016 SACD titles are listed at hraudio.net. That is an increase of 280 new SACD titles since January 1, 2021, when 13,736 titles were listed.

In addition, 85 SACD titles were released in Hong Kong since the beginning of the year....including the new Diana Krall in Paris SACD.

So, the total number of new SACD releases comes to 365 for the first 6 months of 2021. If the rate of new releases continues at this rate, we should have a yearly total of over 700 new SACD releases for 2021....which is a very healthy rebound compared to last year's total of 600. Can we sustain that rate of new releases?

Btw, the total number of SACD releases since the beginning of the format, at the minimum, is at 14,805 titles. That total may be closer to 14,900, but I'm not certain yet.

If there is a significant downturn in SACD releases it can easily be traced to the Classical labels which in past years released more SACDs than Pop, Rock, Jazz and world music COMBINED....currently opting to release their music via download vs physical disc.

OTOH, Universal Japan has again started releasing Stereo only SHM~SACDs at price points less than American reissue labels MoFi and Analogue Productions.

And it's nice to see independent reissue labels Impex and Intervention Records releasing in the SACD format, the former even dabbling in multichannel 5.1 remixes.

And keep an eye on Hong Kong's EVOSOUND......which, IMO, has been releasing some astounding Stereo SACDs including the upcoming Mr. Big Lean Into It and Bob James' ONE in newly remixed 5.1 on hybrid SACD.

And keep an eye on Hong Kong's EVOSOUND......which, IMO, has been releasing some astounding Stereo SACDs including the upcoming Mr. Big Lean Into It and Bob James' ONE in newly remixed 5.1 on hybrid SACD.
I just gotta wonder Ralphie what got a wild hair up their bum to do a Bob James 5.1 SACD (not that I'm complaining at all, I'm thrilled!) But man if they can do that one, just think of the possibilities.

I just gotta wonder Ralphie what got a wild hair up their bum to do a Bob James 5.1 SACD (not that I'm complaining at all, I'm thrilled!) But man if they can do that one, just think of the possibilities.

Possibly, JP, because EVOSOUND is currently on a Bob James Kick having released several of his amazing back catalogue titles as audiophile Stereo SACDs and MQA encoded CDs.

And why aren't you outside shooting off firecrackers?

R.cfb77c189805bfdd6f037fe285fef0ef

As I understand it this doesn't account for hybrid SACDs.

I remember that the RIAA had some strange way of counting the number of SACDs sold. If you do the math, $200,000 in sales during 2020 would make that about 6,667 SACDs sold (at $30.00 per SACD). I would imagine the 4 Dire Straits MoFi SACDs combined have sold more than that number.

Back