Sansui Decoded Tape Out Disambiguation

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senorverde

Hi there folks.

I was recently informed that a fair majority of Sansui receivers were never engineered to output decoded material through their four channel tape out jacks. Now, if this was purely an oversight on Sansui's part or a clever way to keep users from creating decent decoded dubs onto quad reel/Q8 is subject to debate.

For the sake of archiving and setting facts straight, I was wondering exactly which models, be it from the original QR line, the QRX-x500 family, or the QRX-x001 family have this ability. From what I gathered only the TOTL units could do it. Also, out of the models that had an onboard CD-4 demodulator, which ones could pipe a copy of the demod'ed output though the tape out jacks as well?

Many thanks.

I think it was more so that you would still get a proper stereo out for external decoders or NR just in case you left the selector in 4ch mode and not really to prevent you from recording the decoder. Also most companies probably didn't want you to record their decoders because then you would really get to notice the inferiority of most decoders.

There are external circuits that will reduce Speaker Outputs to line level signals
(historically, these were used to add a higher power amplifier to low power
car stereos, circuit diagrams can be found w/Google).

Kirk Bayne

I simply don't understand. Every mid-level quad receiver I've own (Toshiba, Hitachi, Sony, Sanyo/Fisher) could pipe the decoded out through the tape loops. Personally, I think going through the headphone jacks or sponging off the speakers will only lead to signal degradation.

Answering my own question, it seems like the 8001, 9001, and possibly the 6500 had the option. Can anyone confirm?

I simply don't understand. Every mid-level quad receiver I've own (Toshiba, Hitachi, Sony, Sanyo/Fisher) could pipe the decoded out through the tape loops. Personally, I think going through the headphone jacks or sponging off the speakers will only lead to signal degradation.

Answering my own question, it seems like the 8001, 9001, and possibly the 6500 had the option. Can anyone confirm?

I have a QRX-9001, and I have had no trouble recording decoded records on to my TEAC 3340S; I get signals on all four level meters and the tapes, when played back, sound just like the decoded material (my test tape was Alan Parsons Project I, Robot.) I will say that my unit was refurbished by the good guys at QRXrestore.com and received their full treatment. Perhaps they made sure that the decoded signals went to the tape loops? That said, I just looked at the owner's manual and it is clearly implied that you can record a 4-channel source (including decoded content) to tape. (They do caution you about playing the your tapes of records and other media in a public place without first getting the permission of the copyright holders.)

Back