SACDs in stores

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Went to my local Best Buy. They had a whole section of DVD-A's (including 3 copies of the Eric Johnson), but no SACDs anywhere, not even mixed in with the CDs.

Both of these formats will be doomed to the "specialty format" niche if they don't get more press and shelf space.

:-jon

Jon,

Next time you drop in on BB, go all the way to the back corner of the store where they have the turntables for sale. You'll find the SACD's on a shelf by themselves. I've been in 7 different stores and they were all located in the same spot. Don't ask me what their thinking is on this. You'd think they'd at least put them near the cd section where people could find them. You'll also find a couple of SACD/DVD players back there as well. Seems like they would put these where the rest of the DVD-A/DVD, DVD, cd players are located. Very strange!

OK. I did not look there. I will check it out on my next "visit"!
Thanks for the tip. I actually DID look for SACD players, and could not find those either!

:-jon

Right. They typically have a "Multichannel Audio" section in the back of the Best Buy stores that have both the Sony SACD players and Sony Music SACD discs.

Other places with SACDs these days include Circuit City, Tower Records and Fry's Electronics.

On the web, you'll find SACDs at Acoustic Sounds, Digital Eyes, Elusive Disc and Music Direct.

Back