DTS-CD SACD to Creative Labs DTS-610 out = DTS disc?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resurrecting an old thread, I am sorry if this was continued elsewhere and I did not see.

I put this gadget, which I had purchased nearly a decade ago, to its first use. Having also finally set up a CD-4 playback system (Matsushita EPC 451 strain gage cartridge, Panasonic decoder) I fed the four channels into the DTS-610 and tried to record the digital out on my CD recorder.

Did not work -- the finished CD played back as static.

Then I tried to capture the DTS stream on a Mac, with QuickTime 7.6.6. QT's "Movie Inspector" said the stream was running at 44.1kHz BUT with 24 bits! COULD THAT REALLY BE? It runs a bit over 2mb/s.

In any case, this was successful: feeding the Mac's optical out to my AV receiver, Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the Center of the Earth" played back in all its 70s quad splendor.

Now I have to figure out how to burn the file to a DVD.

Others' experiences?

I bought one of these and found it does a good job with CDs. I was able to use it to burn my own CD's, which I played in my truck's Clarion DTS system. However, I haven't used it much.

Resurrecting an old thread, I am sorry if this was continued elsewhere and I did not see.

Did not work -- the finished CD played back as static.

Others' experiences?

This is the symptoms I get when the volume on the cd recorder is not set to +- 0, do not want to alter the dts stream in any way.

vinylguy4

So I have continued to make recordings using the Creative DTS-610. I record them using QuickTime 7 on an iMac. I then play them off the iMac, connected to an AV receiver via optical TosLink. The sound is excellent, despite the age and even the condition of some of the LPs.

However, I encountered a number of issues. The iMac's light output is so weak that with anything longer than 3 foot optical cable there is no sound. Worse, on my Mac Mini the optical out produces only a slight chirp (I read with later OS versions the optical out cuts out when an HDMI cable is used. Still, even with the HDMI unplugged, I had no success).

So now I have these .mov files, containing the DTS tracks on the iMac (44.1kHz and 20 bit, per QuickTime) but no way of producing a playable CD or DVD.

Any suggestions?

Hi everyone

I know this thread is pretty old and there is probably little to no interest in the DTS-610 device at this point, but for me it has been the only way to digitally capture SACDs or legacy quad vinyl/tapes. I don't really have the technical experience or funds to buy an expensive four channel soundcard or the sony vegas software, so this has been the cheapest solution I can find.

The device works really well but it is the CD recorder and the recordable discs that have been causing a lot of issues for me lately. I bought an old Phillips CDR-880 off ebay a year or two ago solely for this purpose and was disturbed to find that the only discs it will read are 1-2x AUDIO ONLY CD-R or RW. So I bought a few RWs that worked and have made maybe 20 or so recordings that sound great in the car. However, after being erased 5 or 6 times, the discs usually fail in the middle of the recording and delete whatever I had already. Imagine recording a Q8 (which obviously is not rewindable) and having the recorder display suddenly revert to zero. Needless to say, it's pretty aggravating...I'm not sure if it's the recorder or the discs, but I was under the impression that CD-RWs can be erased and reused more that 5 or 6 times.

So, my question is, is there anyway to capture the DTSWAV stream coming out of the DTS-610 on a computer? I've seen a couple cheap soundcards that have a TOSLINK input online and figure I can just record with audacity and export as WAV. But as we know with DTS-CD if the bitstream is altered in any way during the recording the encoding will be lost.

Has anyone managed to successfully record the DTSWAV stream on a computer and burn to cd?? If so, what software and soundcard to use would be helpful information.

I really don't like dealing with 8-tracks as I'm always afraid they will break in the middle of the recording (my player already ate Argent's In Deep, The Best of the Guess Who, and Santana I), so I want to transfer the few tapes I have left to digital as soon as possible.

Thanks

I gave up on music CD-RW discs, I always seemed to run into a bad spot on the discs.
So I just got a bunch of music CDR discs at costco, hopefully they will last me a long time.
CDR's are working well for me. If I mess up on a track, they were cheap enough to just toss it and try again.
They do still sell music CDRs ( amazon, etc ).

I gave up on music CD-RW discs, I always seemed to run into a bad spot on the discs.
So I just got a bunch of music CDR discs at costco, hopefully they will last me a long time.
CDR's are working well for me. If I mess up on a track, they were cheap enough to just toss it and try again.
They do still sell music CDRs ( amazon, etc ).

I meant to respond sooner but thanks for the advice...I found a 30 pack of Maxell Music CDRs on Amazon and they seem to work for the most part. The recorder often gets an "OPCFAIL" error but after 2 or 3 tries (and sometimes turning it sideways) it will read them and record fine.

I managed to repair and save a few Q8s but my player has inconsistent speed and is likely approaching death.

Back