Sansui QS-D1000 Decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys. Here is the serial number from my QS D1000. 216010315
It appears to be from a later run than both of yours.
I believe I bought it direct from Japan from a member here when I first joined than had quadbob remove the blend resistors and recap it and pair it with a voltage transformer. It has not been plugged in for a few years....

Ok guys. Here is the serial number from my QS D1000. 216010315
It appears to be from a later run than both of yours.
I believe I bought it direct from Japan from a member here when I first joined than had quadbob remove the blend resistors and recap it and pair it with a voltage transformer. It has not been plugged in for a few years....
That is pretty cool!

Likewise I haven't used mine for a few years either. When I purchased my Anthem AVM 30 pre/pro it had only one set of six ch analog inputs. That meant I had to choose between decoders & switch out as I wanted. In practice my DVD and then Blu-Rei players took up those inputs for DVD-A, SACD, etc listening. About a year ago I got a Zektor switch box and currently have Proton SD-1000 plugged into it along with my Oppo 105 analog outputs and TT stereo .

Hey Bill! please post & let us know how you evaluate the QS-D1000 compared to mother Sansui decoders in your collection.

The articles by Michael Gerzon were actually published from from July 1977 onwards so you may have them! I tried to attach the PDFs but they are too large.
I have everything from May 1975 onwards, well until WW turned into little more than an advertising journal when I gave up on it - I even wrote some articles on Switched Mode PSUS for Wireless World in the 90s! Sadly all my pre-75 magazines inc. ETI, Elektor, Practical Electronics etc were thrown out by my parents when clearing their garage as they 'assumed' I didn't want them.

I have everything from May 1975 onwards, well until WW turned into little more than an advertising journal when I gave up on it - I even wrote some articles on Switched Mode PSUS for Wireless World in the 90s! Sadly all my pre-75 magazines inc. ETI, Elektor, Practical Electronics etc were thrown out by my parents when clearing their garage as they 'assumed' I didn't want them.

I can't blame my parents, I chose to throw most of my stuff out when I moved into my first house, wish I'd kept some of it now!
I built lots of projects from PE, PW, WW and Elektor - with varying degrees of success (most of those mags weren't good at proof reading!).
My greatest triumph was probably WW's Teletext Decoder (which amazed everyone who saw it) and my greatest failure was certainly Elektor's Morse Decoder (to show off air morse code as scrolling text on 7 segment displays) - never did get that thing to work, I think it was fundamentally flawed (and what a strange magazine Elektor was!).

Last edited:
...until WW turned into little more than an advertising journal when I gave up on it .

Sad it went downhill eventually, but at least it held out longer than most. The wave of nostalgia has spurred me to rummage through my archives and I've manged to find an old photo of my attempt at their Teletext Decoder :

homemade Teletext Decoder.jpg

and an example of the hi-resolution (!) graphics it was capable of on the B/W set in my bedroom:

Misc negatives_121.jpg

That is pretty cool!

Likewise I haven't used mine for a few years either. When I purchased my Anthem AVM 30 pre/pro it had only one set of six ch analog inputs. That meant I had to choose between decoders & switch out as I wanted. In practice my DVD and then Blu-Rei players took up those inputs for DVD-A, SACD, etc listening. About a year ago I got a Zektor switch box and currently have Proton SD-1000 plugged into it along with my Oppo 105 analog outputs and TT stereo .

Hey Bill! please post & let us know how you evaluate the QS-D1000 compared to mother Sansui decoders in your collection.

Hi. Sonik Wiz

When I first got the D-1000 I connected the unit to my system and done a quick test to see if it would work and of course it did and played numeris QS LP`s and was very pleased with the results.

I have reconnected the unit back into my system to do a more intense test, it definitely out performs my QRX-80001 which has been totally recapped and re-calibrated to spec and the holy grail applied.
I have been playing project3 QS LP`s some have a very good discreet performance which I have the Quad Q4 reel to reel off to compare with, and the D-1000 was not as discreet as the Q4 tape as it should be because of matrix 4:2:4 system but done a very good job.

There would be some that would say have you compared the D-1000 with the Surround Master and I would say yes I have and that was a hard test to go through not a true A-B test I have to disconnect units and reconnect as I have said before I do not have the room to have every thing connected.

I done the same test with the project3 QS LP`s but instead with out the Quad reel to reels it was just between the SM & the D-1000 and it was neck to neck and the only thing the SM had a slightly more mid to high frequency than the D-1000, this is my perception only not a true A-B test.
BBQ...

Congrats bigbill. I got my QS-D1000 through a Japanese auction site too, about 3 and 1/2 years ago, and for about $473 USD. They turn up far more frequently on those sites than on American sites, and at overall lower prices. I happened to be after a set of Pioneer wireless surround sound headphones - and bam! found a QS-D1000 at the same time.

I don't have mine unpacked, and don't have the serial number noted, but now I'm curious about it! The one thing I do remember about mine vs. a QSD-1, is that the volume output is quieter that the QSD-1 even when maxed out. For the heck of it at the time, I even compared the output level against my Fosgate Tate and Lafayette SQ-W, and they all had a louder maximum volume output than the QS-D1000.

Soniqwiz (Bill),

If you don't mind me asking .....

What unit is that black one directly below your EV decoder ?.......it has both the SQ and QS emblems.

That is the ancient remnants of a 2 band Vario-Matrix project I built. The enclosure was scavenged from a Pioneer spring reverb unit. The reverb display window was replaced by a Kodalith film with the text as you see. It was back lit & shined a pretty blue when turned on. The other part of the frant panel was all laid out individually with Letraset rub on type. Age & Bassment humidity has not been kind to it & I know how craptatstic it looks in the picture. Remember this was built at a time when DIY meant Bud aluminum mini-boxes & Dymo label tape.

PHOTOLUME V2.jpg

Inside are two Photolume QS boards with a Xover at 200Hz. Interestingly in the Kansas City area at that time Sansui was almost non-existant. I actually had to build this thing to experience QS decoding. Love at first listen!

There was a pair each of 2 ch & 4 ch inputs. They we're not switch slectible but had a mixer like input with pots to control the level. There we're two sets of output balance controls: the 3 knobs bottom row left was for the QS decoded output. The next 3 knobs to the right adjusted discrete input sources. Instead of just a stereo sybthesis switch the phase blend control varied the out of phase blending of the 2 ch input. I could switch it to straight stereo or full/partial decode the latter being the close equivalent t of Sansui's Hall mode.

I used this unit for at least 5>7 years everyday. But all my home projects usually end up being cannibalized to help build whatever comes next.

Per bigbillquad:
When I first got the D-1000 I connected the unit to my system and done a quick test to see if it would work and of course it did and played numeris QS LP`s and was very pleased with the results.

It is always good to know you have spent your money wisely. I bet you will enjoy that everyday.

I have reconnected the unit back into my system to do a more intense test, it definitely out performs my QRX-80001 which has been totally recapped and re-calibrated to spec and the holy grail applied.

I have never listened to a Sansui QS receiver but I am familiar with evolution of the circuitry within. Is the 80001 usually left in the system for playback? And have you compared stereo synthesis yet? Every Sansui QS schematic I've seen used a different value for the out of phase blend resistor. I imagine there would be some noticeable differences between a QRX, QSD-1 etc in that mode.

I have been playing project3 QS LP`s some have a very good discreet performance which I have the Quad Q4 reel to reel off to compare with, and the D-1000 was not as discreet as the Q4 tape as it should be because of matrix 4:2:4 system but done a very good job.

Late 70's I had a Sony R2R, a QSE-5B encoder & a QSD-1. Using some Moody Blues 4 ch tapes it was easy to level match & with one button push I could compare encoded with discrete. Each time I switched back & forth I could hear the change. But after a few seconds it seemed my ears/brain accommodated & the difference seemed not so much.

I done the same test with the project3 QS LP`s but instead with out the Quad reel to reels it was just between the SM & the D-1000 and it was neck to neck and the only thing the SM had a slightly more mid to high frequency than the D-1000, this is my perception only not a true A-B test.

Very interesting observation. In regard to the SM having a bit more mid & treble might it be the Sansui has a little less? In comparing my Tate 101B to QS-D1000 the former always sounds a little bright borderline strident & the Sansui always seems a bit dark or slightly lacking in high end detail. Between the two I would prefer the Sansui as you can always tweak the treble at the preamp.

That is the ancient remnants of a 2 band Vario-Matrix project I built. The enclosure was scavenged from a Pioneer spring reverb unit. The reverb display window was replaced by a Kodalith film with the text as you see. It was back lit & shined a pretty blue when turned on. The other part of the frant panel was all laid out individually with Letraset rub on type. Age & Bassment humidity has not been kind to it & I know how craptatstic it looks in the picture. Remember this was built at a time when DIY meant Bud aluminum mini-boxes & Dymo label tape.

View attachment 37753

Inside are two Photolume QS boards with a Xover at 200Hz. Interestingly in the Kansas City area at that time Sansui was almost non-existant. I actually had to build this thing to experience QS decoding. Love at first listen!

There was a pair each of 2 ch & 4 ch inputs. They we're not switch slectible but had a mixer like input with pots to control the level. There we're two sets of output balance controls: the 3 knobs bottom row left was for the QS decoded output. The next 3 knobs to the right adjusted discrete input sources. Instead of just a stereo sybthesis switch the phase blend control varied the out of phase blending of the 2 ch input. I could switch it to straight stereo or full/partial decode the latter being the close equivalent t of Sansui's Hall mode.

I used this unit for at least 5>7 years everyday. But all my home projects usually end up being cannibalized to help build whatever comes next.

Looks just fine to me SoniqWiz .

As of course ....so does the rest of your treasure chest of a closet .

:)

Hi. Soundfield

I am not quite sure about the time it came out I think about the early 82 to 84 if you look at the second photo at the bottom it has 1989 I think this was its last year in production.

Hi. Sonik Wiz

Its hard to make comment on a item you need to have the 2 item set up to do a A-B test listen, and you have had these units to pass comment on I now the D1000 is technically better and thanks for your comments...

Hi. fizzywiggs

Yes it's simple and elegant and looks modern even for todays looks as I have said I am a Sansui fanatic and I am over the moon in requiring it but I will still be buying the SM v2.

:dance:dance:dance:dance
Hey Bill
I know there is a thread elsewhere for Quad E Bay watch but I'm posting this here. Might make you feel even better about your purchase:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SA...=item26139fba72:g:rEUAAOSwBPxcYbi6:rk:13:pf:0

Hey Bill
I know there is a thread elsewhere for Quad E Bay watch but I'm posting this here. Might make you feel even better about your purchase:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SA...=item26139fba72:g:rEUAAOSwBPxcYbi6:rk:13:pf:0

Hi. Sonik Wiz

Yes like the one I came across a year & 1/2 ago on eBay that was $1600.00 but it did sell, this one doesn't say if it goes or not and the photo is crap I think the photo was cropped because there could be cosmetic damage BUT it is rare and Sansui top QS unit, I am blest that I got my one in EX. MINT condition at a down to earth price..

Bill.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I'm also one of those who acquired a QS-D1000 from Dave Vacccaro back in '86 (Serial # 216010054 - which I think means it was unit # 54 produced in Jan of '86). Worked-over (holy grail, etc) a couple years ago by Jim Showker (RIP) - still got it hooked-up alongside my SM-V2. I like it (and also like my SM-V2), and all things matrix.

John R

That is pretty cool!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Sonic Wiz:

I also have a Proton SD-1000 but have very little experience with it yet. How would you describe its virtues vs. the QS-D-1000 and vs. the SM-V2?

Thanks, John R

Per bigbillquad:

Very interesting observation. In regard to the SM having a bit more mid & treble might it be the Sansui has a little less? In comparing my Tate 101B to QS-D1000 the former always sounds a little bright borderline strident & the Sansui always seems a bit dark or slightly lacking in high end detail. Between the two I would prefer the Sansui as you can always tweak the treble at the preamp.
That is what I also hear from the Involve evaluation module, an upper midrange glare. I notice a similar sound from other DSP based processors as well, it might be due to the (extra) A/D and D/A conversions required. Yes, the QSD-1 sounds a bit darker, less clear, the S&IC always sounded neutral to me. I suspect that if you did a frequency response sweep of all three there would be little difference between them, so maybe something else is going on? That being said I would say that the Involve is better for decoding QS. I placed the Involve module inside my Sony QSD-2010, with the Involve output connected to the discrete input, as such I could compare the sound to the built in RM decoder. That slight harshness seams to be removed (or masked) by the internal output circuitry of the Sony decoder.
Recently I swapped the Involve module for the Involve SQ module, and readjusted the Sony SQ as well. While the two sound more similar than I would of expected the Involve definitely does a better job. It occurred to me that I could install both modules in the Sony by making use of the four channel tape input as well as the discrete input, back to the workbench!

That is what I also hear from the Involve evaluation module, an upper midrange glare. I notice a similar sound from other DSP based processors as well, it might be due to the (extra) A/D and D/A conversions required.

I can't say that's exactly what I've heard. My Tate always seemed a little bright & the various QS decoders I've had a little dark. DPL II which is also DSP based sounds the "darkest" & least detailed of all so I can't make generalizations about analog vs digital surround sound processing.

Recently I swapped the Involve module for the Involve SQ module, and readjusted the Sony SQ as well. While the two sound more similar than I would of expected the Involve definitely does a better job. It occurred to me that I could install both modules in the Sony by making use of the four channel tape input as well as the discrete input, back to the workbench!
What you sayin?
Ken why not just get a nice shiny new SM v2? I hear no glare from it & it's easily the most revealing of detail I've heard in decoders. Maybe because it's hybrid analog/digital it seems to make the best of both worlds. And blue lights bright enough to read by!

Back