Sansui FR 3080 cart and stylus

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Lad Insane

Hey all - new to the forums and quad sound.

I just had the amazing opportunity to obtain this practically new in the box FR-3080. Brought over from Germany. It's a 50hz version with a 60hz capstan and is in perfect working order without a blemish!

My question is whether anyone can tell if this is the original stylus on the SV-40X cart? Most I've seen are ivory colored. I know they are essentially a re-branded AT, but trying to understand the age of this stylus and whether to keep the SV40X/SN40x combo intact.

Assuming the stylus has as much wear as this pristine turntable (which I know was packed in the box for at least 30 years) - it's probably OK?

Any thoughts on this are appreciated!

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.12.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.12.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.13.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.13.13 AM.png

Since there are no markings on it, I would say it is an aftermarket stylus. Even rebranded models (Sansui, Kenwood, JVC) will have an Audio Technica logo on the bottom of the stylus. Also, the rubber suspension is white, and I don't remember any ATs that don't have black or grey suspensions. Even if the stylus is not badly worn, the rubber suspension has likely softened over time. This one is an entry-level AT10 or a variant (AT11 or AT12 maybe), and the stylus and cantilever look pretty old (dirty and tarnished).

Before you consider a new stylus, think about an AT95E (about $50 brand new) or one of the newer variants with better stylii. My test table (I modify and recap phono preamps) is a Sansui SR-222, and I use an AT95E on it. It is a very nice cartridge for the money. If you can swing another $50, a Nagaoka MP110 would work very well on that tonearm. There is also an MP110H which comes installed on a universal headshell that will work on that tonearm (although you will have to verify that the stylus overhang is correct).

This is my AT95E. Note the logo on the front of the stylus.

P1020337QQ.JPG

Last edited:
This is super helpful. Thanks for the input. I will probably switch out the cart then. And find a new home for that SV-40x with someone who is much more a purist than I!

You are quite welcome. I would consider replacing the headshell as well. Those older perforated stamped metal ones are not the best. Find one similar to the one in my photo. It is more rigid than the original. If you decide on a Nagaoka MP110H, that headshell is excellent.

Since there are no markings on it, I would say it is an aftermarket stylus. Even rebranded models (Sansui, Kenwood, JVC) will have an Audio Technica logo on the bottom of the stylus. Also, the rubber suspension is white, and I don't remember any ATs that don't have black or grey suspensions. Even if the stylus is not badly worn, the rubber suspension has likely softened over time. This one is an entry-level AT10 or a variant (AT11 or AT12 maybe), and the stylus and cantilever look pretty old (dirty and tarnished).

Before you consider a new stylus, think about an AT95E (about $50 brand new) or one of the newer variants with better stylii. My test table (I modify and recap phono preamps) is a Sansui SR-222, and I use an AT95E on it. It is a very nice cartridge for the money. If you can swing another $50, a Nagaoka MP110 would work very well on that tonearm. There is also an MP110H which comes installed on a universal headshell that will work on that tonearm (although you will have to verify that the stylus overhang is correct).

This is my AT95E. Note the logo on the front of the stylus.

View attachment 44241

Hey - another thanks for the recommend. Went with the Nagaoka. Sounds great right out of the box with a set up. Look forward to breaking it in even more. Playing a Robert Ludwig mastered The Band now and in heaven!
8310A349-4764-401C-AFD6-C523B0238308.jpeg

Hey - another thanks for the recommend. Went with the Nagaoka. Sounds great right out of the box with a set up. Look forward to breaking it in even more. Playing a Robert Ludwig mastered The Band now and in heaven!

I am very glad to help. The MP-110 is a real sleeper, and the headshell is much better than most stock ones. Congrats!
I have an MP-110H on a Pioneer PL-41A turntable with a Denon tonearm, and it works great together.

P1030676.JPG

Last edited:
Back