Sansui XRX999 Repair

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morewhitenoise

Hi guys,

Long time lurker but first post (I think i used to have an account some years ago but couldnt log in!)

I have a sansui XRX999 that was given to me as a gift by a family member several years back. It 'works' but is in need of a full refurbishment
I have seen the services offered by Vintage Stereo Restorations | Sansui Repair ~ QRX-9001 Repair ~ Specializing in QRX-9001, 9090, 9090db and the Sansui QRX line and would love to have my unit undergo this level of work but i am very reluctant to send it to Portland from the UK given its size and weight (not to mention the cost of shipping and insurance!!)

Does anyone know of a reputable AND experienced person over here (UK) that can carry out similar levels of work including a full re-cap and refurbish (LED's, new boards, service the switches and refinish the wood).

I know im not asking much, but want to do the job properly and do it once!

Thanks for your help

Not sure how active the forum is for UK QRX owners but I reached a dead end trying to find someone in the UK to do the work. I spent a large amount of time and money to get it refurbished over in the US. It looks fantastic, just need to set it up and test it for sound.

Only advise I can give is try to ask for less and more, if that makes any sense.
Full recap, yes. LED, ok but I would prefer original and some techs like the original look as well. Servicers are a skittish breed and I would try to avoid the appearance of dictating what services one requires.
"New boards" is right out, this is a restoration of existing boards.

Wait, I misunderstood. You had it refurbished. You want to set it up and enjoy it!
Have you set up a 70's stereo? Familiar with speaker wires and where to connect, etc.?
It's like that but with four speakers instead of two! It is basically that simple to set up and test. There is a mode (RM?) (others can clarify) that will give a stereo-to-quad conversion so you could simply play an FM station and have sound out of all four speakers.
For set up and test for sound it is simple if you have four speakers, each with a speaker wire going where you want to use the receiver.
I understand if you want someone to do that for you but I'm sorry I'm not there so unable to help.

I tried to get a plumber to fix a kitchen sink leak last weekend but best I could do is find one to talk me through fixing it myself.

Only advise I can give is try to ask for less and more, if that makes any sense.
Full recap, yes. LED, ok but I would prefer original and some techs like the original look as well. Servicers are a skittish breed and I would try to avoid the appearance of dictating what services one requires.
"New boards" is right out, this is a restoration of existing boards.

Wait, I misunderstood. You had it refurbished. You want to set it up and enjoy it!
Have you set up a 70's stereo? Familiar with speaker wires and where to connect, etc.?
It's like that but with four speakers instead of two! It is basically that simple to set up and test. There is a mode (RM?) (others can clarify) that will give a stereo-to-quad conversion so you could simply play an FM station and have sound out of all four speakers.
For set up and test for sound it is simple if you have four speakers, each with a speaker wire going where you want to use the receiver.
I understand if you want someone to do that for you but I'm sorry I'm not there so unable to help.

I tried to get a plumber to fix a kitchen sink leak last weekend but best I could do is find one to talk me through fixing it myself.
Yes I was updating my post from 2020 with the conclusion of my search which was to ship the unit over to America as I couldn't find someone reputable over here.

It cost me a few thousand, but shipping wasn't so bad once I found a good box. It took the vintage hifi guys about a year to do it because they are so busy but hopefully its worth it. I'll upload some pictures when I get the chance.

Cheers

Back