SACD or DVD-Audio for the Doors Albums?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum!

The liner notes for the SACDs state they were created from the DVD-A PCM files, so you probably shouldn't hear any difference between them. The advantage with the SACDs is that you can collect individual albums, while the DVD-As were only released as a box set (Perception). I'll also warn you that the first album isn't really much of a surround mix, as it was originally recorded to four tracks. All the instruments are the fronts, the vocals are in the center channel, and the rears are simply reverb.

For my money, the best Doors surround release is The Singles CD/Blu-Ray set, which includes the 1973 quadraphonic mix of the Best Of The Doors album. Personally, I like the old quad mixes better than the new 5.1's.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

The liner notes for the SACDs state they were created from the DVD-A PCM files, so you probably shouldn't hear any difference between them. The advantage with the SACDs is that you can collect individual albums, while the DVD-As were only released as a box set (Perception). I'll also warn you that the first album isn't really much of a surround mix, as it was originally recorded to four tracks. All the instruments are the fronts, the vocals are in the center channel, and the rears are simply reverb.

For my money, the best Doors surround release is The Singles CD/Blu-Ray set, which includes the 1973 quadraphonic mix of the Best Of The Doors album.

Thanks so much. I was hoping to hear that it didn't make much difference because, as you say, I can pick them up individually, and there's probably mainly only three I want.

Thanks for the recommendation also. Do you recommend the Singles CD & Blu-Ray set for the quadraphonic mix, or is it for the song selection?

I did look at that set but it doesn't have all the songs I want, so I thought I'd pick up the individual albums.

Also, thanks for the heads up re. the first album; it's a shame because I was hoping "The End" would be particularly epic in surround.

Is there an advantage in sound quality with DVD-Audio, or is it best to go for SACD?

Rango, i was just discussing this topic with another member. A listing of what is the definitive format or release for each Multichannel title. We have enough members who have amassed extensive collections and may have an opinion on this.
I would say the cheapest way would be the Perception box set, the sacd's are from the DVD-Audio mixes anyway. So no to answer the question of an advantage
I would jump on this deal because it's the first release and it's new in box, seller removed plastic to look in keyhole? I believe I paid 119.00 for the second non keyhole release. Some sellers have em listed over 5 Benjamin's. Lol

https://www.ebay.com/i/163649720672...8%26rvr_ts%3D2e1d77e216a0a99c0775575bfff9006e
Now if your looking just for the Doors L.A. Woman I'd go with either one of these 2006 ones as the definitive release because of the 2 extra tracks with 2 videos DVD-Audio with 2 options DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. Stereo tracks on the accompanying CD or HDCD.
The earlier 2000 release was just DD 5.1

https://www.discogs.com/The-Doors-LA-Woman/release/9820611
https://www.discogs.com/The-Doors-LA-Woman/release/8391253

Thanks so much. I was hoping to hear that it didn't make much difference because, as you say, I can pick them up individually, and there's probably mainly only three I want.

Thanks for the recommendation also. Do you recommend the Singles CD & Blu-Ray set for the quadraphonic mix, or is it for the song selection?

I did look at that set but it doesn't have all the songs I want, so I thought I'd pick up the individual albums.

Also, thanks for the heads up re. the first album; it's a shame because I was hoping "The End" would be particularly epic in surround.

You need the Singles Blu-ray for 3 reasons.
1. Amazing price!
2. The Quadraphonic mix of those songs will kick the ass of any other version you will hear. It rocks!
3. It's the Doors...

The song selection isn't the greatest, but the mix is amazing.
Of course like other members state the Best of the Doors Sacd or Blu-Ray is a must buy. The Sacd is great but the Blu-Ray has more Bass and sounds slightly better IMO.
I think buying up all the sacd's may cost more overall in comparison to the Perception set, but I don't buy these Multichannel offering's with the CD stereo tracks in my wheelhouse. I usually give those annoying CD's away. šŸ¤—

Of course like other members state the Best of the Doors Sacd or Blu-Ray is a must buy. The Sacd is great but the Blu-Ray has more Bass and sounds slightly better IMO.

Yeah, I got the SACD back when it first came out, but now the Blu-Ray is my go-to. There's no sense going for the SACD now as it's OOP and quite pricey, as with most AF quad titles nowadays.

Rango, i was just discussing this topic with another member. A listing of what is the definitive format or release for each Multichannel title. We have enough members who have amassed extensive collections and may have an opinion on this.
I would say the cheapest way would be the Perception box set, the sacd's are from the DVD-Audio mixes anyway. So no to answer the question of an advantage
I would jump on this deal because it's the first release and it's new in box, seller removed plastic to look in keyhole? I believe I paid 119.00 for the second non keyhole release. Some sellers have em listed over 5 Benjamin's. Lol

https://www.ebay.com/i/163649720672...8%26rvr_ts%3D2e1d77e216a0a99c0775575bfff9006e
Now if your looking just for the Doors L.A. Woman I'd go with either one of these 2006 ones as the definitive release because of the 2 extra tracks with 2 videos DVD-Audio with 2 options DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. Stereo tracks on the accompanying CD or HDCD.
The earlier 2000 release was just DD 5.1

https://www.discogs.com/The-Doors-LA-Woman/release/9820611
https://www.discogs.com/The-Doors-LA-Woman/release/8391253
Thanks, although that box set's a little too expensive for me. My funds are a little limited.

I'm mainly interested in the self-titled debut album, Waiting for the Sun and L.A. Woman.

Also, I'm new to the world of surround audio, so not really sure what the difference is between DTS and DD but if it's an improvement in quality I'll opt for the one you recommend.
You need the Singles Blu-ray for 3 reasons.
1. Amazing price!
2. The Quadraphonic mix of those songs will kick the ass of any other version you will hear. It rocks!
3. It's the Doors...
I'd agree that the song selection isn't the greatest, but the mix is amazing.
Wow, really that much better than the SACD's? If so then I guess worth a look.

I think buying up all the sacd's may cost more overall in comparison to the Perception set, but I don't buy these Multichannel offering's with the CD stereo tracks in my wheelhouse. I usually give those annoying CD's away. šŸ¤—
Thanks, although that box set's a little too expensive for me. My funds are a little limited.

I'm mainly interested in the self-titled debut album, Waiting for the Sun and L.A. Woman.

Also, I'm new to the world of surround audio, so not really sure what the difference is between DTS and DD but if it's an improvement in quality I'll opt for the one you recommend.

Wow, really that much better than the SACD's? If so then I guess worth a look.
Hang on, wait, there are Blu-ray releases?

Dolby Digital DD was the 1st big improvement over previous audio sound, Dolby DTS Dolby Theatre Surround usually Trump's DD again little more kick and clarity. Than again there have been some recent releases in just the lesser DD, but anything in surround beats stereo.

Too bad you live across the pond I've two receivers boxed up collecting dust a Denon 5.1 ( don't remember the model) and a Yamaha RX-V667 7.2

Hang on, wait, there are Blu-ray releases?

It gets a bit confusing with all the different Doors surround releases. Here's the deal:

In 1973, the Best Of The Doors compilation album was issued on quadraphonic LP, 8-track, and reel formats. That old mix was reissued on SACD by Audio Fidelity in 2015, and then it was issued again on Blu-Ray by Rhino in 2017. The Rhino and Audio Fidelity releases are the same mix, but different masterings. Most people say the Blu-Ray sounds better.

In 2000, L.A. Woman was released on DVD-Audio with a new 5.1 mix. Then in 2006, the entire catalog was remixed to 5.1 and released on DVD-A as the Perception box set. Several years later, Analogue Productions reissued those same 5.1 mixes (as SACDs this time) in the Infinite box set, as well as individual album releases.

So, you have the entire catalog in 5.1, available on both DVD-A and SACD, along with the unique quad mix of the Best Of album, which is available on SACD and Blu-Ray.

Hope that clears it up...

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm in over here in dear old blighty...and those things weigh a ton lol. I've got my eye on the Sony STRDN1080. It's within my price range and supports HD audio. I need to look a little closer into it to see if it'll decode DVD-Audio properly, but that's the one I've got my eye on.
It gets a bit confusing with all the different Doors surround releases. Here's the deal:

In 1973, the Best Of The Doors compilation album was issued on quadraphonic LP, 8-track, and reel formats. That old mix was reissued on SACD by Audio Fidelity in 2015, and then it was issued again on Blu-Ray by Rhino in 2017. The Rhino and Audio Fidelity releases are the same mix, but different masterings. Most people say the Blu-Ray sounds better.

In 2000, L.A. Woman was released on DVD-Audio with a new 5.1 mix. Then in 2006, the entire catalog was remixed to 5.1 and released on DVD-A as the Perception box set. Several years later, Analogue Productions reissued those same 5.1 mixes (as SACDs this time) in the Infinite box set, as well as individual album releases.

So, you have the entire catalog in 5.1, available on both DVD-A and SACD, along with the unique quad mix, which is available on SACD and Blu-Ray.

Hope that clears it up...
Yes, thanks, that's brilliant. I think I'm definitely going to get one of those 2017 Rhino releases, as well as the SACD's

When I initially saw The Best of the Doors had a surround release I thought it was a 5.1 remix of The Very Best of The Doors, which would have been fantastic. Who knows, maybe they'll get around to to that at some point. If so they'll have my pre-order.

Lol, thanks :) Added to basket (unfortunately no cash until Friday).

I consider the Perception box set personally remastered from the original analogue masters by Door's engineer Bruce Botnick THE definitive version. I paid roughly $65 brand new, delivered when it was originally released and NEVER LOOKED BACK.

The recent and excellent Rhino/Warner BD~A 4.0 is a NICE addenda ....... but is only for completists and is NO WAY REPRESENTATIVE of the PERCEPTION BOX.

And where's the Door's Absolutely LIVE in 5.1 ..... didn't B. Botnick mention he was 'considering' a remix?

See the source image

Last edited:
The recent Rhino/Warner BD~A is a NICE addenda ....... but is only for completists and is NO WAY REPRESENTATIVE of the PERCEPTION BOX.

I'd have to disagree with that. The 5.1 mixes are more front-leaning with heavy use of the center channel, while the quad has much more going on in the rears. "Soul Kitchen", "Light My Fire", "Take It As It Comes", and "Love Me Two Times" in 5.1 are strictly ambient, yet the quad versions actually try to be discrete despite the limited source. "Riders On The Storm" in quad absolutely wipes the floor with the newer 5.1 mix.

I'd say the BD-A is the one to get for the casual fan, and the box is for the collectors/completists. Glad to have both though!

I'd have to disagree with that. The 5.1 mixes are more front-leaning with heavy use of the center channel, while the quad has much more going on in the rears. "Soul Kitchen", "Light My Fire", "Take It As It Comes", and "Love Me Two Times" in 5.1 are strictly ambient, yet the quad versions actually try to be discrete despite the limited source. "Riders On The Storm" in quad absolutely wipes the floor with the newer 5.1 mix.

I'd say the BD-A is the one to get for the casual fan, and the box is for the collectors/completists.

To each his own, Jonathan ....... but I actually consider BOTH as essential. Besides, the DVD~A Stereo on the first album sounds SUPREME on my system and apply DSP if you must.

When the Perception Box Set was initially released ..... do the math ..... 6 MLP DVD~A 5.1 discs + 6 RBCDs in a nifty box ...... a little over $5 PER DISC. And as we ALL know, when it comes to ANY Surround Titles ...The Early Bird DOES CATCH THE WORM....and those that come late to the party ..... SQUIRM!ć€½ć€½ć€½

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm in over here in dear old blighty...and those things weigh a ton lol. I've got my eye on the Sony STRDN1080. It's within my price range and supports HD audio. I need to look a little closer into it to see if it'll decode DVD-Audio properly, but that's the one I've got my eye on.
Yes, thanks, that's brilliant. I think I'm definitely going to get one of those 2017 Rhino releases, as well as the SACD's

When I initially saw The Best of the Doors had a surround release I thought it was a 5.1 remix of The Very Best of The Doors, which would have been fantastic. Who knows, maybe they'll get around to to that at some point. If so they'll have my pre-order.

Lol, thanks :) Added to basket (unfortunately no cash until Friday).
The Sony STR-DN1080 receiver is a good one, especially for the money, and it has a lot of features generally only seen in higher-priced units (like native DSD decoding for SACDs). It pairs really well with the Sony UBP-X800, which you can get refurb for $100 and change, and you'll be able to play anything with that combo.

Massdrop was selling the STR-DN1080 for $300, but the deal isn't currently live.

Back