DVD/DTS Poll Santana - Abraxas [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Santana - ABRAXAS

• Total voters
Yes, the Q4 was the Mike Robin....I love the quad mix of this...including acrobatics, the SQ LP not great separation but the tone is fine, the DTS disc? great separation but the glissando makes my fillings explode. The Q4 is the best. A very good candidate for someone to make a great legit release of, IMHO. AF, where are you? John

What about the DVD A of the Quad reel?

What a cruel joke... someone excitedly buys this disc on ebay for an exhuberent price, pops it in to their player with breath held in anticipation, and then gradually works through the stages of grief until they angrily relist the item on ebay for an even higher price than they paid... and the wheel goes round and round... UNTIL NOW! I vow to keep this disc until I die, and not to subject anyone else to this cruel torture! Ok, now to the review: the bass guitar and low end of the drums are barely audible; the surround mix is fantastic (I think the acrobatics are perfect for this music), and the music content is classic. Without the low end, however, this disc is just unlistenable. So, even though the mix and content may warrant a vote of 6, if a disc is unlistenable, that qualifies as a waste of plastic in my book, so a 1 it is.

What a cruel joke... someone excitedly buys this disc on ebay for an exhuberent price, pops it in to their player with breath held in anticipation, and then gradually works through the stages of grief until they angrily relist the item on ebay for an even higher price than they paid... and the wheel goes round and round... UNTIL NOW! I vow to keep this disc until I die, and not to subject anyone else to this cruel torture! Ok, now to the review: the bass guitar and low end of the drums are barely audible; the surround mix is fantastic (I think the acrobatics are perfect for this music), and the music content is classic. Without the low end, however, this disc is just unlistenable. So, even though the mix and content may warrant a vote of 6, if a disc is unlistenable, that qualifies as a waste of plastic in my book, so a 1 it is.

try to find the Robin Reel DVD-A, and then you'll see what went wrong (basically what you mentioned)...

As this was an early dts disc, when the producers/engineers were unfamiliar with the format, is it possible that they did the oh-so-cool (yeah, right) factory-bass-management thing (going to anemic-4 plus .1) and reduced the bass content by 10 db (as per the DVD standard)?

I borrowed my brother-in-law's copy. He told me that I could keep it as long as I wished. I listened to it once and gave it back. Disappointingly awful. I gave it a 4. Strictly on content, which rates about a 12 out of 10, but zero for sound quality and zero for the mix!!!!

Last edited:
I usually heed the warnings I receive here. This time curiosity got the better of me and I just had to have it.
It's hard to believe that something could turn out like this on accident. Sounds like it was created during one of the acid tests!

I keep the Robin Reel DVD-A in a double CD case with this DTS disc. Guess which one never gets played? :SB

Not exactly sure, myself! Help, someone! @fredblue perhaps?

since its master tape or thereabouts (DAT dub?) quality, i wonder if there is any salvaging/reverse-engineering this DTS CD?

i think it was said (Tad?) there were some DTS titles which fell victim to Brad Miller's hearing difficulties brought about by his illness and for some masterings he would adjust and readjust EQ etc sometimes to the detriment of the sound.

or maybe its baked-in and irreversible.. still, you never know, all may not be lost.. AF, MFSL, DV and Sony Japan all released Santana on SACD (and 3 of them did some Quad, albeit AF's Lotus was in matrix encoded form) so i still live in hope a Sony Japan or maybe even DV release of Abraxas is not totally beyond the realms of possiblity.. clinging on to (Bob) hope, (Steve) jobs and (Johnny) cash this Christmas!! 🎄🥳🎅🏼🥰

Unfortunately I haven't seen that one or III in reel form - only Abraxas.
I'm getting real jealous here. Early Santana up to Borboletta is one of my favorites. I totally missed out on Quad. Never heard any until about a year ago. Every year the source material degrades. If it even still exists.....

I'm getting real jealous here. Early Santana up to Borboletta is one of my favorites. I totally missed out on Quad. Never heard any until about a year ago. Every year the source material degrades. If it even still exists.....

i have no idea what Quad masters Sony holds but i feel fairly confident the Santana stuff would be held in some form or other.
pretty much all the Santana Quads (Lotus aside) upto and including Borboletta have good surround mixes but for me the last couple of Quad mixes were disappointing (fake?) anyway i still loved the music (Amigos, Festival) and if any of it gets reissued i'll be allfakkinoverit like a big kid on a bouncy castle!! bouncey bouncey! bouncey bouncey! 🎉

Back