SACD's Survival

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Afternoon

Mixing Engineer & Artist
I would assume that there would be a good percentage of new releases with NEW content but as I was discussing on Steve Hoffman forums earlier today and doing a bit of research I went ahead and counted the number of SACD releases with new material from 2022 and 2021.

7 total.

• Feel Like Making LIVE! - Bob James Trio
  • Home - Jan Gunnar Hoff
  • Beatitudes for a Wounded World - THVAYHUN
  • Higher - Patricia Barber
  • Heavenly Voices - Fiona Joy Hawkins & Rebecca Daniel
  • Clique - Patricia Barber
  • The Golden Bonana - Mr. Afternoon
All multichannel, but 7 albums with new material on SACD on the past 2 years is abysmal, considering there has been more than 500 SACD releases last year and this year.

Record companies, if you're wondering why the youth isn't buying audiophile formats, try releasing NEW MUSIC on them!

Last edited:
I would assume that there would be a good percentage of new releases with NEW content but as I was discussing on Steve Hoffman forums earlier today and doing a bit of research I went ahead and counted the number of SACD releases with new material from 2022 and 2021.

7 total.

• Feel Like Making LIVE! - Bob James Trio
  • Home - Jan Gunnar Hoff
  • Beatitudes for a Wounded World - THVAYHUn
  • Higher - Patricia Barber
  • Heavenly Voices - Fiona Joy Hawkins & Rebecca Daniel
  • Clique - Patricia Barber
  • The Golden Bonana - Mr. Afternoon
All multichannel, but 7 albums with new material on SACD on the past 2 years is abysmal, considering there has been more than 500 SACD releases last year and this year.

Record companies, if you're wondering why the youth isn't buying audiophile formats, try releasing NEW MUSIC on them!
ah i dunno.. is anything going through a revival right now? 🤷🏻‍♀️

maybe Surround generally? partly thanks to the Spatial Audio Apple Sauce? 🍏🤤

other than that, i don't see much buzzy stuff happening in the audioworld at the moment, especially not SACD.. in a way it feels like we're all just lucky to be alive at the moment!! 😅

Jack, perhaps you should rename the thread SACDs' SURVIVAL.

But there has been an uptick in BD~A audio touting ATMOS remixes of new material which is comforting!

And lest we forget, I'm sure blu ray players capable of playing BD~A are more UNIVERSAL than the actual amount of UNIVERSAL players extant in the average home.

And BD~As can be mass produced more readily [at least in the States] than SACDs which are still being manufactured in Austria due to the sheer lack of SACD pressing plants worldwide.

As the new audio 'darling' Dolby ATMOS continues to make inroads, expect to see more BD~As and fewer SACDs which are incapable of replicating ATMOS!

But do keep in mind that classical labels still continue to introduce new repertoire in the multichannel SACD format including Dutton Epoch which has released PREMIER RECORDINGS newly recorded on SACD [I just purchased a few ... and they are stunning].

DVD~Audio is MORIBUND and MQA is still hanging on by a thread with Universal Japan still releasing new UHQ MQA~CDs every month but for the most part, SACD is 'surviving' but I fear will soon be overtaken by BD~A which IMO, isn't a bad thing!

Definitely not for smaller releases, as Blu-rays from the US are still significantly more expensive to manufacture than SACDs from Austria for smaller runs.
Ironically, SONY invented both formats, owns most of the pressing plants and of ALL the majors has probably released LESS on both formats...including the fact they also don't have to pay themselves royalties!!!!!!!.

Jack, perhaps you should rename the thread SACDs' SURVIVAL.

But there has been an uptick in BD~A audio touting ATMOS remixes of new material which is comforting!

And lest we forget, I'm sure blu ray players capable of playing BD~A are more UNIVERSAL than the actual amount of UNIVERSAL players extant in the average home.

And BD~As can be mass produced more readily [at least in the States] than SACDs which are still being manufactured in Austria due to the sheer lack of SACD pressing plants worldwide.

As the new audio 'darling' Dolby ATMOS continues to make inroads, expect to see more BD~As and fewer SACDs which are incapable of replicating ATMOS!

But do keep in mind that classical labels still continue to introduce new repertoire in the multichannel SACD format including Dutton Epoch which has released PREMIER RECORDINGS newly recorded on SACD [I just purchased a few ... and they are stunning].

DVD~Audio is MORIBUND and MQA is still hanging on by a thread with Universal Japan still releasing new UHQ MQA~CDs every month but for the most part, SACD is 'surviving' but I fear will soon be overtaken by BD~A which IMO, isn't a bad thing!
SACD was on its way out in 2004 (and that's why i never got my cock-a-doody Elton SACDs i'm still waiting for 17 years later!!) and yet SACDs still here!! 🤯🔫

its been on life support for nearly two decades while most of the other formats around then are dead or dying.. and if they are dying then they are doing so with more rapidity than the slow lingering "non-death" of SACD!!! 🥴

"SACD, the format that will not die."

SACD was on its way out in 2004 (and that's why i never got my cock-a-doody Elton SACDs i'm still waiting for 17 years later!!) and yet SACDs still here!! 🤯🔫

its been on life support for nearly two decades while most of the other formats around then are dead or dying.. and if they are dying then they are doing so with more rapidity than the slow lingering "non-death" of SACD!!! 🥴

2005 was when I started getting into SACDs.

True, TRUE, ADAM BLUE, but with ATMOS, which SACDs cannot replicate, the new kid in town, BD~A, even with its higher production costs, will likely squeeze SACD even further.

Just too bad, BD~A with its incredible capacity to hold multiple multichannel content has never really been fully utilized by the Majors ......and by SONY, its inventor.

At least classical German label DGG has been releasing single BD~As with hours upon hours of content, both stereo, 5.1 and even ATMOS but still includes equivalent multiple RBCDs for backwards 'compatibility' if you want to call it that.

TIME MARCHES ON AND THAT OLE ADAGE THE STRONG SHALL SURVIVE applies to the heated contest between the forces of BD~A and tickin' time bomb SACD. Personally, I love both formats and dearly miss MLP DVD~A but hey, there have always been WAAAYYYY too many formats over the years and Joe Q Public and the almighty $$$$ dictate what survives ... and what falls by the wayside!

And as long as the Wizard of Watford continues to wisely release in the 'hybrid' SACD format ..... I WILL BUY!

UNIVERSALLY yours,

RAM...keeper of the 🔥

Last edited:
True, TRUE, ADAM BLUE, but with ATMOS, which SACDs cannot replicate, the new kid in town, BD~A, even with its higher production costs, will likely squeeze SACD even further.

Just too bad, BD~A with its incredible capacity to hold multiple multichannel content has never really been fully utilized by the Majors ......and by SONY, its inventor.

At least classical German label DGG has been releasing single BD~As with hours upon hours of content, both stereo, 5.1 and even ATMOS but still includes equivalent multiple RBCDs for backwards 'compatibility' if you want to call it that.

TIME MARCHES ON AND THAT OLE ADAGE THE STRONG SHALL SURVIVE applies to the heated contest between the forces of BD~A and tickin' time bomb SACD. Personally, I love both formats and dearly miss MLP DVD~A but hey, there have always been WAAAYYYY too many formats over the years and Joe Q Public and the almighty $$$$ dictate what survives ... and what falls by the wayside!

And as long as the Wizard of Watford continues to wisely release in the 'hybrid' SACD format ..... I WILL BUY!

UNIVERSALLY yours,

RAM...keeper of the 🔥
DV SACDs can do something much more better-er.. 💝

)))) Quadraphonic ((((

in all its

Atmos..

- pheric (Front Left)
- pheric (Front Right)
- pheric (Rear Right)
- pheric (Rear Left)

GLORY!!!! 😘❤️

DV SACDs can do something much more better-er.. 💝

)))) Quadraphonic ((((

in all its

Atmos..

- pheric (Front Left)
- pheric (Front Right)
- pheric (Rear Right)
- pheric (Rear Left)

GLORY!!!! 😘❤️
SOON, very SOON, 4 ears will publish THE COLLECTED SONNETS OF BARD FREDBLUE ON QQ FORUM!

With a FORWARD by Sir Elton John!

Last edited:
The youth mostly aren't buying any disc formats, SACD or otherwise. And if ya wanna hate MP3, would they buy that format on disc? Nope. If Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift released their newest songs on SACD or even CD do you think the youth would buy it? Nope.

It's mainly us quadrageezer's keeping the audiophile and surround sound formats alive.

The youth mostly aren't buying any disc formats, SACD or otherwise. And if ya wanna hate MP3, would they buy that format on disc? Nope. If Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift released their newest songs on SACD or even CD do you think the youth would buy it? Nope.

It's mainly us quadrageezer's keeping the audiophile and surround sound formats alive.
Yep, SW, you could fit ALL the music the youth of today purchase in one of Chucky's Kangaroo pouches!

The old stomping grounds for @4-earredwonder, myself and a few others here, at sa-cd.net was a good source of info (but don't believe it updates any longer.

You could menu down from SACD MC Pop/Rock titles etc. but it seems the new one HRAudio.net-
doesn't let you drill down that fine (please let me know if that's not the case?)

https://www.hraudio.net/music.php?format=10&genre=3&label=0&page=1
But check out the above search and you still have to filter for SACD; or go Super Audio CD and filter out for MC.
https://www.hraudio.net/music.php?format=1&genre=3&label=0&page=1

The old stomping grounds for @4-earredwonder, myself and a few others here, at sa-cd.net was a good source of info (but don't believe it updates any longer.

You could menu down from SACD MC Pop/Rock titles etc. but it seems the new one HRAudio.net-
doesn't let you drill down that fine (please let me know if that's not the case?)

https://www.hraudio.net/music.php?format=10&genre=3&label=0&page=1
But check out the above search and you still have to filter for SACD; or go Super Audio CD and filter out for MC.
https://www.hraudio.net/music.php?format=1&genre=3&label=0&page=1
HRaudio.net does pretty much keep up with ALL current SACD releases whether classical, rock, jazz et alia and also BD~A.

Back