SACD ISO playback in Kodi

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get 1TB SSD USB drives now. Samsung has them. Expensive of course. The only benefit is faster copying, playback you font need that speed.

Windhoek: I would suggest go easy on connecting a USB direct to the Nvidia Shiled if you want to use it as more storage to read and write to/from. There have been many reports on destroyed thumd drives when connected as internal storage, they simply aren’t made for that kinds of speed transfers and data volumes, they said. Nvidia suggest that if you want to add on more storage, rather use an SSD or flashdrive instead because they are built for higher speeds. Or do use a NAS for that purpose, I have connected a NAS with four slots of 4tb discs via LAN to the Shield, works like a charm. More on this on Nvidia Shields forum.

Windhoek: I would suggest go easy on connecting a USB direct to the Nvidia Shiled if you want to use it as more storage to read and write to/from. There have been many reports on destroyed thumd drives when connected as internal storage, they simply aren’t made for that kinds of speed transfers and data volumes, they said. Nvidia suggest that if you want to add on more storage, rather use an SSD or flashdrive instead because they are built for higher speeds. Or do use a NAS for that purpose, I have connected a NAS with four slots of 4tb discs via LAN to the Shield, works like a charm. More on this on Nvidia Shields forum.

Interesting! My preference for USB sticks is that they run a lot easier than HDDs which need more power to spin - maybe it's best I just stick to sold-state memory of some sort as I'd be loath to damage either my Nvidia or and HDDs.

Fwiw, I'd only use it for reading music, that's it - no writing required as I'll do that on my computer.

Maybe there’s an add-on setting to prefer Multichannel like the Foobar component?

One would think but if there is they're hiding it pretty well. I'm sure that's a targeted feature though, clearly it is needed.

When I first looked at either the Kodi or gitbub dev page there was zero explanation for use or mention of features that did/didn't work etc.

Haven't checked lately though to see if any updates have gotten pushed.

Anyone get this working on Linux? My audio laptop is running latest version of Mint, I cannot find this add on

SACD ISO and Multichannel playback in Kodi 19 Beta 2 confirmed by a user on the Kodi forum today on Windows.

Thanks!

Does anyone know it works in any Kodi Android build?

The Kodi SACD add-on with MCH fix was only updated for the next official Kodi release (Version 19 code named Matrix). Its Included in the Kodi 19 add-on repository (Kodi’s standard add-on storage), so you’ll need to install Kodi 19 Beta 2 (latest pre-release) or a later nightly test build to use the latest Kodi SACD add-on.

The Kodi SACD add-on for current release (Kodi 18) does not play MCH ISOs.

SACD ISO and Multichannel playback in Kodi 19 Beta 2 confirmed by a user on the Kodi forum today on Windows.

ISO's aren't showing up for me with beta 2. Added source folder, under files, for image iso's, created shortcut to favorites, browsed to favorites, browsed to iso folder, no iso's are showing.

edit...this was in Kodi's music section.
NVM...reading is fundamental. It is an add-on. Don't really care enough about this because I have ripped all my SACD's to both DSF and FLAC. Sure others will appreciate this.

Last edited:
The latest SACD add-on is not a zip it’s in the Kodi 19 add-on repository.

Thanks. Add-on's have zips too. Used them many times. Used repository too, but didn't see a link. How is the add on working for you?

Edit...link to zip I tried. (0.1.2-Matrix)

Last edited:
I'm happy to report it's working well in Kodi Android 19 Beta 2 running on a 2017 Nvidia Shield TV connected to a Denon AVR-X3200

There are a few rips I have where the multichannel layer is 'seen' but only stereo PCM audio is sent out but those appear to be limited to discs with only 4.0 vs 5.1 channels of audio. Foobar in Windows will behave the same on those when in WASAPI mode and I have to switch it to Directsound mode to get the multichannel PCM.

Overall this is a huge win and a game changer for me.

I'm happy to report it's working well in Kodi Android 19 Beta 2 running on a 2017 Nvidia Shield TV connected to a Denon AVR-X3200

There are a few rips I have where the multichannel layer is 'seen' but only stereo PCM audio is sent out but those appear to be limited to discs with only 4.0 vs 5.1 channels of audio. Foobar in Windows will behave the same on those when in WASAPI mode and I have to switch it to Directsound mode to get the multichannel PCM.

Update: sorry to report there is currently a major problem with this plugin for people who use .iso movie images. Detailed here

There are no 4.0 SACDs. They all are 5.0 or 5.1. The format doesn't support it I guess. For quad recordings they usually go 5.0 with one silent channel.

There are no 4.0 SACDs. They all are 5.0 or 5.1. The format doesn't support it I guess. For quad recordings they usually go 5.0 with one silent channel.

Thanks good to know, even more reason the plugin should have a good chance to be able to play these at some point.

Back