Sansui's last QS decoder in USA

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disclord

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Plattsburg, MO (just outside Kansas City)
Here's a picture and info about Sansui's last QS decoder made for the US market (I don't know if it was sold elsewhere). It was sold in 1986/87 and I scanned the pic and info from a 1986 US Sansui catalog called "Sansui's World" that features Sansui's version of the Pioneer CLD-900 CD/LD player, which Sansui called the "Lasertron" - the catalog also features Sansui's 14-bit Tri-Code PCM recording adapters for VCR's, VHS Hi-Fi VCR's and other gear with a 'home theater' slant - they even have an A/V processor that has dbx II noise reduction built in.

Notice that the QS decoder is part of an A/V "control center" and video processor that also includes an FM tuner, sub-harmonic synthesizer and amplifiers - kind of a precursor to today's "do everything" receivers. There's no suggested price listed, but I imagine it was well over $500 for all the features it has. The spec's in the back of the catalog do not state if it's a Vario-Matrix QS decoder or not - probably not, even though you can still get the 3 IC's required for a Type-A Vario-Matrix decoder. It's not a licensed Dolby Surround decoder either, which is odd for the time as most companies quickly learned that the Dolby Surround logo boosted sales, even if it was a non-logic version. Proton found that consumers skipped buying their advanced logic decoder (based on the Aphex Ratio-Metric Logic system) in favor of non-logic versions because Proton didn't have the "Dolby Surround" stamp of goodness on the front panel.

Anyway, here it is, the last QS decoder sold in the USA.
SansuiS-XV1000QSDecoder150dpi.jpg

I have a Sansui DS-77 decoder, audio only. I'm going to guess it's the same QS as the S-XV1000, sounds like a no logic QS to me. It has a cinema surround and also no mention of dolby.
No dates on the decoder or the manual but the 'Authorized Service Centers' list included has a date as of July 1, 1987.

scan0001.jpg

vinylguy4

WOW! There was one later - I wonder why Sansui was putting non-logic QS in their products at this late of date? Doesn't the DS-77 have a peak un-limiter too?

I notice that the DS-77 has a "Center Front" level control - does the QS Surround mode also use the Center Front output?

Doesn't the DS-77 have a peak un-limiter too?

I notice that the DS-77 has a "Center Front" level control - does the QS Surround mode also use the Center Front output?

The manual calls it a Peak Attacker, will amplify signal by several db and then attenuate at a fixed rate.

The center front is only output for Cinema Surround mode, not output for QS mode.

I emailed the scans of the manual, so will be available via oldquadguy.

vinylguy4

The manual calls it a Peak Attacker, will amplify signal by several db and then attenuate at a fixed rate.

The center front is only output for Cinema Surround mode, not output for QS mode.

I emailed the scans of the manual, so will be available via oldquadguy.

vinylguy4

I think the name got mangled in the Japanese to English translation since the description is that of a peak un-limiter or, as dbx often called it, an above-threshold expander or impact restoration. I have the Pioneer VSX-9300 and VSX-D1S receivers and both have some strange names/descriptions for certain functions that could only be the result of Japanese to English mis-translations. The VSX-D1S also has features that literally don't do ANYTHING - like its DSSS button - it stands for Digitally Simulated Stereo Sound and, when pushed, nothing changes - well, a light comes on, but that's it - the audio doesn't change in any way, not even the slightest phase shift or frequency change. Even Stereo Review noticed that when they tested it. And the brochure for the 9300, which was the first receiver to have Dolby Pro-Logic built in, claimed that Pro-Logic worked by raising and lowering the volume of the channels to increase separation. Sadly, many people still think that is how Pro-Logic and other logic systems, such as the Tate DES, work to increase the channel separation of matrix encoded recordings.

I remember now that Stereophile reviewed the DS-77 in June or July of 1987 and really liked it - William Sommerwerck was the reviewer and stated that the QS Surround mode did a great job with both movies and UHJ encoded recordings - he had a few full-surround encoded UHJ recordings that placed instruments behind the listener and the Sansui placed them clearly behind the listener. He also said that the Simulated Stereo mode worked really well, making the DS-77 an all-around good value. He also tested the Aphex ESP-7000, Fosgate DSM-3602, SSI 720, and the Shure HTS-5200 in the same review - all were compared to the Fosgate Tate II 101A; it was used as the "reference standard" decoder for comparisons with the others decoding a DynaQuad test recording that had been mixed for the 'diamond' layout version of DynaQuad.

Thanks for scanning the manual for OQG to post - the DS-77 seems like a neat little decoder.

Thanks for pointing out the review.
I pulled out my oldest stereophile and found the Recommended Components issue.
The DS-77 got a class D. Fosgate 101A was class C. That Shure HTS-5200 in class A must be a heck of a decoder.
scan0019_part.jpg

vinylguy4

Thanks for pointing out the review.
I pulled out my oldest stereophile and found the Recommended Components issue.
The DS-77 got a class D. Fosgate 101A was class C. That Shure HTS-5200 in class A must be a heck of a decoder.

vinylguy4

I see from the issue number is was the March issue of Stereophile - I was going by memory because I lost that issue sometime in the mid-90's - it was the very first copy of Stereophile I ever read and bought it because it had such a massive review of surround decoders.

The Shure 5200 had the same Acra-Vector logic circuitry as the 5000 but improved upon the 5000 by adding a wireless remote control. As good as both were, they were bettered by the Shure 5300, which had a major overhaul in the Acra-Vector logic, adding more directional sensing points in the detector and the ability to enhance 2 directions simultaneously. Although its been discontinued since the early 90's, it's still a better decoder than Pro Logic, PL-II, Neo-6 or Circle Surround. The 5300's decoding is so good that it sounds like you're listening to a discrete 4-track recording.

now thatsa nii-ice - is that a joystick - ive seen that never before - right on with the information.

wm

Here is a Sansui AV-C10 - looks like there is a QS mode on the front.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180727332205&_rdc=1
Looks to me like the same vintage as the ds-77.

vinylguy4

I haven't seen this one before - Sansui was bound and determined to use the "QS" name again in their "CinemaSurround" series of products, weren't they? Sadly, I've discovered that it's not any form of "real" QS dematrixing - it's standard stereo up front, like Dolby Stereo or SQ, and L-R/R-L for the backs with just enough cross-blending to cancel Center Front from the back by about 10db.

I recall an article in Video or Video Review from the mid-80's about surround decoders where they mention Sansui's A/V surround products and a rep from Sansui Japan states that home surround should use QS because QS has a 'more definitive' surround channel than Dolby Surround, which I took to mean "stereo surrounds."

I have just acquired a Sansui S-XV1000. I am well pleased with it's performance. Looking forward to receiving the remote I just purchased. Have not found a Owners Manual. The unit generates a great amount of heat and must be kept well vented.
Respectfully,
GYBEE

Last edited:
:phones GENTLEMEN\LADIES,
I appreciate the many contributions to:Sansui's Latest QS Decoder in USA. As I had stated in my initial posting I had located and ordered a remote for the S-XV1000. The supplier was unable to fill the order for the RS-1000V remote. I am still attempting to locate a remote and would appreciate any help posted here or to my Email address: [email protected]
I do have a very clear Xerox copy of the Service Manual. Have not located a Owner Manual.
Thank You Very Much...GYBEE

Back