SACD's rebirth in Hong Kong

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:love:

Although Snood gotta add this disclaimer...........urrrrrgh It is China. Not sure what their quality control will be on high end product?

Snood, those Hong Kong SACDs not only come in super jewel audio cases but are usually PRESSED in JAPAN. Buy with confidence, my man. They even have Gold Stamped numbers on the back like the MoFi SACDs.

The Diana Ross is a no brainer for me.

Snood no get the joke? :unsure: but koo :ROFLMAO:
Well, then. It looks like the jokes on me. :love:

I have a bit of ‘twisted’ sense of humor. I read 4 Earred’s Post regarding acquiring the SACD version of the Ms. Ross’s album. Then, I saw what you Posted about having just acquired the CD version. I posted the first thing that popped into my head, it sounded funny (to me, anyway) and I left that innocent comment while half asleep. So, the moral of the story is that I was acting like someone who thinks that vinyl sucks and CD (Redbook) is good enough. But no, that’s not really how I feel. :smokin

Well, then. It looks like the jokes on me. :love:

I have a bit of ‘twisted’ sense of humor. I read 4 Earred’s Post regarding acquiring the SACD version of the Ms. Ross’s album. Then, I saw what you Posted about having just acquired the CD version. I posted the first thing that popped into my head, it sounded funny (to me, anyway) and I left that innocent comment while half asleep. So, the moral of the story is that I was acting like someone who thinks that vinyl sucks and CD (Redbook) is good enough. But no, that’s not really how I feel. :smokin

Kooooooooo Snood make jokes that only make me laugh too a lot of times. Was thinking :unsure: CD's collectible? :unsure: Well some are but......

Snood has vinyl but man oh man - it can be such pain in the butt.........so yeah CD is a lot of time gooooood enough. :LB

Mr. Smithers, darling Diana lives in nearby Greenwich, Connecticut and when her limo pulled up in that tony enclave's shopping district, as the doors opened a cloud of putrid MJ smoke would protrude from the vehicle. Yes, Mr. Smithers, Diana is a major stoner:smokin

I never had any doubt... If I ever get myside eastside US-A I may pay a little visit to Miss Ross, you know what I’m sayin’?

Despite multiple million people marches on the street that resulted in violence, the annual Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show will still be happening in August. Ahead of the show, HK Universal Music announced and shipped 7 new SHM-SACD titles this month.....

48370955441_32540a5b66_b.jpg

I suspect there were 3 more SHM-SACD titles planned for release given the catalog numbers for this series. However, due to the backlash received for certain artists' political stance, his/her/their releases were cancelled. On the other hand, there are indications that HK Universal will issue more titles on regular hybrid SACDs. As for foreign titles on SACD, no news on what will/will not get released.

Both HK Warner Music and HK Sony Music have been silent on the SACD front this year with no releases (so far) in 2019.

2019 saw the return of HK's Crown Records (not to be confused with Japan's Crown Records). Crown Records was one of the first adoptors of the SACD format in HK, resulting in several of its early releases being remastered by Vic Anesini at New York's Sony Studios and having its single-layer stereo SACDs pressed by Sony in Indiana. While Crown Records is a relatively small record company when compared to, for example, HK Universal Music, its catalog contains many valueable and culturally important recordings of HK pop music and is reknown for the recording quality. Since the early 2000's, the company has gone through some hard times, with the founder/producer/recording engineer of the company passing on.....followed by a family feud over the intellectual properties of the company.....and finally, the dissolution of the company. So, it was shocking that it was announced late last year that Crown Records has been revived (for its 60th anniversary)and that its entire catalog will be remastered and titles will be released on CD, SACD, and for certain titles, on vinyl (all pressings by Sony in Japan). As of today, the company has released 20 SACD titles, many of which are appearing on any optical disc for the first time.

Believe me SACDs in those few remaining stores in Hong Kong are rediculously expensive. I do not bother.

As predicted, HK Universal Music announced the release of 9 more titles on stereo hybrid SACD....

48485684461_71053afd6c_b.jpg

The latest 9 SACD titles, along with the SHM-SACD releases, are the only SACD titles released by HK Universal to be sold on an individual basis. All other SACD releases this year from HK Universal have been SACD boxsets. Nonetheless, HK Universal has already released about 50 albums on SACD so far this year. All of the SACDs, including the SHM-SACDs, are pressed in Japan by Sony.

HK Warner Music did announce the release of 2 SACD titles, but otherwise, relatively few SACD news.

The annual HK High End Audio Video Show opened today. HK Universal Music posted the below video of its booth at show on Facebook....

I know this can be a moot point, but...
i wonder why, despite the supposedly long list of HK/Taiwan local singers that did quad back in the seventies, and that is becoming to be well documented here thanks to Mark Anderson, no one had the same idea as Michael Dutton to re-release these at least on the local market. If these recordings are by big local stars...

I know this can be a moot point, but...
i wonder why, despite the supposedly long list of HK/Taiwan local singers that did quad back in the seventies, and that is becoming to be well documented here thanks to Mark Anderson, no one had the same idea as Michael Dutton to re-release these at least on the local market. If these recordings are by big local stars...

I think there may be several reasons:
  • Man Chi Records, being a relatively small, local independent label, probably no longer has the multitrack master tapes anymore. I have several CDs from Man Chi and they were basically "needle drops".
  • The music is too old to raise any interest. I know.....I rolled my eyes too. On top of that, HK's music market was decimated by piracy, with 70% of the market gone.
  • There's just no interest in multichannel music reproduction.
  • There is hardly any reissue labels as we know them here in the US (i.e. Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions, etc.)

Last edited:
The linked article talks about cantopop... no piracy. Wrong link?

Yes and no.

I somehow remember the story in the link mentioned piracy and the 70% figure. I am sorry for pointing you in the wrong direction.

At the same time, piracy is a major factor for declining revenue of Cantopop. HK's IFPI had to lower the sales standard for albums to achieve gold/platinum records status. It used to be 50,000 units sold for a local album to get a platinum album.....it's only 30,000 units now.

There used to be a ton of gold and platinum selling albums, both local and international titles....for example, in 1989. Even Telarc titles received gold records!! Not so much any more.

Last edited:
Back