Sansui QRX series receivers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

ejnwow

Guys,

I'm a long-time vinyl-phile (2500+ vinyl LPs and 12" singles) with a recent interest in quadraphonic sound. I've been listening for years to quad LPs, just to hear the different mixes in stereo. I was old enough to appreciate quad when in came into vogue in the early to mid-'70s, but young enough to not be able to afford any of the hardware. I just bought a Sansui QRX-6001 receiver from an auction on eBay. I paid $105.00 for a receiver that is in excellent condition all the way around. I'm putting it in my office/vinyl room at home, where it will be driving four DCM Time Window 1A loudspeakers. I know this receiver doesn't have all that much power, but I still thought it might be a good one to start with since I don't have any other quad hardware at this time. What do you think of this particular receiver or the QRX series in general? I chose it because it can allegedly do a good job of decoding all of the various quad formats, along with synthesize quad from stereo sources. Comments? What phono cartridge(s) might be a good one to try? I heard that someone was as of late manufacturing a quad cartridge. Any experience with this. I have been reading your conversations and banter for a couple of weeks and you guys seem to be the hippest to what to do with quad gear, so that's why I'm inquiring.

Best,

Eric
ejnwow

Yeah Baby, We're really hip to this stuff! Hee hee.

The QRX 6001 is a variomatrix receiver, which means it will do a good job decoding QS records. It will also decode SQ, but not as well. It is also good at synthesizing stereo. I believe that unit also has a CD-4 demodulator for quadradiscs. You can use an Audio Technica AT331LP for CD-4, as well as the older Trackmaster 8, also by Audio Technica. The AT331LP is still in manufacture. The CD-4 system yields the best separation, but it can be a pain to get set up right. You will need a CD-4 compatible turntable. Most turntables of the quad era are, and you can tell by the thick audio signal lines. They're almost as big as video cables. However,these are low capacitance cables and are not the same as video cables. I use a Marantz 6300 turntable. SQ and QS records do not require a special cartridge, but it won't hurt them to be played by one. Note that the AT331LP is not sold as a quad compatible cart. It does, however, have the line contact or "shibata" type stylus to play quadradiscs. Ignore the specs, they don't tell the story. While the Variomatrix decoder is the best decoder for QS, the Tate is preferred for SQ. Tate decoders can only be had as an outboard component, and they are rather scarce. Feel free to ask more questions if you like, these webpages have many very knowledgable people, and someone will be able to answer your question. Happy quadding!

The Quadfather

Dear Quadfather,

Thanks much for the response. Your input is helpful and very much appreciated. I will purchase the AT331LP cartridge and go from there. Yes, the Sansui QRX-6001 receiver has a CD-4 demodulator. I'll report back as soon as I set this baby up.

Best,

Eric
ejnwow

I actually use the Trackmaster 8 which is no longer available. It is identical to the AT331LP, which can be had from J&R Music world for under $50.00 . It is not a "high end" cart, (not a bad one either) but that is really not a concern with CD-4. You will not get a "golden eared" sound from CD-4, but it can play without distortion. (This has been a constant problem with CD-4 in the past) It is possible to achieve a level of performance so that you can't tell it is CD-4 when you're not in the room with the speakers. Of course, separation has always been good with CD-4, which makes it worth the effort. It is worth your while to get a cartridge alignment jig if your turntable is adjustable. I can play all my undamaged CD-4 records, and they all play well. I have a couple that were damaged in an earlier life. Of one of them, I have another copy that plays well. Anyway, I love CD-4, and when I'm not listening to DVD Audio or DTS discs, I'm usually listening to CD-4. Every now and then, I give the ol' Tate a workout.

The Quadfather

Dude,

The big bitch with the shibata stylis is the noise. If you have played any vinal under a lesser stylus, onece played under a properly aligned shibata the groves have been distorted to the point Where they sound like @#%$. I own no quad albums; but I have raked a shibata through all my albums since 1982. Since the surface area is ruffly 50/100 more than the highest quality line contact stylus, little is lost in the use of a sibata providing it has been used throughout the life of the album. I own over 50 Mobile Fidelity sound lab's albums. I have about 100 more of other lables on vergin LP's.
There are lots of people out there that do not understad the implications of wear, dirt, maintenance, and bull @#%$ you get from other people hat don't know what they are talking about on the web.

I have run accrost your page in the last few days looking to corner the market on the ATN-14 and ATN-15. stili for my collection. I had broke down and baught a Sure V15VxMR. Sounds good but is sucking the life out of my albums. I went and baught a micro scope and found some good stili.

I have seen that on a number of you pages. It is not the fact that people infereaaaror equepment, They used them before. Lets not lie to them. If you messed it up. it will alwasse be messed up.

Doogie

It is my understanding that a line contact type stylus is a variant of the Shibata, and was developed to improve on the Shibata for CD-4 playback. This they have acheived, and it will do the job. It was only after that market disappeared that they marketed it for stereo. I am by no means a "golden eared audiophile". I am an average Joe sixpack that just happens to have four ears. I use my Trackmaster 8 to play CD-4 as well as stereo records. The records do not wear out, and I expect a little noise with analog records. The Trackmaster does as good a job of playing quadradiscs as any cartridge I have heard. This is not to say I have heard them all. However, I stand by my words.

The Quadfather

Hey Quadradial:
Thank you! You're right! I'm a wild eyed, beer swillin, Confederate flag wavin', card playin' four eared music lovin' anti P.C., loose cannon, Joe sixpack, and the old lady don't think I'm half bad either!

The Quadfather

Does all the above mean that quaddies ain't politically correct???

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O.K. here we go! ... What 'dya mean by anti p.c.- Mac attack! Only Kiddin' I never got to get into using a Mac- I'd like to but I'm so stocked up in p.c. that it would be to much trouble to switch now!- Northerner!:rollin:

I mean "not politically correct". By the way, I prefer a P.C. to a Mac, nothing against the Mac, I just prefer a machine that will run most of the availlable software.

The Quadfather

OH! Sorry my mistake , thought you meant pc/IBM/clone/?
Speaking of "Politicaly Incorrect"- "with Bill Mahre"- I went to school with him, he went to Pascack Hills High School Montvale , NJ.

The Quadfather loves New Jersey people! He's got a giant staue of "Mad" Anthony Wayne on his front porch. I've seen it! heheheheheh

Who's Anthony Wayne? I do have a small statue of Br'er Rabbit on my porch. But he's not from Jersey. No animosity toward Yanks here, though it does require overlooking that thing that nasty Sherman did to our state. I am a Civil War buff (we call it the war of northern agression) and I do enjoy re-enactments at various sites in Georgia, including Andersonville prison. (Elmira was just as bad) I hope someday to get up north and see the reenactments a Gettysburg, which is the grandaddy of them all. They are lots of fun. The cannon fire will clean out your ears for sure. Another thing I like to do is ride steam trains. The opportunity for that has dried up in the south since Northfolk Southern disallowed steam excursions on their rails. (boo) I know this ain't quad, so I guess I'll shut up now.

The Quadfather

He was a general that fought against the British. I came from Wayne, NJ...so that's all I know. Just thought I'd through some gas on the fire!

Back