Sansui Q-2000

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

👂 500 MPH EARS 👂
QQ Supporter
Randomly ran across this just now. Boy was I surprised I had no idea Sansui ever made QS quad consoles:

SANSUI Q2000.jpg

Seeing that it is described as a Quadphonic synthesizer that puts the tech at the earliest levels such as the QS-1. I can't find much info other than dead links on auction sites. I wonder if this was ever sold in the USA or only for the J market?

If Quad Linda runs across this maybe she has more info.

Randomly ran across this just now. Boy was I surprised I had no idea Sansui ever made QS quad consoles:

View attachment 44676

Seeing that it is described as a Quadphonic synthesizer that puts the tech at the earliest levels such as the QS-1. I can't find much info other than dead links on auction sites. I wonder if this was ever sold in the USA or only for the J market?

Those fronts are a little bigger than the rears, and the rears are at an odd position :whistle:

I think you will find them only in Japan and maybe Australia. It seems that there might have been a tax issue that made furniture cheaper than component stereos. They also provided an all in one solution to quad. Kinda like home theater in a box. I remember seeing a Panasonic quad set up in a thrift store in Toronto maybe 15 years ago and they wanted mucho dinero and it needed a belt and cartridge/headshell at minimum.

I think you will find them only in Japan and maybe Australia. It seems that there might have been a tax issue that made furniture cheaper than component stereos. They also provided an all in one solution to quad. Kinda like home theater in a box. I remember seeing a Panasonic quad set up in a thrift store in Toronto maybe 15 years ago and they wanted mucho dinero and it needed a belt and cartridge/headshell at minimum.
It never occurred to me that furniture would be less tax expensive than electronics but it makes sense. Even saki is watered down a bit so they will be billed at wine tax rates instead of liquor taxes.

In the 60's & 70's audio gear was snuck into the living room disguised as a fine piece of furniture. Macintosh speakers were the best American example I can think of. And I don't remember the sound but indeed it was good furniture. Others, not so much.

I didn't have look very far but was still surprised when I found the CD-4 equivalent:
VICTOR CD4.jpg

Like the Sansui I guess it's not a true console as the electronics & front speakers are three separate units. But both have that look of off the shelf recievers built into a wood enclosure.

Last edited:
Ah yes, cheap electronics in an overpriced wooden box, those were the days! Must have been the early seventies when my parents went out and bought, for some unfathomable reason, a hideous Fergusson 'radiogram' like this one:
radiogram.jpg

Mum was delighted with it until I said it looked like a coffin - I don't think she went near it after that!

View attachment 44676

It looks like the front speakers detach, that would mark the evolution of Stereo Hi-Fi consoles into that of separate components. Many of the old consoles sounded quite nice even though the electronics were usually rather cheap. The stereo effect was only good if you sat in directly in front of the unit. Many people would of placed it in a poor location such as in a corner so the effect was essentially Mono for most listeners. Quad came out while most people were still happy with Mono! With the early cheap component systems I recall that most people would place the speakers right beside each to save space.

Ah yes, cheap electronics in an overpriced wooden box, those were the days! Must have been the early seventies when my parents went out and bought, for some unfathomable reason, a hideous Fergusson 'radiogram' like this one:
View attachment 44701
Mum was delighted with it until I said it looked like a coffin - I don't think she went near it after that!

Then you played the Beatles "I don't want to spoil the party"? :)

Well that would certainly make for some good Halloween or April Fools pranks!!

My wife purchased a new Honda Oddesy van a few years back.
honda 2.jpg

All shiny black, just the right proportions & just the right amount of chrome trim she was quite happy with it until I referred to it as the Varner Family Hearse.

Very common in Australia
Seen all major brands in that style, but never a Sansui . Usually go very cheap but fully capable, proper CD-4 cartridges,ready to go.Got a cartridge off the JVC model , DF 22 ,a 4md 10x variant.

Back