Sansui QRX-9001: QS Synthesizer Surround VS QS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuantumGuitar

Feel free to point me in the right direction if this has already been expanded upon, but I'm hoping someone can provide a little more detail about the difference between the Sansui QS Synthesizer Surround in the QRX-9001 and the regular QS decoder. I've often read that people use QS to upmix quad from stereo masters, and the Surround Synthesizer on the 9001 has been working fabulously for me and can only imagine its more effective with a purely stereo source than regular QS.

A follow up question (maybe I should post it elsewhere...), I've read that Wendy Carlos often used a tweaked Regular Matrix encoder for her 4-to-2 channel "fold-ins" during her mix down process.
"RM enchanted me in a different way, though. Here was an extended plan which followed closely the simple fold-down method I have been using since the mid 60's to derive two-tracks of Stereo for final release, when most of my master mixes have been designed and realized as four channel surround sound. It was during the production of Sonic Seasonings that Rachel and I really got excited about this elegant way to collapse the soundfield into normal stereo. I've reported before, and so has Rachel in the liner notes, that at times we had to double-check what we were listening to, as the two channel reduction could often mimic true surround sound, when played back on the same setup. Anyway, RM represented the underlying pattern that our method was a subset of. Kinda cool, and the fact that at times you can be fooled like this suggests that there is more to this field that anyone has yet explored. I think it's time we tried, don't you? "
"...There's a note to myself that with the addition of the all-pass filters (known as a 90-degree quadrature pair) or Psi Network (also called a J-Network), the RM can be converted exactly into a QS matrix."

I recently purchased a 4trk stereo 1/4" 3 3/4 ips copy of Sonic Seasonings and was planning to run it through the QS Synthesizer Surround as I usually would for stereo content, but after reading this it seems as if I might be better off with regular QS? Any thoughts?

Except for the earliest of early Sansui decoders (such as the QS-1) the synthesizer mode is accomplished the same way on QSD-1/2, QRX, QSD-1000, etc.The difference between basic QS mode & synth is here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ghts-and-impressions.26644/page-7#post-539897
post #124.

Which is better depends on what the original stereo recording is like & personal preference. I mean it sounds like all you have to do is turn a knob to check out both so why not experiment & post back what you think?

The Wendy Carlos website is an interesting place to poke around in but it seems there is as much opinion as there is fact.

Okay, so if I'm reading into this correctly... The QS Synthesizer Surround is an attempt at implementing a 270 degree wrap effect through (something at least similar to) opposite phase blending at -7.7 dB between the input channels into the QS decoder?

And it seems that when it comes to utilizing mismatched decoders its really up to personal preference, though I guess I'm hoping to get some improved results by being closer to it than not. I think I'll try QS to start and switch to good ole QS Synthesizer Surround if things don't seem to be too significant. From what I've read and experienced RM is supposedly very close to QS, so we'll first see how QS handles this variation on RM. Hopefully we'll get some discrete releases from Carlos someday...

I find that I prefer the QS decoder to the synthesizer on my QRX-9001 for deriving 4-channel from stereo records, most of the time. It does, however, depend on the recording. For example, when listening to the early Beatles Lps, it's best to switch the unit to stereo mode, and bypass any decoding or synthesizing at all. I have a hypothesis that records that were recorded on multi-track tape machines have phase differences which the decoder can interpret as matrix information, especially if the artists did a lot of over-dubbing. (Any experts care to weigh in on that?) Some records that decode in QS mode as if they were intentionally recorded that way are: Alan Parson's Project I, Robot, Steely Dan Aja, Fleetwood Mac Mystery to Me and Bare Trees, to name just a few. You have to experiment around and see which setting you prefer. Naturally, the original artists didn't intend for the music to be heard in surround, but it is interesting and enjoyable to hear the music in surround.

I agree with quadjoe except I leave the decoders going all the time. Records made from multi track machines and various takes are bound to have phase alterations/differences and a quad system will reveal interesting artifacts from this.

I have never really understood why a synthesis mode was included in various quad equipment because a true decoder will almost always do a superior job of "synthesizing" quad from stereo anyway. I know it was done to convince potential customers that they could play their stereo records through that equipment and hear quad but they could just as well have advertised that their stereo records would be turned into quad with the actual QS or SQ decoders, too.

I prefer my SQ decoder through which to play regular two channel records or other sources. Sometimes it's amazing. Listen to The Eurythmics' "I Love You Like a Ball and Chain" sometime.

Doug

I had a Sansui QRX-6500 which, at the time, had their best QS decoder. It was one of the first with Vario-Matrix. I found that the only difference between the QS decode, and QS systhesizer modes, in the surround setting, was slightly higher output in the synthesizer mode to the rear speakers. I liked that receiver a lot; apparently, so did the a-hole who decided he needed it more than I did.

Back