SACD's rebirth in Hong Kong

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unconfirmed yet, but also ready for release on SACD include Dave Brubeck"s "Time Out" and Yo Yo Ma's "Soul of the Tango".

On Time Out, a better choice would be to get the excellent Analogue Productions edition remastered from the Analog Tapes by Kevin Gray on the Stereo tracks. The Multichannel SACD also has the Sony 3-Channel Stereo mix as well.

Time Out - 3 Channel SACD + Stereo ($30)
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/83633/Dave_Brubeck_Quartet-Time_Out-Hybrid_3-Channel_Stereo_SACD

Time Out - Stereo DSD Download ($24.98)
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...t-Time_Out-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

On July 7, Hong Kong Sony Music set to re-release the original Vic Anesini-remastered "Best of" from Paula Tsui on single-layer stereo SACD (plus a separate CD containing the same music)....as it was originally released. The first 1,000 disc of the re-released SACD will be individually-numbered.

Picture below is my original SACD from waaaaay back....

586109176_85600b6a37.jpg

10393803_932904346771897_6537758768022302779_n.jpg

In advance of the upcoming 2015 Hong Kong High-End Audio Visual Show, HK Sony Music has announced 3 new SACD releases, all pressed in "the EU", that may be of interest to those outside of HK:

Kenny G - I'm In The Mood For Love - The Most Romantic Melodies of All Time (with bonus track for Asian Edition)

Itzhak Perlman, with John Williams/Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra - Cinema Serenade

Various Artists - Best Folks

In addition, HK Universal Music is rumored to be readying 10 new SACD titles for release at the end of this month. HK Warner Music just released 5 stereo hybrid titles. For this year, we are looking at 80 SACD releases so far.

It's that time of the year in HK! The annual HK High-End Audio Visual Show is happening next week and all of the hardware/software companies will be there to promote their latest and greatest products. In terms of SACD, the "Big Three" (HK Sony Music, HK Universal Music, and HK Warner Music) are ready with their latest releases:

HK Universal Music - The company is currently shipping 10 new SACD titles from its local artists (SACDs pressed in Japan by Sony), plus 2 last minute new SACD titles....Lowell Lo's "Beyond Imagination" (upper left, also available on Blu-ray Audio disc) and Xuefei Yang's crossover classical album on the Decca label, "Heartstrings" (bottom middle).

20247409395_7daeace42c_b.jpg

HK Sony Music - Sixteen new SACD releases, almost none of them involves its own local artists.

20253504361_c16e4a1009_b.jpg

The latest SACD releases were:

20284175581_3bd34ce02c_n.jpg
20070973622_f78a289f05_n.jpg
20052610076_b96b3e0b67_n.jpg

HK Warner Music - Released 5 non-compilation SACD titles in early July. Just announced 5 more titles.

20013320319_e29220a8ed_z.jpg

Based upon the current rate of release, the year end total of SACD releases in HK for 2015 will top last year's total of over 120 releases.

HK Sony Music will be releasing the below titles on SACD on August 24th:

Kenny G - Breathless
The Bangles - Greatest Hits
Julio Iglesias - Starry Night

These 3 new SACD releases indicates HK Sony may be releasing on SACD whatever titles it had previously released on K2HD CDs. Hmmm....Chet Atkins/Mark Knopfler's "Neck & Neck" would be a nice title to have on SACD.

Kenny G - Breathless

These 3 new SACD releases indicates HK Sony may be releasing on SACD whatever titles it had previously released on K2HD CDs. Hmmm....Chet Atkins/Mark Knopfler's "Neck & Neck" would be a nice title to have on SACD.

I'd vote for a Chet Atkins SACD !

Way back in February 2003, Brian wrote the below entry at highfidelityreview.com on a compilation SACD released by Cinepoly Records/HK Universal Music for HK actor/singer Leslie Cheung....

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/cinepoly-releases-sacd-by-actorsinger-leslie-cheung.html

Approximately 2 months later, Leslie Cheung committed suicide (depression was likely the cause). Now comes the news that HK Universal Music is preparing to release all of Leslie Cheung's album on SACD. HK Universal Music has been dropping hints of their imminent release within the last days on its Facebook page. There are rumors that this will be a boxset, but there is no confirmation of a boxset or an exact release date. Pictured below are the first 6 Leslie Cheung SACD on the Cinepoly label (a 7th album on SACD was announced tonight)....

20921174149_1c60a6728c_c.jpg

In addition, there are rumors that HK Universal Music will release another 10 SACD titles in additional to the Leslie Cheung titles.

Btw, in the above link, it's quite interesting reading news on hi-res audio from so long ago....especially with hindsight.

HK Sony Music will be releasing the below titles on SACD on August 24th:

Kenny G - Breathless

These 3 new SACD releases indicates HK Sony may be releasing on SACD whatever titles it had previously released on K2HD CDs.

Now, with the addition of 3 more titles being released on SACD (above), I am more confident that HK Sony Music is indeed releasing its K2HD titles on SACD....which means we may see SACD for:

5767279252_c07b1505a5_n.jpg
14301118298_9c4fd4ceab_n.jpg

8480677591_7e6f10baaa_n.jpg
14880639812_d0218400d4_n.jpg

plus John Denver, Yanni, Elvis, Paul Anka, Paul Desmond, Fourplay, etc.

Chet Atkins' "Sails" is one of the SACD titles ready for imminent release from HK Sony Music

21211533415_739b24e0ef_c.jpg

Nice! I'll definitely get the Chet Atkins SACD when it shows up on Yes Asia. :)

Interesting that Sony HK is reissuing their K2 CDs in SACD format.
Looks like Ultimate Manilow, Julio Iglesias and another Kenny G are on the SACD list as well.

So I guess none of these are from a DSD source then. The only K2 I ever heard sounded a bit bright.

This showed up today. 8 day delivery time from amazon seller importcds. $24.35 plus shipping. Sure beats the $39.99 price that you may usually see on this from other retailers.

Attachments

• pastorale_frontback.jpg
    pastorale_frontback.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 264
  • pastorale_diskbooklet.jpg
    pastorale_diskbooklet.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Upcoming SACDs from HK Sony Music:

Bobby McFerrin & Yo-Yo Ma - Hush
Lang Lang - The Chopin Album
Lang Lang - Liszt - My Piano Hero
Isaac Stern - Humoresque - Favourite Violin Encores

Nice! I'll definitely get the Chet Atkins SACD when it shows up on Yes Asia. :)

Interesting that Sony HK is reissuing their K2 CDs in SACD format.
Looks like Ultimate Manilow, Julio Iglesias and another Kenny G are on the SACD list as well.
Sure wish they'd get around to doing those two Santana titles.

Sure wish they'd get around to doing those two Santana titles.

HK Sony Music to release "The Best of Santana", along with Jennifer Warnes' "The Hunter", on hybrid SACD on 12/18/15. SACDs will be pressed in the EU. First 1000 copies of each title will be individually numbered.

HK Sony Music to release "The Best of Santana", along with Jennifer Warnes' "The Hunter", on hybrid SACD on 12/18/15. SACDs will be pressed in the EU. First 1000 copies of each title will be individually numbered.

WOW! Been waiting for the Santana. I'd guess Supernatural is next.

Back