SANSUI QS-800A INFO NEEDED

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghonk

Hi all,have been a member for over 5 years,and i think this is my first post.
I have renewed interest is Quad and need some help.

Can anyone confirm that the Sansui QS-800(A version) uses a hybrid decoder.
And if yes would it be the same decoder used in the QRX-5500A/7500A receiver.

Also,from info online it looks like connecting a SACD player to the 5500/7500 would be done through a tape loop.
Would connecting a SACD to the 800A + receiver be a problem,since it's 2 separate amps.

Greg

Still need conformation that the 800A uses the HYBRID decoder.
And if connecting a SACD player would be an issue since i would be using 2 amps.

I ASSUME the 800 NON A would have a first generation decoder,can someone confirm this.

Hi all,have been a member for over 5 years,and i think this is my first post.
I have renewed interest is Quad and need some help.

Can anyone confirm that the Sansui QS-800(A version) uses a hybrid decoder.
And if yes would it be the same decoder used in the QRX-5500A/7500A receiver.

Also,from info online it looks like connecting a SACD player to the 5500/7500 would be done through a tape loop.
Would connecting a SACD to the 800A + receiver be a problem,since it's 2 separate amps.

Greg
Greg
If you want get into Matrix Quad (QS and SQ)
You will do no better than getting
A Surround Master Involve (QS) and SQ vinyl unit
Then plug your SACD player into the Surround Master
Then 4 channel out of the Surround master into 4 Channel discrete of the Sansui 800
Or 4 channel tape input as long as it has volume control
You also can play Stereo into Surround

Ron

Hi Ron,thanks for your reply.
I did see the Evolve unit listed online a couple days ago,but the price is more then i can afford.

I need to do this low cost,so my first choice of a QRX-8001/9001 is NOT going to happen.
Next best option for ME would be a QRX-5500A/7500A,although only having a hybrid decoder i would settle for one of those,but again finding a nice one within my budget is unlikely.

This is why i have interest in a QS-800A,ASSUMING that it also uses a hybrid decoder and the results would be the same as a 5500A/7500A when paired with my current Kenwood Model Eleven II.

I would MAINLY be using it to synthesize stereo material,but i would also like the option of connecting a SACD or similar format player,and down mixing the output to 4.0

I already have a decent 5.1 HT setup,but was looking to add Quad to my vintage system,again at low cost.

Okay where's Quad Bob.:):ugham:
I though this would be an easy question,i guess not.

Need to know if the Sansui QS-800(A version) has the hybrid decoder.
I assume the non A version has a first Gen. decoder,can anyone confirm that.

I believe both models have the same decoder, but neither have the QS decoder the QRX-8k/9k, QSD-1, 2 or 1000 uses. They are basically the same units inside. They do have better QS decoders than the QS-1, though. The main differences are the QS800 is a bit more versatile in that it has more tape monitor loops and ins/outs for a outboard noise reduction circuit (pretty useless these days) and has pre/main rear amp ins/outs. The QS800 has the two AUX inputs on the Function dial rather than buttons.

You could use the 800A with a SACD player for the rear channels with another amp for the front, but for 5.1 SACDs you will still need some amplification for the center and LFE channels and the 800's only have 2. Remember they are designed to be add-on amps to provide quad capabilities to a 2 channel stereo set-up. In regards to your question about what input to use, you could go into either AUX input or the 4 Channel Tape Monitor. Remember that you will have to come out of your main amp's tape monitor or pre-out and then out of the 800A's Front Output and back into your main amp to power the front left and right channels, but that will allow you to control both front and rear channels with the volume control on the QS800A. (Once you have set the volume on your main amp.)

As far as contacting Quad Bob for advice, good luck with that. However, if you are looking for a way to ship the unit somewhere you will never see it again, Bob is your man.

I was just kidding about Quad Bob,i know about his record,hopefully he has a criminal one by now.

If i was able to get an 800A my plan was to downmix the output from a SACD/DVDA player to 4.0,and then input that into the 800.And also use SACD's that have the original 4.0 quad mixes already on them.

The problem i'm having is most of the material i will be using will be stereo,so i want a unit with a hybrid decoder,i realize it isn't as good as a second generation,but that would be the best i could do with my budget.

If i was going to use strictly downmixed to 4.0 or quad mixes ,800 vs 800A wouldn't make a difference since the player would be doing the decoding,but there are limited titles that interest me,so i would be using almost all stereo material.

The reason i thought the 800A might have the hybrid decoder in the first place is i THINK the 5500A/7500A models have it,vs the non A models which i believe were first generation.

So it seems like the same would be true with the 800A,but this is only a guess and i would need to know for sure before trying to purchase one.

Okay i MIGHT have figured this out,if anyone else cares :),after searching ENDLESSLY online for information on the QS-800(A version).

ACCORDING to Quad Bob,the QRX-5500A/7500A receivers using the hybrid decoders replaced the 2047 pcb (used in the non A version) with a 2084 pcb.

I downloaded the manual for the 5500A/7500A from HiFi Engine,it does list the F-2084 QS Vario Matrix Circuit Board.

I then downloaded the manual for the QS-800A,although PART of the manual has horrible detail,and some of the info is not labeled,i do see SOMETHING listed as (F-2047).
Which makes me think that the QS-800A does not use the hybrid decoder.

The QS-800A Manual DOES STATE (*DESIGN SPECIFICATION SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE OF IMPROVEMENTS)
But since the manual is for the A version,if seems like at least some if not all of the 800A's don't have the hybrid decoder.

"NOTE"
I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT ELECTRONICS.
And i'm just going by what i THINK i see in the manuals,so you definitely don't want to take this as fact.:)

Oh well,unless i find out later that the A version does in fact have the hybrid it looks like it's no Quad for me.:mad:

If your player can do the downmixing to quad internally, then the QS800 or 800A would still be a fine choice for what you are wanting to do. The QS decoder in the 800's, while not as good as the QSD-1,2 or 1000, is still a fine decoder, plus you get all the other quad synthesizers it offers.

Here is how I would hook it up: Rear speakers connected to the Sansui. I would make two connections to the Sansui. One: Coming out of the Rear L/R channel outputs of your SACD player to the Rear L/R of AUX 1 or Aux 2 of the Sansui. This will provide amplification and tone control of your rear channels when playing a quad SACD.

The second: Connect from your front channel stereo amp, coming out of Tape Monitor Out, using two Y-splitters (one for left and one for right) at the Sansui to the 2-CH input of the Sansui and the front channels of the AUX input you chose above. Come out of the Sansui's Front Output and back into your main amp's Tape monitor IN. (I am assuming you have the front channels of the SACD player in a stereo input of your main amp.)

You will need to engage the Tape Monitor and set the volume on your main amp to match the output of the Sansui - usually about half way up or so, depending on the power of your main amp.

When playing a quad SACD, choose the SACD's input on your main amp (Tape Monitor still engaged) and set the Sansui to the AUX position you chose and Function Knob to Discrete and control the rear channels' tone on the Sansui and your front channels' tone on your main amp. You will be able to control front/back balance on the Sansui as well as rear L/R balance. (Front L/R balance will still be preformed on your main amp.)

When playing a QS quad LP or any stereo source (including a stereo SACD), set the Sansui to the QS Surround (for QS decoding) or any of the other surround modes you like. This will allow the Sansui decoder or synthesizers to do their thing. If you wanted to play only in stereo, set the Sansui to 2 Channel on the Function knob. You probably won't do that very often because once you have quad, I think you will find you will prefer listening to everything in some quad/surround mode.

Note: Before disengaging the main amp's Tape Monitor remember to turn down your main amp first!

The 800s are great amps with smooth sound and give you lots of flexibility to connect other components as needed. I love my QS-800.

I use a PC - dell laptop / docking bay with a Pre/amp / Daw . I mix the 5.1 or 7.1 source into 4 channels with this setup.
You can find the older Advark 10 channel PCI pre amps cheap too. Only Draw back is you need xp sp1 Windows
I also used Presonus pre-amps and you can download the a free Daw software package from Presonus too.
I dub the analog mix to Reels or my 4 channel cassette. Sound great

Does anyone know if the QS-800 and the QS-800A use the same boards? (See post #8) I always thought they did, but a review on Hi-Fi Engine claims the A model uses the same QS board as the X001 models. ( I know this is an old thread but the question came up when talking to some Quadies.)

Back