DTS-CD SACD to Creative Labs DTS-610 out = DTS disc?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found out about this a few days ago only, quite late as always with me. Just want to let you know the Dts 610 can still be ordered regularly from Creative's German or Austrian webpage. Ordered mine and had it in the mail 2 days later. So if anybody really wants it maybe I can help and order it from there.

Yes you can convert SACD 5.1 to DTS 5.1 and record to the DTS stream to a DAT Deck or CD Recorder very easily.

I am using a Creative DTS-610 encoder with a Sony SACD player model SCD-XE670 as a source drive for 5.1 SACD Music. I have hooked up the 5.1 analogue outputs of the SACD player to the input of the Creative DTS-610.

The DTS-610 encodes the 5.1 analogue audio and puts out a 44.1 kHz DTS stream. This stream can then be recorded on to a Sony DAT (DTC-60ES) deck or my JVC XL-R5000 CD recorder. It’s fully compliant with either of these formats as the DTS stream looks like a standard PCM 44.1 Khz stereo stream. (It just looks like a strero stream but actually has the 5.1 DTS encoded info on it.)

This also works with my old 70's JVC receiver with a CD-4 Quad decoder which conveniently has pre outs on it. I use an Oracle Delphi Mark 1 turntable with a Grado Silver cartridge to feed the JVC receiver. The CD-4 decoder locks on no problem. (The Grado Silver Cartridge is rated to 60,000+ Hz so it easily sends thought the 30 kHz pilot tone for CD-4 Decoding. To make a quad DTS recording, I unhook the Center / Sub input on the DTS-610 and it then sets up as only 2.2 DTS recording. NICE!!! I can then record Quad CD-4 Records to a DTS CD or a DTS DAT tape. This works extremely well.

No issues with copying 5.1 music. Works great for 5.1 DVD-Audio Disks as well. I generally rip those directly via the DVD compatibility mode to 5.1 PCM seperate streams and then encode with the sure code DTS encoder to make DTS 5.1 CD’s. Once I have the DTS CD, I can also copy to DAT to make a 5.1 mix tape. Am listening to one right now.

Feel free to visit my site for additional details and pictures. Still got lots to post as I have just started doing this about a month and half ago. Sounds like others are on the same page based on what I have read on this thread. Am also interested in buying an additional DTS-610 unit if anyone knows where to get one.

best regards,
Paul DeMara
www.pdemara.com

Attachments

• SACD to Creative DTS-610 and DAT.jpg
    SACD to Creative DTS-610 and DAT.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 445
  • SACD to Creative DTS-610.jpg
    SACD to Creative DTS-610.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 441
I have successfully made a recording by feeding my DTS610 straight to my Philips recorder. The Philips will not roll on anything except 44.1 KHZ sample rate, and it identifies the DTS 610 data rate as "bit perfect" meaning 44.1 .

Is that the Philips CDR880? I have one of those and was going to give it a try if that's the model that's working for you with the DTS610. I didn't want to rearrange my whole audio cabinet to reconnect everything if this model wasn't going to work, so I'm hoping you're using the same recorder that I have...

As I record, I push the pause button on the CD Recorder to insert a track break. So you can copy a 9 song tape and create a 9 track DTS recording on your CD Recorder using the DTS-610. May not work this way on all CD recorders.

Vinylguy4

OOHH - this is not a good idea, as it will give to a TAO disc instead of a DAO disc. TAO = Track At Once, DAO = Disc At Once.
You will lose lock between tracks, and certain players & decoders will chop the intro off the new track unless there is up to 2 seconds of audioblack (depending on the lockdown speed of the decoders).
Can you not simply take the encoded bitstream in it's final form & add PQ points? WaveLab will do this, and I suspect SoundForge will also do this.
The trick is to turn off any temp file creation.....

I do not have any problems on any of my players, the dts detection does not seem to ever be interrupted on my players.
I don't use any computer or software, just a straight recording to CDR machine.
If I could find a better way to insert track markers, I would certainly do that.

vinylguy4

If I could find a better way to insert track markers, I would certainly do that.

vinylguy4

what machine do you own?
there has to be something in your instruction manual about changing track numbers without stopping the machine..it's absurd to do that...how could you ever do a proper live recording?...on my tascam you just push the record button (whilst you are already recording)and the track goes from 1 to 2 uninterrupted...on the pioneer/marantz/studer there was a button for it as well...and all the machines I've used can do it automatically or manually in either digital or analogue mode.

Thanks a bunch!!
You are correct, press the RECORD button while already recording to increment the track number.
Pioneer PDR-609, page 33 of the manual, vinylguy4 should have RTFM long ago.
This will especially come in handy when recording 8-tracks, cannot backup and start the recording again with the next track.

vinylguy4

a great bargain..

sadly, even at this price, overseas buyers get the amazon mesage....

"We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination".

creative just didn't have a clue about selling this product....

I'm still having problems with the static.

My Denon CDR converts all sampling rates to 44.1 and records that signal onto the audio CD. The sound level is set to the unit's default; 0.00 dB. I've tried both optical and coax digital inputs. I am at the point where I am ready to start copying and archiving my collection. Could it be that you must have a connection to each of the three analog inputs; front, rear, and center/sub? I have only connected to the front and rear inputs. Didn't see any reason since I am only looking for 4.0 sound and not 5.1.

Any help with my set-up would be so great.

Thanks.

There is no need for a sample rate conversion, since the DTS device uses the correct "CD" rate. If you can turn off the sample rate converter, that might fix it. Never tamper with a compressed signal. Having no connection to the center and sub connection shouldn't produce static, but to make sure, insert shorting plugs into those inputs. A shorting plug is an ordinary RCA plug with the center conductor wired to the shield. Your quadraphonic connection should work just fine. Incidently, never insert a shorting plug into an output. It might not be pretty. In case you think you can't resist this particular temptation, make a 1000 ohm terminator instead, using a 1K resistor in place of the short. Then if you plug it into the wrong jack, no harm done.

The Quadfather

There is no need for a sample rate conversion.

The sampling rate converter is automatic in my Denon CDR. If the unit senses a 44.1 kHz rate, the converter is bypassed or simply makes no adjustment. I have rechecked the owner's manual. There is no mention of being able to disconnect it or to manually set it.

As to the center/sub input, I was just going to insert a headphone adapter jack. "Shorting plug"?

Glen

OK, got a DTS-610 to try for myself. Recording output of DTS-610 to Phillips CDR760 CD recorder. I get a DTS-CD out of it but on playback there is some "popping". It almost seems like over-driven input as it only occurs at loud, percussive moments. I tried both optical and coax out of DTS-610 but with the same results. The recorder does not allow me to set input level for digital signals, nor does the DTS-610 allow me to adjust the output level.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

The "popping" sound may be "clipping"; something that happens when the recording level is set too high.

Of everybody's comments I have read, they all seem to agree that you cannot adjust the signal in any way between the 610 and the recorder. That leaves the only way of making any adjustments to the sound is BEFORE the signal is input to the 610.

A suggestion is the use of a sound board or some similar device. The source signal is too "hot". You need to lower it. You may wish to consider reducing the source signal by 3 to 6 dB and see if that takes care of the problem.

OK, thanks for your help....... in the words of the philosopher H. Simpson, "doh!"

Turns out my source device (Oppo BDP-83) not only allows you to adjust the analog audio output but has volume control on the remote. I'm still wiping the egg off my face. I was so focused on the recorder and DTS-610 I didn't consider the third (or actually first, lol) piece in the chain.

So a slight adjustment and viola! All is well.

Back