Santana - Abraxas Japanese Quad SACD Officially Announced (October 28, 2020)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's so funny to hear how happy we are are that we received a copy of a 50 year old album that most of the world bought back then and today 99.99% of the population could care less, and 99.9999999999999% of the population would say "Why are you spending $60 on a CD? No one buys CD's anymore, and don't you already have that?"

It's good to be a wacko! :51QQ

and then there are those freaks that spent a load on something like 4 Doobie Brother albums in a box. wink

Almost ALL Japanese SACDS, whether hybrid, SHM~SACD or QUAD are LIMITED EDITIONS and depending on how well they sell, will NOT be repressed if the initial batch runs out.

In the case of these SANTANA QUADS .... methinks the demand was through the roof and a GOOD THING FOR US as SONY Japan will further embark on future Santana QUAD reissues and then HOPEFULLY move on to other much sought after SONY/RCA QUAD titles from their back catalogues.

Got this today, super fast from cdjapan

S1YnjrX.jpg

eJqtQRe.jpg

ga9TdEl.jpg

IjjQs7p.jpg

Regards,

I just received my order today from cdjapan...ordered the 1st Santana as well as Abraxas. Listening to Santana now, then I'll move on to Abraxas. ...
Bring on Santana III, Caravanserai, Welcome, Amigos and Borbolleta!

Chris

Well then, why not Moonflower too?!?!
I remember buying that album immediately after hearing "She's Not There" on the radio when I lived just west of Beantown back in '77. I don't know if there is an available multi-track master to copy from though.

I would just like to take a pause from the group euphoria going on about this spectacular release from Sony Japan and remind everyone that our resident quadraphonic historian, librarian, and all around encyclopedia of the quad era was the first person anywhere on the entire internet to put 2 + 2 together and figure out that this release was going to quickly follow the first Santana SACD.

That's a GREAT JOB by our own @steelydave, and the proof of course is in this thead - in Post #1 from September 1!

I would just like to take a pause from the group euphoria going on about this spectacular release from Sony Japan and remind everyone that our resident quadraphonic historian, librarian, and all around encyclopedia of the quad era was the first person anywhere on the entire internet to put 2 + 2 together and figure out that this release was going to quickly follow the first Santana SACD.

That's a GREAT JOB by our own @steelydave, and the proof of course is in this thead - in Post #1 from September 1!

It was Santana's second album, released in September of 1970, so it's pretty obvious that Sony Japan will likely release all Santana's future QUADS in chronological order.

SANTANA III ~ September 1971
CARAVANSERAI ~ October 1972
LOVE, DEVOTION & SURRENDER ~ July 1973 [Santana/John McLaughlin]
WELCOME ~November 1973
BARBOLETTA ~ October 1974
AMIGOS ~ 1976
FESTIVAL ~ January 1977

Last edited:
Moonflower was released shortly after CBS stopped issuing quad LPs :(
That’s a bit of a let-down, but at least most of that album seems to have been not only well played by the musicians, but expertly recorded, engineered, and mastered with proper stereo soundstage, low noise floor, excellent dynamic range, balance, so competent home processing into quad shouldn’t be a wasted effort. Looking forward to listening to all three of these new albums from Japan played through the BDP 105 recently acquired from the ‘bay’.

Even though my tracking says Friday delivery, in the last 12+ hours, it moved from Cincinatti hub, to Chicago hub! And, that was at 10am. I gotta believe it will be on my doorstep tomorrow.

Ummm. Not so fast GOS. So, DHL tracking still says it's in Chicago since 10am yesterday. Really? So now it's just going to sit? Seems it went SOOO fast from Japan to Chicago...then quicksand appears. Maybe it will be Friday at this rate.

Back