SACD old/new player vs new AVR

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipis_1

Hi.
I have old Denon DVD-1030 wich can play SACD and situation is not too good but clear. The only multichannel output from SACD part is analog 5.1 RCA. HDMI 1.1, coaxial and optical are useless for SACD (I read it but couldn't check), but they can be used for DD and DTS 5.1. So to get 5.1 SACD I need AVR with 7.1 input like Marantz sr6015 (quite expensive). As I understand my Denon convert DSD to analog using his own DAC and this is the only option for me at the moment. Am I right?
What about new SACD players? I saw newer Denon SACD player today and it had 2.0 analog output and digital coaxial&optical. No HDMI, no 5.1 RCA. Does it mean it cannot play 5.1?
What about combo players eg. Pioneer UDP-LX500? How to get the best sound from SACD discs? Do I need HDMI with DSD option in AVR? Marantz sr6015 and Denon X3700H have it I think but costs much more than lower 7.1 models which don't have it. And DSD will be converted (88.1 kHz) or send bit by bit to AVR?
More questions than answers... I'm asking because I need to choose AVR for Atmos 5.1.2 feature but also need SACD/dvdaudio 5.1 playing.
Any proven advice is welcome.

EDIT. Wrong Denon dvd model

Last edited:
Hi.
I have old Denon DVD-1090 wich can play SACD and situation is not too good but clear. The only multichannel output from SACD part is analog 5.1 RCA. HDMI 1.1, coaxial and optical are useless for SACD (I read it but couldn't check), but they can be used for DD and DTS 5.1. So to get 5.1 SACD I need AVR with 7.1 input like Marantz sr6015 (quite expensive). As I understand my Denon convert DSD to analog using his own DAC and this is the only option for me at the moment. Am I right?
What about new SACD players? I saw newer Denon SACD player today and it had 2.0 analog output and digital coaxial&optical. No HDMI, no 5.1 RCA. Does it mean it cannot play 5.1?
What about combo players eg. Pioneer UDP-LX500? How to get the best sound from SACD discs? Do I need HDMI with DSD option in AVR? Marantz sr6015 and Denon X3700H have it I think but costs much more than lower 7.1 models which don't have it. And DSD will be converted (88.1 kHz) or send bit by bit to AVR?
More questions than answers... I'm asking because I need to choose AVR for Atmos 5.1.2 feature but also need SACD/dvdaudio 5.1 playing.

from what ive found at looking for newer avr s...the only options r a marantz...preferably stay in the 6000 or up+ series as the 5000 series NO dsd processing over hdmi....yep their spendy good luck

I have old Denon DVD-1090 wich can play SACD and situation is not too good but clear. The only multichannel output from SACD part is analog 5.1 RCA. HDMI 1.1, coaxial and optical are useless for SACD (I read it but couldn't check), but they can be used for DD and DTS 5.1. So to get 5.1 SACD I need AVR with 7.1 input like Marantz sr6015 (quite expensive). As I understand my Denon convert DSD to analog using his own DAC and this is the only option for me at the moment. Am I right?
DSD was first included with HDMI v1.2, I believe.
From your description, that seems like it.
What about combo players eg. Pioneer UDP-LX500?
Dunno. You have a spec sheet?
How to get the best sound from SACD discs? Do I need HDMI with DSD option in AVR?
Gnarly question. HDMI with DSD capabilities in the AVR is the obvious one. (I prefer ripping them and playing the files.)
And DSD will be converted (88.1 kHz) or send bit by bit to AVR?
Dunno. You have to do the research, I guess. My Marantz plays DSD directly but I can also have it sent as 24/176.2 PCM.

BTW, it is not a crime against humanity to convert DSD to PCM and that will allow for DSP which you cannot do with DSD.

Kal's correct about only HDMI 1.2 and higher being able to transmit SACD data. Digital coax and optical were never allowed/approved to transmit SACD data, so that leaves you with only the multi-channel RCA out's. UNLESS, your Denon DVD-1090 has a "Denonlink" network jack in the back. Denonlink 3rd generation and above (should be marked right by the jack) were able to transmit SACD data. Of course, you'd also have to have a Denon receiver that's also equipped with Denonlink 3rd generation or above. I think it went as high as 4th generation. I'm also seeing some mention on the internet about Denonlink HD which probably replaced it, but I've not heard of until now. In any case, their new models look to have dropped Denonlink altogether since HDMI can now do it all.

Denon sold a snake oil cable to accomplish the job, for ridiculous money. I'm using a simple 6 foot CAT5e SSTP (shielded stranded twisted pair) with shielded ends which cost me under $18 shipped to do the same job. No complaints.

But, I'm not able to find any documentation or even pictures of a Denon DVD-1090, did you type the model number correctly?

Hi.

Question..

R u really seton doing Atmos...if not just get sn older cheaper avr w analogs

My mistake. It's Denon DVD-1930.
Thanks, that's better.

Indeed you are limited to only the analog out jacks for for SACD stereo and multi-channel playback. But it looks like it should output multi-channel DVD-A and DVD-V over HDMI (plus Dolby and DTS). This model appears to have been low enough to not have Denon Link included.

As far as Atmos capable receivers and disc players, I can't offer any help as I'm not Atmos capable myself. There are a few sections specific to Atmos and modern hardware to peruse through, but there are these two current discussions that might help steer you: the Reavon player and this one.

Thanks, that's better.

Indeed you are limited to only the analog out jacks for for SACD stereo and multi-channel playback. But it looks like it should output multi-channel DVD-A and DVD-V over HDMI (plus Dolby and DTS). This model appears to have been low enough to not have Denon Link included.

As far as Atmos capable receivers and disc players, I can't offer any help as I'm not Atmos capable myself. There are a few sections specific to Atmos and modern hardware to peruse through, but there are these two current discussions that might help steer you: the Reavon player and this one.
I checked HDMI in my DVD-1930 with older Denon avr and DVDaudio plays fine even with 192KHz but as I was supposed no SACD via HDMI.
Reavon player? This could be interesting. I have to read about it. Pioneer LX500, I am interested, is hard to find and probably not available for the next few months due to chinese fire.

Reavon player? This could be interesting. I have to read about it.
I haven't been keeping up with the Reavon thread and had to dig to find it because I couldn't remember the brand name. I'm scanning through it now, and can't say if anyone on the forum has bought one yet. It actually looks like the thread veered away from the starting topic a bit.

A player doesn't need to support Atmos specifically - it's stored as extra data inside a Dolby TrueHD stream.

Any player that can output a Dolby TrueHD bitstream - which is any half-decent Blu-ray player - should work with a Dolby Atmos-capable receiver. (Barring bugs) That includes plenty of older players produced before Atmos.

Back