SACD vs. DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
That's not a flame war!!! :D

In the last year there had been some titles that had been released as SACD in Europe and as DVD-A in USA; i do remember these listed below, am i missing something?

Dire Straits, Brothers in arms
Mark Knopfler, Sailing to Philadelphia
Mark Knopfler, Shangri-la
Depeche Mode, Speak & Spell
Depeche Mode, Violator
Depeche Mode, Music for the masses
Depeche Mode, Playing the angel

I would say order the European releases of the Depeche Mode SA-CD's unless somebody has compared them and knows better.

Chris

I guess the Depeche Mode releases are a no-brainer: the European versions do also contain the DVD with the DTS and DD5.1 mix; the difference is that they also come with a Hybrid-SACD where the US versions only seem to have a redbook CD.
So with the European version you get both! (I haven't checked the DVDs if they have a region coding, though; I can do it tonight if anyone is interested...)
Best regards,
Oliver

Nope - The US versions are CD (PCM Stereo) and DVD - DD5.1 and DTS 96/24 - I have the Euro SACD versions with the bonus DVD - which also has the DTS 96/24 5.1 mix and I can say that the DTS mix and fidelity is quite good - it holds up quite well against the SACD 5.1 mix.

I guess it all depends on whether you want to spend add'l $$$ and time to get the Euro version for SACD. If you are a die hard SACD/DVD-A fan go for the Euro version, if not, the US DTS version will (IMHO) be more than adequate.

Ok guys,
I checked out the DVDs that come with the European sets, and here's what I found:

Music for the Masses, Speak & Spell, Violator:
Region Code: 1,2,3,4,5,6
Video Stream: 720x576@25fps (PAL)
Audio Streams:
- AC3: 5.1, 48kHz/24Bit, 448kbps
- DTS: 5.1, 96kHz/24Bit, 1536kbps
- PCM: 2.0, 48kHz/24bit

Playing the Angel:
Region Code: 2,3,4,5,6 NO RC1!!!
Video Stream: 720x576@25fps (PAL)
Audio Streams:
- AC3: 5.1, 48kHz, 448kbps
- DTS: 5.1, 48kHz, 1536kbps
- PCM: 2.0, 48kHz/16bit

So I guess if you are in RC1 land and your player is not region free you will not be able to play the DVD of the European Playing the Angel set!
For the other three titles you should be fine!

Best regards,
Oliver

OK, for the DM, other titles i am missing?

Back