Sansui qrx-5500 rear separation issue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nivkbecjer

Long time lurker first time poster here. So I’ve got so I’ve got a Sansui qrx-5500 which I’ve owned for a few years and only just set up a proper 4 channel speaker array in the living room. I haven’t gone through my records to see if I have any quadraphonic LPs that I bought by mistake but I don’t think I have any at this point to test it with the real thing.

The other day I came across a post on audiokarma saying that they played a QS encoded mp3 (didn’t site source) of Dewey Redmans “ear of the behearer” through their QS receiver and it the quad signal was perfectly decoded. I then started seeking out digitally encoded QS audio from various sources (including the Redman and other impulse records releases in Apple Music, which were only released in quad according to that huge text document) and none of them seem to get the rear separation right. I played them from a laptop through a 1/8” to stereo rca cable into one of the aux inputs. When I switch it to either regular matrix setting it sounds like a less bright version of the synthesized quad option. I even found an audio file that was supposed to cycle white noise through various channels and an accompanying YouTube video of the VU meters. My rear meters moved only a little when they were supposed to be off and surged when they were supposed to be on, but the front meters jumped almost the same amount.

I can provide links to sources I tried later if that helps, as I’m on my phone right now. Theres probably more information needed to diagnose this problem but as a newb I’m not sure what else is relevant. Please help, I’ve had this system forever and was so excited at the possibility of it working with digital sources. I didn’t even think that was a thing until I came across that post and since found many YouTube videos claiming to be QS encoded and the commenters appear to confirm. Anyhow, any help is appreciated!

Back