SACD conversion - dealing with pops between tracks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why - but I'm getting the pop on all channels but the silent channel, and nothing I've tried fixes it in foobar. I'm happy to try other things if it will help others find better solutions - but my full file workaround makes me happy at this point. Usually I'm ripping an SACD to convert a full album to DVD (was actually working to make a Santana multi album DVD for the car), so going to a full album wav is a desirable output for me anyways.

I have picked up mmh, will probably dabble around in that a bit more another day.

One thing about my full album conversion process - you might hit the file size limit of .wav, and when foobar does that, it just cuts the file at that point, no warning. You'll want to convert to .w64.

I forgot to add: Please ensure you have latest SACD Decoder in Foobar. There were some fixes applied to more recent versions.

Yes, foo_input_sacd as fixed last year, version 1.2.4:

11/08/20:
Version 1.2.4 - Seamless DSD to PCM for single converter thread.

To make seamless DSD to PCM conversion set 1 for File->Preferences->Advanced->Tools->Converter->Thread count.

Actually, looking at the discussion below, the final fix was in 1.2.5.

Full discussion here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/sacddecoder/bugs/134/
As far as I know, the issue is that the nature of DSD means it is impossible to convert tracks from DSD to PCM individually without small artifacts at the starts of tracks. The updates above treat things as one continuous track, making conversion work correctly.

I had similar pops between tracks in analog. It turned out that some of the tracks had DC offsets. There is a tool in the studio program I have that removes DC offset. No DC offsets, no clunks.

Back