Santana - Abraxas Japanese Quad SACD Officially Announced (October 28, 2020)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This still hasn't reappeared yet on any of the bigger Japanese retailers, but DMM, which looks to be some kind of DVD/CD rental site, now lists Abraxas with a 10/28 release date. If that date is correct, I suspect we'll see more official news and a reappearance of listings on all the major Japanese retail sites later this month, maybe once the Headhunters and/or first Santana discs are released.

This still hasn't reappeared yet on any of the bigger Japanese retailers, but DMM, which looks to be some kind of DVD/CD rental site, now lists Abraxas with a 10/28 release date. If that date is correct, I suspect we'll see more official news and a reappearance of listings on all the major Japanese retail sites later this month, maybe once the Headhunters and/or first Santana discs are released.
Now that date seems the more likely one; and hopefully followed up by others sometime shortly after the first of the year, which would be similar to the schedule of the Jeff Beck titles. Santana III, Caravanserai and Welcome 🤞

I see there's also a mention of the USA 50th. Anniversary ("memorializes the 50th anniversary release"), just not linked to it being the 50th. Anniversary of the Japanese LP quad release (which would be next year). So I will revise my previous theory (on the Santana I thread) and suggest Sony are just issuing 50th. Anniversary quad SACD editions of whatever the original format was.

So we can expect "Santana III" next year, and "Caravanserai" in 2022. "Welcome" also had a quad release, so maybe 2023 for that, and 2024 for the "Borboletta" quad.

I'm not sure about what might come after those, "Amigos" did have an SQ mix, but the band had moved to Columbia by then, and I have no idea about their relationship with Sony.

Anyhow, this "Abraxas" release is great news - except, of course, for our already stressed out credit cards. But to paraphrase George Best:

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and surround sound/quad releases. The rest I just squandered."
:p

Last edited:
Bad that we have to wait for Caravanserai and Borboletta. Those are two great quad mixes. I mean, very different from each other, with Caravanserai being very atmospheric and Borboletta rather busy, but they are both great. I also quite like Santana III in quad... I mean, the first few seconds of Batuka... If I remember correctly, starting just with FR speaker, then LR, then RR... great.

Abraxas on fresh mastered quad is pretty darn cool, it’s Santana III that I’m going to go bonkers for, and of course the Caravan after that!

See the Santana catalogue was just too good, with too many quad mixes, and too good and consistent of a seller to be ignored in this Japanese series.

And everyone thought that because of all the reissues like MFSL or elsewhere that it was just not very likely or possible.

So the year is turning out to be ok for surround after all. Now if we can get a super batch of DV quad Rock / Pop SACDs announced for late this year then all is really good.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about what might come after those, "Amigos" did have an SQ mix, but the band had moved to Columbia by then, and I have no idea about their relationship with Sony.

Santana has been with Columbia from 1969 to 1990, all quad mixes are on Columbia (USA) or Sony (Japan). CBS Sony is the japanese arm of Columbia USA.

I'm MASSIVELY PRESSED for time, so I haven't read everyone's comments thoroughly. Sorry!

I hope I can recall all these pressings accurately, as I only have half of them now. Here are a few thoughts on previous Abraxas 2ch & Quad releases:

I've owned this on 2ch LP, SQ, Q8, 1/2 speed CBS Mastersound LP, German LP w/ no sleeves, just cover of box (in 10 LP various artists box Various - Rock-Archiv I ), Japan (1st) CD, US (1st) CD, MoFi (1st) Gold CD, expanded CD, EU 2CD (w/Santana I both expanded), DTS CD, & MoFi 2ch SACD. The Japan Quad SACD would be #13. I haven't owned a dub of the Robin reel or single-layer SACD.

Musically, a spectacular album! The Quad mix is pretty discrete, although maassively gimmicky!

Hiss has been a problem w/all early CD pressings. Japan CD was unbelieveably hissy, US CD was horribly high-filtered (what, no high end?), MoFi 1st Gold CD was much less hissy, but also much less high end. It was halfway in between the other 2. IMHO, still sounded crappy.

Had similar issues with early US CD of Aqualung, although early German CD was OK, as were many re-mastered CD's. Perhaps this and Abraxas result from early noise reduction gear at studios?? They were recorded about the same time.

US SQ was lacking bass, though not as horribly as US SQ Santana III. Q8 still lacking some bass, albeit markedly better than US SQ.

DTS CD had Quad mix, but sounds kind of blah. I'm being kind...

Perhaps if/when they get to a Quad SACD of Amigos, they can do a REAL Quad mix.

Hopefully, this time they will get Abraxas right!!

I've owned this ... The Japan Quad SACD would be #13.
Blimey, that's an awful lot of purchases of the one album. Maybe an idea to start a new post:
"How many formats/editions of an album have you bought?"
But I could only manage 5 ("Relayer" - vinyl, cassette, 2 CD editions, and Wilson's mix).

Blimey, that's an awful lot of purchases of the one album. Maybe an idea to start a new post:
But I could only manage 5 ("Relayer" - vinyl, cassette, 2 CD editions, and Wilson's mix).

That's something I find myself thinking about all the time the last few years it seems. How many times have I bought this album? And I find myself going back to 70s vinyl, 8-track, cassette and forward. It gets pretty ridiculous. I think I've gotten as high as seven editions (various formats). I actually have some albums now that I figure I've closed out permanently with purchases of SACDs or blu-rays...

Well, CDJapan just gave me 500 bonus points and then another 300 so I went ahead and ordered BOTH the Santana and Hancock 7 inchers ....wish they had listed Abraxas, as well, because DHL s/h whether one orders 1 or 2 discs remains the same.

That might be an ultimately depressing scenario especially [like Linda] one had besides [QUAD] VINYL, [QUAD]Open Reel,[QUAD] 8 track, cassettes, early RBCD and then remastered editions, etc. and NOW hi res formats. And then there's the possibility [for those equipped] to re~invest in ATMOS....to replace the 5.1!

The landfills of the world are littered with archaic formats, unless, of course, like Linda and myself .... WE'RE HOARDERS!

And when it comes to video formats ....... DON'T GET ME STARTED!

Last edited:
Good spot. Don't understand the release date, though. It's coming out in less than two weeks, but we're still grappling to try and find a clear, official media release about it.
:confused:
"Item has not been released yet, probable delivery date is 23.9.2020.You can order the title now. It will be dispatched to you as soon as it is available."

I'd guess they're going on old information. Other signs elsewhere (noted upthread) point to a late October release.

"Item has not been released yet, probable delivery date is 23.9.2020.You can order the title now. It will be dispatched to you as soon as it is available."

I'd guess they're going on old information. Other signs elsewhere (noted upthread) point to a late October release.
With these crazy times (world wide), it’s not much of a stretch that the advertising departments aren’t keeping up with the productions worth a damn; just look how they hosed up that new Goats Head Soup release.

Abraxas SA-CD Multi Hybrid Edition [Limited Edition] [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] Santana SACD

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 2.04.09 PM.png

Back