SACD Mastering at Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab with Rob LoVerde

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey that was great. Thanks for the post. I love this behind the scenes stuff & learning how the pros make their decisions, etc.
I noticed his comments on auditioning the tape flat, very neutral & transparent. I casn't help but wonder what equipment he is using for this. I think I saw a Krell amp on the floor & the acoustical treatment. I can't deduce what monitor speakers he is using. Since set ups like this are for nearfield, when/how would the approach change realizing most people will not have a similar set up?

Hey that was great. Thanks for the post. I love this behind the scenes stuff & learning how the pros make their decisions, etc.
I noticed his comments on auditioning the tape flat, very neutral & transparent. I casn't help but wonder what equipment he is using for this. I think I saw a Krell amp on the floor & the acoustical treatment. I can't deduce what monitor speakers he is using. Since set ups like this are for nearfield, when/how would the approach change realizing most people will not have a similar set up?

Not sure what headphone amp he has on the desk.
The Analog to Digital Converter in the equipment rack (at 1:20 in the video) is a Merging Technologies Horus.

Horus_ProductShot_1000px.png

https://www.merging.com/products/interfaces/horus

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab is taking you to their studio for a look at SACD Mastering with mastering engineer Rob LoVerde in this YouTube video

Thanks Brian for bringing this to our attention, great to hear it from the source.
Does anyone know what sample rates they typically digitize to?
Looks like the Horus handles -
44.1 – 384 kHz PCM - DXD and DSD64/128/256

This reminds me of that Kevin Gray (AP) mastering job on the SACD of Bluesy Burrell I noted here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...sacd-stereo-or-mono.18704/page-39#post-442067
If anyone has an early LP of this album, I'd like to know if Hawkins' sax is as forward and overpowering on those also?

Thanks Brian for bringing this to our attention, great to hear it from the source.
Does anyone know what sample rates they typically digitize to?
Looks like the Horus handles -
44.1 – 384 kHz PCM - DXD and DSD64/128/256

This reminds me of that Kevin Gray (AP) mastering job on the SACD of Bluesy Burrell I noted here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...sacd-stereo-or-mono.18704/page-39#post-442067
If anyone has an early LP of this album, I'd like to know if Hawkins' sax is as forward and overpowering on those also?

The Horus does handle all of those bit rates - in Stereo and Multichannel.

For SACD work, Mobile Fidelity initially did the Analog to Stereo SACD transfers at DSD 64 - the format on an SACD disc.
Later on, Mobile Fidelity switched to Analog to DSD 256 transfers which are then transferred to DSD 64 for SACD release. (Hence the need for the Horus which handles DSD 256 as you noted).

Last edited:
Back