SACD ISO playback in Kodi

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
I just noticed on the Kodi forum that someone is working on an add-on that allows Kodi to play SACD ISO files.

Currently it’s working for the stereo layer with a change coming to enable mch soon.

I’ll post here once it’s released.

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

PC only or is there talk of it working on Android as well?

I downloaded Music Media Helper. Is there an easy way to open my 4.0 MLP encoded DVD-AUDIO disc, add a silent center and convert the 5.0 DVD-AUDIO Files to Multichannel FLAC Files? When I open the MMH program, it refers to MKV Files, which I don't use. Easy advise or a link GREATLY would be appreciated!!

No. You need to use one of the DVD-Audio disc decryption/rip/conversion programs mentioned in the other thread. (DVD Audio Extractor etc). Rip/convert to quad FLAC then use MMH to convert add the silent channel.

EDIT: If you already have an SACD ISO file (you mentioned in the other thread yesterday) you can use Foobar with its SACD component to convert the tracks to FLAC, then use MMH to add the silent channel.

Foobar SACD component:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_input_sacd/

Last edited:
No. You need to use one of the DVD-Audio disc decryption/rip/conversion programs mentioned in the other thread. (DVD Audio Extractor etc). Rip/convert to quad FLAC then use MMH to convert add the silent channel.

EDIT: If you already have an SACD ISO file (you mentioned in the other thread yesterday) you can use Foobar with its SACD component to convert the tracks to FLAC, then use MMH to add the silent channel.

Foobar SACD component:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_input_sacd/
Thanks SOOOOO much! I was finally able to convert those 4.0 MLP discs to FLAC! I guess the only other thing I need to know is how to Remove the Watermark from my commerical DVD-Audio discs first. I have a trial version of DVDFAB which says it can do that.

HomerJAU, can you please provide the link to the original Kodi forum post about this?

Thanks!

PC only or is there talk of it working on Android as well?

Sorry, I missed your post.

Kodi add-ons are generally Operating System agnostic. They should work in Kodi regardless of OS: Windows, MACOS, Linux, Android etc.

Is the add-on able to distinguish the meta data so you’re able to jump between tracks in between the ISO-file (like foobar)?

Is the add-on able to distinguish the meta data so you’re able to jump between tracks in between the ISO-file (like foobar)?

I can't imagine it not being so. I will test it later today but don't really need the function now that I have ripped mine to both dff and flac.

I upgraded to Kodi 19 alpha nightly build, installed the SACD add-on, and got it working, but I only see the stereo tracks. I also got some noise and had to change some settings. I recommend turning down the volume when testing this!

My dff files play fine in multichannel and no strange noise from any of the audio settings. It converts to high bitrate pcm on the fly.

I won't be using the iso playback but good to see they added it. My limited experience is that it's a work in progress.

Thanks.

Kodi 19 release is still a fair way off, so maybe not recommended for day to day use yet. Up to you, of course. (The more testers the better)

Thanks.

Kodi 19 release is still a fair way off, so maybe not recommended for day to day use yet. Up to you, of course. (The more testers the better)

I installed it on my server pc which I rarely use Kodi on so it's a good testing machine. I tend to use Musicbee mostly on this PC while I am manipulating files and surfing music forums and such.

Thanks for the update, Homer - sounds like Kodi is almost there :)

Kodi, on my Nvidia Shield TV, is my main media player and not being able to play SACD iso files is one of my barriers to playing SACD content - both stereo and multichannel - as I've ripped my SACDs but I haven't completed converting the iso files to a playable format, like FLAC. Faffing around on computers to do this is a pain in the butt I currently don't have the inclination to endure.

The other barrier is that I'd really love to have all my media on a solid-state hard drive for better performance, but the amount of storage I need is pricey compared to the equivalent in HDDs. I reckon I could be happy with a 1TB USB drive (obviously, not available yet) and just have my favourite music connected directly into the Nvidia, but it's going to be some time before that's going to happen. Fwiw, I use Plex media server on the Nvidia to stream music around the house and when I'm out and about, as it were, so that's why I'm to make everything work through it: Kodi for main hifi duties and Plex for when I want music on the go.

Back