SACD Stereo ..mysteries....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since I do not rip SACDs in the way it's done normally (I just record the files in Logic in 96/24, be them in Stereo or 4.0 or 5.1) I was ripping the Steve Winwood "Arc of a Diver" from Japan and I came across a very curious matter...
on the SACD , the fourth song, "Slowdown Sundown" seems to have been sourced from a CD master; the rest of the album seems that it was sourced from the stereo analog 1/4" master..

proof,
top capture is the SACD , the bottom one is the LP both ripped at 96/24..
NOTHING above 20K on the SACD..
wonder what the 21K and 24K lines/noise is...
SW AoaD SACD.png

SW AoaD LP A.png

I feel like asking for 1/7th of the money back for my purchase!!! ;)

Since I do not rip SACDs in the way it's done normally (I just record the files in Logic in 96/24, be them in Stereo or 4.0 or 5.1) I was ripping the Steve Winwood "Arc of a Diver" from Japan and I came across a very curious matter...
on the SACD , the fourth song, "Slowdown Sundown" seems to have been sourced from a CD master; the rest of the album seems that it was sourced from the stereo analog 1/4" master..

proof,
top capture is the SACD , the bottom one is the LP both ripped at 96/24..
NOTHING above 20K on the SACD..
wonder what the 21K and 24K lines/noise is...
View attachment 51407

View attachment 51408

I feel like asking for 1/7th of the money back for my purchase!!! ;)

If you're a betting man, KAP, maybe you can recoup that 1/17th of the purchase price in the form of spare change languishing under your listening room couch cushions!

See the source image

B I N G O ! Mrs.Krunch to the rescue!

And speaking of Steve Winwood: I know his recording career generally didn't align well with the trajectory of multi-channel audio. (Except for those classic early 70s Traffic albums--are there rumors of Island ever having toyed with quad?) But man...why don't we have more of his stuff in surround? I know there's that underwhelming DVD with Clapton at MSG, as well as the Soundstage DVD, which has a better rep. But what I wouldn't give to hear "Gimme Some Lovin" or Low Spark or Arc of a Diver in a good quad or 5.1 mix.

And speaking of Steve Winwood: I know his recording career generally didn't align well with the trajectory of multi-channel audio. (Except for those classic early 70s Traffic albums--are there rumors of Island ever having toyed with quad?) But man...why don't we have more of his stuff in surround? I know there's that underwhelming DVD with Clapton at MSG, as well as the Soundstage DVD, which has a better rep. But what I wouldn't give to hear "Gimme Some Lovin" or Low Spark or Arc of a Diver in a good quad or 5.1 mix.

Awesome...great to know that his voice is still there...after 50+ years!!!
also great to see the huge stars taking my advice about adding a percussionist!!!! ;)

More SACD mysteries!
Santana III from MOFI...sounds great...and after ripping it at 96/24 I discovered that it is ALSO missing some full range info on part of one song, the start of "No one to depend on"....you can actually hear the HF info missing... yeah , I know that we can´t hear 20K but it definitely "trickles down". You can see the missing part even clearer on the frequency spectrum window WITH the "added bonus" of the ultrasonic noise at about 40K from the format´s shortcomings (it was originally planned as BACK UP media)
Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 3.36.28 PM.png

Just a tease for all of us, but we do have this ONE single song on Tidal in Atmos...
https://tidal.com/browse/track/129438666There has to be more out there, c'mon Tidal!!

I would not believe so...not for THAT long!! a 50+ second dropout sounds unlikely...I am guessing that the tape they were given was not good (or missing that part) and they substituted it for the old CD master...

I agree that it would be unusual, but not unheard of. I've got a San Francisco Sound CD of It's a Beautiful Day's first album that has an infuriating single-channel dropout that lasts for minutes and (if my memory isn't playing tricks) even spans multiple songs.

Your theory is probably more likely, though.

Back