Sam Cooke - "Night Beat" (3-channels???) SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kazaam

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I was surfing the web and thought that maybe this new release would be of interest to some here. Unfortunately... It's not surround, but instead looks like it might be one of those SACDs where they separate out the 3 tracks into the front left/center/right channels. At least that's the impression I get from the store's description:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/64338/Sam_Cooke-Night_Beat-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

If I didn't already have this album on regular old CD, then I'd maybe pony up for it just for kicks and grins. But, honestly, 3-channels with nothing in the back doesn't interest me all that much.

Just checked my copy and yes, this is the case. Not surprising since the 3-track was the standard in the era in which this was recorded.

Yeah, isn't that what they did with the M-CH version of Dave Bruebeck's "Time Out"? Or at least I've always assumed since I couldn't ever hear anything in back. I found it interesting as an "alternate take", of sorts; but always ended up preferring the stereo on that disc. Hmmm... I think one of my Living Stereo SACDs might be 3-channel, too. It's like you said, I suppose, in that it was the standard for the times back then.

Have you had the Night Beat SACD very long? I was thinking that maybe it was brand new, but perhaps I just totally missed this one?

Yes, that's exactly what they did with Brubeck, and all of the Living Stereos that they had the 3-track masters for. (A lot of the early Stax stuff was done this way too - sure would like to hear Sam & Dave or Booker T. in 3-track!)

I've only had it a couple of weeks - it's just out! Much better than the last ABCKO release, even in stereo - sonically beautiful, and they found the original jacket art (not essential, but sure a nice bonus). Sweet stuff! There's more in a thread on the Hoffman forums: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=199036

Do you guys who have bought 'Night Beat' like it?
Is there ambient music in the rear channels like the SACD of Kind of Blue by Miles Davies? I think it sounds great so I am hoping they did the same thing with 'Night Beat'
Harold

Please be nice to me. Just "discovered" this wonderful singer and I would like to buy the SACD

Sam Cooke - Night Beat

Do you guys recommend it? How's the quality of the analogue productions release?

Thank you

Regards,

I don't have that one...but I have other 3 channel titles from AP...IMO they do a great job with these vintage recordings..you have to understand what you are buying...even though they have more than 2 channels...it's not surround or have surround elements...what it does have is exceptional fidelity considering the age of the recordings...I have this Sam Cooke Stereo SACD and I'm very pleased with it....I have a couple of 3 channel SACDs from AP and this one is exceptional....it's hard to believe that it was recorded that long ago....this is so well done it could pass as a modern recording...and to be candid most modern recordings aren't this good...if you like the music...it's a no brainer...it's 2 SACDs....what I like about my Sam Cooke title is that it has his hit songs on it....IMO you need to have YOU SEND ME...and CHAIN GANG...2 iconic songs for me that are a must if you are only going to have one Sam Cooke title...

Last edited:
I don't have that one...but I have other 3 channel titles from AP...IMO they do a great job with these vintage recordings..you have to understand what you are buying...even though they have more than 2 channels...it's not surround or have surround elements...what it does have is exceptional fidelity considering the age of the recordings...I have this Sam Cooke Stereo SACD and I'm very pleased with it....I have a couple of 3 channel SACDs from AP and this one is exceptional....it's hard to believe that it was recorded that long ago....this is so well done it could pass as a modern recording...and to be candid most modern recordings don't this good...if you like the music...it's a no brainer...it's 2 SACDs....what I like about my Sam Cooke title is that it has his hit songs on it....IMO you have to have YOU SEND ME...and CHAIN GANG...2 iconic songs for me that are a must if I'm only going to have one Sam Cooke title...

Thank you so much for your kind reply. Yes, I was also thinking to buy Sam Cooke - The Best Of Sam Cooke Stereo SACD title. Thanks for the explanation on the 3 channel titles.

I do own several 3 channel SACD titles in my collection and I think they sound amazing.

Like these ones,

- Nat "King" Cole: Just One of Those Things
- Nat "King" Cole: Love is the Thing
- Nat "King" Cole: St. Louis Blues
- Nat "King" Cole: The Very Thought of You
- Nat "King" Cole: Where Did Everyone Go?
- Nat "King" Cole: The Nat "King" Cole Story
- The Oscar Peterson Trio: We Get Requests

Anymore SACD titles with 3 channel that you recommend?

Thank you.

Regards,

Last edited:
Please be nice to me. Just "discovered" this wonderful singer and I would like to buy the SACD

Sam Cooke - Night Beat

Do you guys recommend it? How's the quality of the analogue productions release?

Thank you

Regards,

I just finished listening to "Night Beat" for the first time in a couple of years..... and needless to say, what an uplifting experience!

This 3-channel (2 fronts & centre) SACD release is filled with spiritual, blues and a couple of jump blues numbers that lifts my inner soul. Sam Cooke was an unique talent that I consider the best vocalist to ever record (of course, I am bias with good reason).

On these recordings, Cooke's vocals (centre channel) standout in his superb performance. When I say standout, I refer to the remarkable fidelity and clarity of Cooke's vocals on these vintage recordings from 1963. To hear the instrumental accompaniment is just as notable by it's exceptional separation and, just as important, it's detail. The soundstage is very broad with plenty of depth. And you can turn up the volume to really appreciate the extraordinary audio quality of this SACD.

A search of the internet will confirm that many critics consider "Night Beat" to be Sam Cooke's finest album.

Last edited:
I just finished listening to "Night Beat" for the first time in a couple of years..... and needless to say, what an uplifting experience!

This 3-channel (2 fronts & centre) SACD release is filled with spiritual, blues and a couple of jump blues numbers that lifts my inner soul. Sam Cooke was an unique talent that I consider the best vocalist to ever record (of course, I am bias with good reason).

On these recordings, Cooke's vocals (centre channel) standout in his superb performance. When I say standout, I refer to the remarkable fidelity and clarity of Cooke's vocals on these vintage recordings from 1963. To hear the instrumental accompaniment is just as notable by it's exceptional separation and, just as important, detail. The soundstage is very broad with plenty of depth. And you can turn up the volume to really appreciate the extraordinary audio quality of this SACD.

A search of the internet will confirm that many critics consider "Night Beat" to be Sam Cooke's finest album.

Thank you Clint & Rickko

Just ordered the title from Acoustic Sounds in Ebay

Regards,

Yes, that's exactly what they did with Brubeck, and all of the Living Stereos that they had the 3-track masters for. (A lot of the early Stax stuff was done this way too - sure would like to hear Sam & Dave or Booker T. in 3-track!)

I've only had it a couple of weeks - it's just out! Much better than the last ABCKO release, even in stereo - sonically beautiful, and they found the original jacket art (not essential, but sure a nice bonus). Sweet stuff! There's more in a thread on the Hoffman forums: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=199036

Responding to an old post, but just thought I’d make what might be an important correction:

The Living Stereo 3-track SACDs do not have anything ambient going on in the rears as do the Brubeck Time Out or the Miles Davis Kind of Blue recordings. They are, as near as I can tell, completely silent. So they aren’t exactly the same.

The Brubeck and Davis recordings were done by playing back the album in a studio and putting a pair of mics in the back of the studio to record what they used for the ambient rears, which are not mixed very loudly.

In response to the request of other 3-track recordings, I think the SACD of Kind of Blue sounds incredible. I don’t know to what degree the ambient recording in the rears affects the final result or not, but it certainly doesn’t detract from it IMO. I think this release is astounding.

And, of course, one could always turn the rears down completely if they just want only the original 3-track recording.

Back