Sansui QSE-5B ***ENCODER*** on eBay!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarkNovak

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Check out this beast:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sansui-QSE-...honic-Sound-/121725536096?hash=item1c57684760

Probably came right out of an old FM transmitter rack somewhere... or maybe a recording studio?

$_57.jpg
$_57.jpg

Note the homebrew encoding mode switch on the rear panel...

I don't recall if that would have been aimed at radio transmission or recording. I thought I had read about that model on this forum, but can't seem to dig it up now.

That particular unit has been on Ebay for over a month (at least), it had started at a few hundred more than currently, and I swear I actually last saw it for a hundred
less than the current price. But I'm probably wrong.

It's definitely broadcast - the sticker on the back says it was sold by Allied Broadcast Supply, who were well-known suppliers to the radio industry prior to being absorbed by Harris Corp. in the 80s.

Well, that's optimism, I suppose ;) Only a hardcore FM geek would want this.

Check out this beast:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sansui-QSE-...honic-Sound-/121725536096?hash=item1c57684760

Probably came right out of an old FM transmitter rack somewhere... or maybe a recording studio?

View attachment 20553
View attachment 20554

Note the homebrew encoding mode switch on the rear panel...

In the late 70's a friend of mine worked at a college NPR station. He tipped me off to an auction at the radio station that included the QSE-5B. The station manager bid on it & sold it to me for what he paid: $50.

The most visually boring piece of gear Sansui ever made. The station originally purchased it to encode discrete material for FM broadcast. I traded it to Dave Winner for a QSD-1. I had both in my posession for some time & I QS encoded my Moodies R2R tapes & others. Had a lot of doing discrete vs QS tests.

Not really much to a QS encoder. They seem to go for high prices due to relative scarcity. Today I would rather go for an Involve evaluation encoder module. Or sim[ply use the encode script. There is not really a lot of reason to encode anything with so many discrete options available. Nothing is easier than playing flac files directly from your hard drive.

Not really much to a QS encoder. They seem to go for high prices due to relative scarcity. Today I would rather go for an Involve evaluation encoder module. Or sim[ply use the encode script. There is not really a lot of reason to encode anything with so many discrete options available. Nothing is easier than playing flac files directly from your hard drive.
I agree with all your points. Better ways today to encode matrix if you want & even better to use discrete flac or LCPM. I am surprised that SACD continues in that light or that some still hang on to DVD-A. I should say that I think SACD or DVD-A & dts HD-Master all provide superb sound. I love it all. But these are all legacy ways of providing high quality compressed (lossless or not) that has been superseded by more direct technology.

Playing my own devil's advocate I think something like the Surround Master based on legacy matrix systems still offers the best in modern stereo to surround sound.

Even better to use discrete flac or LCPM. I am surprised that SACD continues in that light or that some still hang on to DVD-A. I should say that I think SACD or DVD-A & dts HD-Master all provide superb sound. I love it all. But these are all legacy ways of providing high quality compressed (lossless or not) that has been superseded by more direct technology.

Some listeners have older disc players that do not include the ability to play music files.
Or they prefer to use spinning discs - be they LP, CD, SACD or DVD-A.

But you are right. The best sound comes from a more direct approach. Using music files and a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC).
That's how I'm listening to albums here. Even more enjoyable than with the discs! :)

Also worth noting, as Kal mentioned earlier, more and more releases are now showing up as Stereo CDs with the DSD Stereo and DSD Multichannel available only as DSD downloads.
Over 540 such titles on NativeDSD Music - including over 220 also available in Multichannel DSD.

Not on SACD - Over 540.png

https://www.nativedsd.com/new_browse

Back