Sansui QS-D1000 Decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the Proton SD-1000 is one slick looking box, quite clean & detailed sounding considering it's the most complex analog decoder I've ever seen. Not only are the PCB's multi-layer but there are two of them mounted one above the other with a total of 20+ trim pots to adjust! Wow.

This is an excellent decoder for movies or CD's encoded with the original Dolby matrix surround. I imagine it far exceeded quality of other official Dolby decoders of the day. Even tho it was promoted as being good for music that's where the big let down is. Visualize a Dolby matrix decoder where a little bit of left front is mixed into left back and a little bit of right front is mixed into right back. It's easy to get a singular front speaker to isolate but I've done extensive phase/amplitude testing & there's no way to get just a left back or right back output. I think I said in my previous post that using a center back ch makes a significant improvement. It's not just about adding a center back ch it's also about what is revealed in the rear L/R chs when you do this. I would strongly recommend using the 6 ch configuration for music.

As comparing to QSD-1000 or SMv2 I think this sums it up: the Proton & Sansui units are in a closet & the Surround Master lives on making me happy every day.

I can't say that's exactly what I've heard. My Tate always seemed a little bright & the various QS decoders I've had a little dark. DPL II which is also DSP based sounds the "darkest" & least detailed of all so I can't make generalizations about analog vs digital surround sound processing.

What you sayin?
Ken why not just get a nice shiny new SM v2? I hear no glare from it & it's easily the most revealing of detail I've heard in decoders. Maybe because it's hybrid analog/digital it seems to make the best of both worlds. And blue lights bright enough to read by!
I can't say anything about the Fosgate Tate unit, as I've never heard one but the Audionics unit does not change the sound in any noticeable way! The Photolum decoder doesn't alter the sound in any noticeable way either. The Involve unit does, even surround rips done by others using the Surround Master (that I have), have that same sort of sound to them. I don't know about the SMv2, but don't see how it would sound much different. That is not to say that they sound bad, just a bit different then a straight pass through. Overall though the SM sound is better than most vintage decoders as they all have their own sonic flavor, sometimes a bit muddy. As for getting a SMv2, maybe someday but I already have so many decoders already, and the SMv2 has no surround mode, I've never liked stereo played via straight QS, although SQ is an excellent alternative to QS hall mode.
Now the possibility of a Shadow Vector unit really peaks my interest!

Hi. All

There is another...…. SANSUI QS-D1000 QS Decoder...…….. on...... ( Jauce Auction site ).......just passing it on to any one how is interested.
It is in working condition and looks pretty good as well..
BBQ...

( https://www.jauce.com/auction/h471965948 )
i-img640x480-1588326212xxm95c464258.jpg

i-img640x480-15883262123vqjdv464258.jpg

You keep finding them, don't ya! IIRC Sansui made a matching tuner & power amp for the QSD-1k. I fantasize historically about living in Tokyo mid 80's. Wake up on a Saturday morn, walk a bit & take subway to Akihabara. Dig around for the latest Laserdisc American blockbuster like Terminator or BttF. Maybe buy the new LD feat Chisato Moritaka. Return home to play on Pioneer LD player, decoded by Sansui QSD-1000, matching power amps & (perhaps) Yamaha speakers. Or JBL's. Since they are from America they are, you know, the coolest.
Edit: watch on 27" Sony Trintitron.

Current bit translates to about $25 USD but still 5 days to go, I wonder what it"ll go for? Has anyone here ever bought off the Jauce Auction site? I would have to caution people that due to Covid 19 , International shipments have been severely disrupted. At the start of the pandemic it seemed that International shipments were coming faster and faster, I bought a number of Japanese LP's, several different orders and all arrived quickly, but my last one was returned to the seller and can't be reshipped right now!

I have had good luck buying from Yahoo Auctions (the actual auction website) and shipping to Canada has been almost half the usual time but some shipping methods are not available from Japan Post such as Seamail and SAL ( Sea, Air, Land) shipping. The drawback is that shipping costs have drastically increased over the last few months making bargains less appealing to me. Shipping to US or other places may be different. Also for those in Canada, registered packages are no longer treated as such. I just had my postie leave a package without getting a signature AND it was dropped at my apartment door and LUCKILY was still there 3 days later when I arrived home. YMMV.

I have not seen matching equipment to the QS-D1000 but have seen the matching power amps(BA-2000) and "channel divider" (CA-2000)(that I assume is an outboard crossover for bi-ampng speakers) for the QSD-1 with rack mount ears. I seem to remember 2 channel gear in the same series such as a stereo pre-amp. I suspect that if you wanted 4 channel in this series that you had to purchase twice the gear in stereo and hook up the QSD-1 that way. This gear, like all higher end Sansui of that era, are extremely expensive even when bought as is or as junk. I will be forced by my budget to being content owning both a QSD-1 and a QS-D1000.;)

Back