Sales revenue from Vinyl outstrips CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just bought a couple of The Groundhogs re-releases on LP, and about 15 CDs, the Marcus Reuter download, all stereo, plus the 'usual' box sets for the surround in the last month or so. Yes, old school physical is my preference as I get a 'connection' with the music (I like the ritual especially with LPs!), but downloads are OK as I've bought quite a few.

What worries me about streaming music is I don't 'own' the copy, and as we've seen with the Mayer Atmos it can be removed at whim. Sadly the world seems to have realised you can scam more money out of people by renting stuff to them, i.e. like most software these days, you buy a licence for a year, grrrr!

Right. Even the operating systems they want to be 'rented'. MS now offers Windows 365. You pay for a license and install from the cloud. You don't have the disc or own the software. If you don't renew, you are SOL.

The old days of having boxes of software for your PCs are going by the wayside, like everything else tangible

I’m okay with rental streaming. I keep telling myself that I can’t take it with me when I pass away.

My disc purchasing is slowing down. The only way I’ll make a purchase now is if something isn’t available on streaming or has been mastered better. Plus, I’ll miss out on the stuff that I just refuse to spend the money on that are overpriced, such as many of these box sets.

I haven't purchased a new/new CD in a long time, the ones I have were NOS, unopened CD's that been on the shelf for a long long time. And I knew exactly what I was getting from doing my homework before.
The rest of my disc purchases were used CDs, and new/used SACD, DVD, BluRays.
I won't mind the disappearance of hard media so-long as,
1. I can pay then download the file to my drive for playback at my convenience.
2. What is offered for download is the same quality as was available on discs.
At this point in time that isn't what we can get sadly.
Specially in the video realm, there is no access to 4k HDR lossless Atmos, Auro, etc in music or movies.
OH, and #3, since they don't bear the cost manufacturing and distributing of the hard product, they should be CHEAPER ! LOL

It is also interesting to not that this refers only to new product. If one were to take into account "pre-owned" sales, Vinyl sales passed CD sales a long time ago.
Vinyl sales or vinyl revenue? Two entirely different things. I would guess CDs stiil slightly outsell vinyl in terms of units (although neither is anything more than a niche product these days).

And why would one take into account sales of items already sold? Does the auto industry do this? And besides, if you did, you’d also have to take used CD sales into account, no?

Which implies that they make more money from a vinyl release than a CD release. Surely this just means that the mark up is higher on vinyl?
No, it indicates (not implies) vinyl is generating more gross revenue, not net revenue. You can’t tell anything about the markup solely from revenue numbers.

Vinyl sales or vinyl revenue? Two entirely different things. I would guess CDs stiil slightly outsell vinyl in terms of units (although neither is anything more than a niche product these days).

And why would one take into account sales of items already sold? Does the auto industry do this? And besides, if you did, you’d also have to take used CD sales into account, no?

And by the same token, the immense used vinyl sales as well. How accurate are these sales figures anyway and WHO REALLY CARES?

We at QQ forum should be more concerned about new SURROUND Product.....something VINYL in this day and age is incapable of. Except for the Suzanne Cianni QS vinyl album, I know of NO other vinyl being reissued in surround.

I also see cassettes being reintroduced yet again. And what is that about? 1 7/8 ips and some of them are going for $25.....suckers being 'reborn' every day!

I'm sticking to digital. I have a veritable fortune invested in very high end digital equipment.....my DACs are up to date and my concern is REALLY more Hi Res Surround product than vinyl, a lot of which is CRAPOLA. If it ain't 180/200g being reissued by boutique companies, the majors are doing no one any favors by releasing the same crappy pressings which drove the majors to embark on CD in the first place!

And by the same token, the immense used vinyl sales as well. How accurate are these sales figures anyway and WHO REALLY CARES?

We at QQ forum should be more concerned about new SURROUND Product.....something VINYL in this day and age is incapable of. Except for the Suzanne Cianni QS vinyl album, I know of NO other vinyl being reissued in surround.

I also see cassettes being reintroduced yet again. And what is that about? 1 7/8 ips and some of them are going for $25.....suckers being 'reborn' every day!

I'm sticking to digital. I have a veritable fortune invested in very high end digital equipment.....my DACs are up to date and my concern is REALLY more Hi Res Surround product than vinyl, a lot of which is CRAPOLA. If it ain't 180/200g being reissued by boutique companies, the majors are doing no one any favors by releasing the same crappy pressings which drove the majors to embark on CD in the first place!
Yes, by the same token. That’s why I wrote “also”.

I bought some of each. I paid more for the LPs. but got more CDs.

I notice a lot of my peers buying modern music on vinyl.
The question is why???? There is literally no benefit if it's from a digital source.
Apparently thats what most of the vinyl sales are coming from. Modern music.
😑

Last edited:
I notice a lot of my peers buying mod6er music on vinyl.
The question is why???? There is literally no benefit if it's from a digital source..
Not necessarily. There can be (and often is) more to it than just cueing up a digital source and pressing Start on the lathe.

But I suspect many (most) don’t know or care either way.

I notice a lot of my peers buying mod6er music on vinyl.
The question is why???? There is literally no benefit if it's from a digital source.
Apparently thats what most of the vinyl sales are coming from. Modern music.
😑

Agreed.
One of my other interests is anime & in that the most collectible item of all is hand drawn cell from one frame of a series or movie. Most all of this animation has been CG for some time even if it done to look like 2D. This has given rise to "Digital Original Cells" where the CG is printed on clear plastic to simulate the real thing. Even has pin registration holes. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I’ve read that it’s a matter of less compression on a vinyl record, as opposed to any digital source delivery method such as CD and Downloads.
Again... not necessarily. There is nothing inherently less compressed about vinyl vs digital.

There are too many possible variables in the chain of each format to make broad statements. Compression, EQ, LP side length, the quality of the DACs used, limiters used (or not used), etc. all contribute to the final product. Then throw in the listener’s system...

Well, then, the true variables must be, being able to interact with the Vinyl Record, looking at the artwork and reading the liner notes. :love:
Those are wholly subjective, but sure they are legit intangibles.

As is, unfortunately, having to find storage space for vinyl...

Well, then, the true variables must be, being able to interact with the Vinyl Record, looking at the artwork and reading the liner notes. :love:

- Reading the jacket notes without a microscope

- Watching my Collaro record changer feel the exact size of the record, play it, and then feel for the next record and shut off when it doesn't find one - You can't see the CD player doing anything

- Being able to cue to any point on the record without arrow keys

- Reading the jacket notes without a microscope

- Watching my Collaro record changer feel the exact size of the record, play it, and then feel for the next record and shut off when it doesn't find one - You can't see the CD player doing anything

- Being able to cue to any point on the record without arrow keys

Aaagh...... my turntable is absolutely manual... even the power supply is a separate box.

You can get very good sound out of an LP, BUT you must have a turntable/tonearm with excellent bearings, stiffness and a very good cartridge and phono preamp.

Otherwise, go Tidal HiFi and spend some money on a good DAC. Those 24/96 masters are the equal of good LPs in my Linn LP12.

Back