Sansui QSD-2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"From a Quadraphile's estate"

Looks like we lost another one............................. :(

Can someone here tell me a little more about this unit. Does it work as a stand alone unit. By this I mean only decodes. I need an SQ and QS decoder and it seems to be just what the doctor ordered. Thanks.

Can someone here tell me a little more about this unit. Does it work as a stand alone unit. By this I mean only decodes. I need an SQ and QS decoder and it seems to be just what the doctor ordered. Thanks.

this is QS only, same decoder as in 7001 and 9001 receiver. Stand alone unit. 2 in 4 out. These are pretty rare, but as stated, can get the same thing in these receivers.

I have never used the SQ setting on my QSD-2 but I assume from the forums that it is not as good as a Tate. It is a stand alone unit. I run all my equipment thru A Sansui ra-500 reverb and a DBX 400. Then to my QSD-2 and into my Heathkit 2010 4 channel Amp. I made a deal with Quad Bob a few years back and he redid the boards for me. It sound so great that I usually just leave it on the synthesize setting. I have obtained some SQ and QS recordings and as soon as the move is completed and everything is hooked back up I'll know how it sounds. With the work Quad Bob did I really used it more than my QRX-8001 or my QRX-999 which needs work. Good Luck. A QRX 7001 is also a way to go.

Thanks for the advice. Guess I really should wait for a Tate to show up on e-bay. I know there has been some in the past but for the amount they are goung for I'm a little cautious. I would probably purchase one if I knew for sure that it was in good working order. Thanks.

Why the $455 facination over just the decoder when you could get so much more for so much less from a QS-1 or perhaps a receiver itself? Rarity? Novelty? Personally, I like the VU's on the QS-1 and thery're going for so much less!

Why the $455 facination over just the decoder when you could get so much more for so much less from a QS-1 or perhaps a receiver itself? Rarity? Novelty? Personally, I like the VU's on the QS-1 and thery're going for so much less!
WHY?? For one thing, the QS-1 is nothing more than a switching box, worthless as a decoder.

You dont say? So what can it do with just a 2 channel input and a 4 channel output?

ah a "synthesizer"?!

what trickery in marketing!

Last edited:
I don't know all that much about quad and very little about the QS-1 in particular. But, one thing I do know is that few people know more about these things than QuadTrade.

The boards in the QSD-2 are the same boards as in the QRX-9001. That said It does not have CD-4 capability. It synthesizes 4 channel, It has SQ and QS capability. The synthesized seperation is outstanding. I have recorded and owned 4 channel reels and the tapes in the last 34 years. I also own a QRX 8001 and a QRX 999. My ego loves my QRX 999 but my ears find slight differance. There is a whole lot less to go wrong.

You dont say? So what can it do with just a 2 channel input and a 4 channel output?

ah a "synthesizer"?!

what trickery in marketing!

QS-1 is early version, has little separation. A receiver with the 500 designation(3500) has better separation and (001) series is best.

QuadBob did the boards in mine. He also disconnected the blend resistors. He also sent back all the replaced electronics. Looks like a lot of time and work went into it. I cannot be happier. Thanks Bob.

I know this thread is ancient but I dont like starting ones. Anyway, there is a black QSD-2 starting its journey to me today from England :) and I'm wondering about step down transformers, my power here is 120v 60hz but most transformers online only convert voltage still at 60hz. Can the QSD-2 run 100v @ 60hz or should I find a transformer that will output 50hz? Recommendations welcome

I know this thread is ancient but I dont like starting ones. Anyway, there is a black QSD-2 starting its journey to me today from England :) and I'm wondering about step down transformers, my power here is 120v 60hz but most transformers online only convert voltage still at 60hz. Can the QSD-2 run 100v @ 60hz or should I find a transformer that will output 50hz? Recommendations welcome
Cool I always liked the black Sanui units.
If it is coming from England most likely it will need a step-up xfmer for 240 Volts. Did the seller specify the operating voltage?

Cool I always liked the black Sanui units.
If it is coming from England most likely it will need a step-up xfmer for 240 Volts. Did the seller specify the operating voltage?
It's a Japanese 100v unit 50/60hz, the 120v to 100v step downs online output 100v 60hz, but in Japan they use 100v @ 50hz, I think. So is it ok to run it at 100v 60hz?

It's a Japanese 100v unit 50/60hz, the 120v to 100v step downs online output 100v 60hz, but in Japan they use 100v @ 50hz, I think. So is it ok to run it at 100v 60hz?
Yes. A transformer designed for 50Hz will operate more efficiently at 60Hz. Conversely, a 60 Hz transformer run at 50Hz will be less efficient and could overheat.

Back