Sansui QR-6500

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jshort74

Does anyone know anything about the QR-6500? Does it have a SQ and CD-4 decoder, or is it QS only? Could I get some opinions on this reciever?

It will more than likely have SQ and QS capability, I don't know about CD-4. I do not think it is a Variomatrix receiver. Can someone verify this?

The Quadfather

Sansui introduced the QR-6500 in 1972, or maybe late 1971. I'm almost certain CD-4 was not yet a commercial product, and SQ barely was. The QR-6500 did not include either. Its decoder modes were "Concert Hall 1", "Concert Hall 2" and "Surround/Decoder". I picked one up in early 1972 and still have the owner's manual. It doesn't even mention "QS". Probably Sansui assumed its matrix would become the standard and so did not need a name.

Sansui later offered an outboard CD-4 demodulator and an improved QS decoder, though not the full-blown Vario-Matrix it eventually developed. The QS logo did appear on the face of the QRX-6500, introduced a couple of years after the QR-6500. I believe it included a decoding mode intended for SQ sources but called "phase matrix" or something similar. I believe also that it did not include a built-in CD-4 demodulator but did have inputs to accomodate one. Someone who has or had a QRX-6500 can bring the facts to my comments.

In the QRX-?001 receivers, Sansui included its QS Vario-Matrix, SQ and CD-4. Then quad died for about twenty years.

Larry

Sansui introduced the QR-6500 in 1972, or maybe late 1971. I'm almost certain CD-4 was not yet a commercial product, and SQ barely was. The QR-6500 did not include either. Its decoder modes were "Concert Hall 1", "Concert Hall 2" and "Surround/Decoder". I picked one up in early 1972 and still have the owner's manual. It doesn't even mention "QS". Probably Sansui assumed its matrix would become the standard and so did not need a name.

Sansui later offered an outboard CD-4 demodulator and an improved QS decoder, though not the full-blown Vario-Matrix it eventually developed. The QS logo did appear on the face of the QRX-6500, introduced a couple of years after the QR-6500. I believe it included a decoding mode intended for SQ sources but called "phase matrix" or something similar. I believe also that it did not include a built-in CD-4 demodulator but did have inputs to accomodate one. Someone who has or had a QRX-6500 can bring the facts to my comments.

In the QRX-?001 receivers, Sansui included its QS Vario-Matrix, SQ and CD-4. Then quad died for about twenty years.

Larry
The Sansui QR-6500 UNLIKE the QRX-6500, has NO real CD-4 decoder with ability to select CD-4 build in, but offers option to simulate CD-4 format Quad reproduction with a specific 4 channel selection combination (according to Sansui in its users manual atleast as acqurate as CD-4, or even better ?) Neither has it thus as expected UNLIKE the QRX-6500, extra line in cinch inputs for dedicated CD-4 capable sources! I know course I own both models of the 6500 Quad, the QR-6500 and later date dedicated CD-4 decoding capable QRX-6500!
WP_20200129_20_06_47_Rich.jpg
WP_20200129_20_06_03_Rich.jpg
WP_20200129_20_05_07_Rich.jpg
WP_20200129_20_12_57_Rich.jpg

Last edited:
Back