SACD Conversion (moved from: Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And how does one get a DSF from the SACD?
Although this has nothing to do with this thread (Atmos) there are many threads here and on other forums like AudiophileStyle that show you how to rip SACDs. Use a capable SACD/Bluray player or use an early version PS3 (but most are now doing it via a handful of universal players).

Rip to ISO, then extract DSFs from ISOs with things like ISO2DSD (a GUI for SACD_extract).

What MacOS app converts SACD to FLAC?

Foobar2000 May do it with the SACD component installed (just like Foobar for Windows). EDIT: components won't run on MAC OS

Also:

Looks like ffmpeg will do it. Download the MAC version and run this script in the folder with your DSF files:

for i in *.dsf; do ffmpeg -i "$i" -af "lowpass=24000, volume=6dB" -sample_fmt s32 -ar 88200 "${i%.*}.flac"; done

You will also need to copy the ffmpeg.exe into same folder as the dsf files.

Last edited:
What MacOS app converts SACD to FLAC?

SACD Extractor from TRAX can do it, but it's not free.

XLD can convert dsf to flac. It’s free.

No support for multi-channel to multi-channel. AFAIK, it only converts to stereo.

Foobar2000 May do it with the SACD component installed (just like Foobar for Windows).

Also:

Looks like ffmpeg will do it. Download the MAC version and run this script in the folder with your DSF files:

for i in *.dsf; do ffmpeg -i "$i" -af "lowpass=24000, volume=6dB" -sample_fmt s32 -ar 88200 "${i%.*}.flac"; done

You will also need to copy the ffmpeg.exe into same folder as the dsf files.

You still need to extract SACD ISO first and then get the ISO converted to DSF. I don't think FFMpeg will do that and Foobar2000 for the Mac is a POS stand-alone player with no support for components (which they claim wouldn't work anyway since they are Windows specific components and wouldn't work on a Mac anyway).

I presumed you can go directly from SACD disc to DSF on a MAC? Is that not correct? (I'm a Windows user)

If you have a drive that will read them.

I've got VMWare Fusion and Windows 10 installed here, but something went wrong when I upgraded to SSD drives on my MacMini that it can no longer see the Windows 10 partition for some odd reason (I read about some long confusing way to fix it, but for now I have to reboot directly into Windows 10. I've got a program that lets each side read the others drives so I can decode in Windows with free software; it's just a bit of a PITA to reboot back and forth. VMWare Fusion used to be great for just using utilities. I guess I should take the time to fix it (always afraid something might go wrong and trash it). The sad thing is the new M1 Macs can't run Windows 10 anymore (well at least not the Intel version). I'm not happy about Apple's direction in that regard. I had many years of gaming in Mac or Windows with Steam when they shared Cpus and OpenGL libraries.

Yeah but if it works, I am fine with paying $35.

I guess it depends on how many discs you have to convert. I haven't tried it so I can't verify it. I think they have a free trial, though.

I presumed you can go directly from SACD disc to DSF on a MAC? Is that not correct? (I'm a Windows user)
I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking, but you can’t go directly from SACD to DSF on a Mac or Windows PC.

First post in this forum, but fwiw I use DSDMaster on the Mac. $30, does both stereo and multitrack conversions.

As for getting the def... look into the various posts referenced elsewhere about ripping SACDs. One path relies upon some Sony 3D blu ray players that had a hole to be exploited... and they're pretty readily available out there.

I guess it depends on how many discs you have to convert. I haven't tried it so I can't verify it. I think they have a free trial, though.
I have 31 SACDs. Maybe 10 or so of those I have been able to acquire backups in other ways. So yeah I think for 15-20 SACDs it's worth it. IF it works.

I have 31 SACDs. Maybe 10 or so of those I have been able to acquire backups in other ways. So yeah I think for 15-20 SACDs it's worth it. IF it works.
What exactly are you trying to do? Am I correct in understanding you only have an OS X Mac? Do you just have SACDs or do you have iso files? Do you want flac backups of just stereo material? Or do you want also want to create flac backups of multichannel material?

Either way, TRAX won’t be of any use to you if all you have are the SACDs. It’s only of use if you have the iso files from the SACDs. And if you’re only interested in stereo, just use free XLD - it’s simple, free, and effective.

Note: The free trial of TRAX appears to only allow the conversion of the first 3 tracks of an album.

I was trying to get an answer from MagnumX who said: "I've found some conversion utilities for Windows only (e.g. To convert SACD to FLAC). There's one for the Mac, but it isn't free." Not ISO to FLAC, or some other permutation. From the SACD disc to FLAC. And for me, I do want surround as well. I am not interested in stereo.

I was trying to get an answer from MagnumX who said: "I've found some conversion utilities for Windows only (e.g. To convert SACD to FLAC). There's one for the Mac, but it isn't free." Not ISO to FLAC, or some other permutation. From the SACD disc to FLAC. And for me, I do want surround as well. I am not interested in stereo.
Unlike CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, etc, there is no program(s) with which you can directly rip/convert from SACDs to FLAC on Mac or PC. You have to rip the iso file from the SACD first - THEN you can create flac or whatever from the iso. It’s a hardware thing, not a software thing.

There is chapter and verse on ripping SACDs with a web search. But long story, short, you need a particular model of Playstation 3 or one of a few particular models of Oppo or Sony SACD players (and maybe some others?) - along with some specifically designed software - in order to extract iso files from SACDs. Once you have the iso file THEN you can utilize TRAX or XLD to create flac files.

FWIW I actually use a program called “iso2dsd“ to create stereo & Mch dsf files from iso’s - which can then be converted to flac (if I wanted to - but I keep everything as dsf). Unfortunately even though IIRC iso2dsd is supposed to work on OS X, I’ve only been able to get it to work on a PC.

Last edited:

I meant SACD ISO dumps. One typically needs a PS3. I've read about some compatible drives out there, but I don't know if one can be used directly on a Mac with any software or not to dump it.

I meant SACD ISO dumps. One typically needs a PS3. I've read about some compatible drives out there, but I don't know if one can be used directly on a Mac with any software or not to dump it.
As I wrote, it’s a hardware problem more than a software problem. VERY simply put, the hardware needs to be able to be hacked to output unencrypted iso files. The PS3 and Sony/Oppo players/drives (and a few others) I mentioned above are capable of being hacked (unitentionally or perhaps intentionally).

AFAIK there are no mac or PC external drives capable of doing so.

Back