Santana - Abraxas Japanese Quad SACD Officially Announced (October 28, 2020)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Update... So the SQ is muh -so so IMO, but the Q8 is worthy 🤫 , so the mix is there - carry on Sony. I was just thinking of one of those others with loads of reverb etc. etc.

YOU DON'T SAY.gif

Update... So the SQ is muh -so so IMO, but the Q8 is worthy 🤫 , so the mix is there - carry on Sony. I was just thinking of one of those others with loads of reverb etc. etc.

View attachment 58635

honestly my dear Pupster, i'd say Borboletta's one of the Santana Quadraphonic keepers (anything Quaddy with Glen Kolotkin's name attached is a good'un imho).... shpeeking ofvich, how about that "Azteca" Quad on a 7-inch SACD, Sony Japan!? 🙏

I was just thinking of one of those others with loads of reverb etc. etc.

With the CBS quads, I've always found that a reverb deficiency is the more common issue - though there are some exceptions. Burton Cummings' self-titled LP is loaded with it, as is the song "Everything's Coming Our Way" on Santana III.

Ummm. Not so fast GOS. So, DHL tracking still says it's in Chicago since 10am yesterday. Really? So now it's just going to sit? Seems it went SOOO fast from Japan to Chicago...then quicksand appears. Maybe it will be Friday at this rate.
Look in your mailbox, Gene.
Mine just showed up.
Out here in the heartland, DHL mails it overnight priority once it hits their big city facilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny. I ordered mine from imports CD for $54 with shipping but it shows a release date of next week. Oh well at least $25 cheaper than I found anywhere else...if i actually receive it

It'll come. I ordered Santana I from ImportCDs and got it roughly three weeks later than the CDJapan contingent.

Got all excited today when I saw a "shipping notice" email from ImportCDs--then opened it and saw that it was for Fish Out of Water.

Last edited:
Well, I NEVER said I was good in MATH, Moonflower! Abraxas coincidentally was released 'almost' to the day of its 50th Anniversary and it would make sense that Santana III and Caravanserai would be next in line but rather than guesstimate:

See the source image
ああファック
LOOOVE the smart kitty gif!!!!
(...THIS one!)

OK, just had my first full listen to this direct from the disc through the oppo, and yes it's a keeper for sure. Almost thought I heard a couple ticks about 1 sec into Black Magic Woman & 12 sec into Hope You're Feeling Better (front channels); but I think maybe they're like weirdly placed wood block hits, drum stick or staccato tambourine hits or something - :unsure:

But, after ripping via the direct to flash drive method on my Sony I can report no real audible mega tick on the first few milli-seconds of the first track. Folks ripping with an oppo 103 shouldn't have that issue with the old SACDExtractGUI program.

Been meaning to get out my SQ of Welcome. A spectacular album! Mint first pressing w/US SQ "OBI" strip and white record label with gold script. Embossed front cover, too. Later pressings have the standard Columbia Quadraphonic gold label.

I got the Q8, but got rid of it back in the day. Mother Africa is split between both programs on the Q8. Phooey!

Been thinking of spinning Borboletta SQ, too. A very good album and mix. I'd give it a 9. Foil cover.

Haven't played Amigos in a long time. I bought the SQ the first week it was out. Great album, but it is QuadraPHONEY! Maybe I'll spin my CD instead.

Enjoying Abraxas Quad SACD. 4th time I bought this mix: Q8, SQ, DTS-CD and SACD 4.0. Although I have all the Quads, can't wait to rebuy them on 4.0 SACD's!

BTW: I've caught him live 8 times. One of my 10 fave artists.

I was talking to a good friend that had not been over the house for ages. He mentioned that he wants to make a trip to come over and hear the big AR speakers like back in the day...as soon as this f’n COVID debacle subsides.

I told him that virtually all of my listening is now in surround sound and that there has been a rebirth of Quad reissues from back in the 70s. His initial response was, “You have any Santana?... Abraxas?” I responded, “Just out now.” Import CDs, you‘ve got to come through for me!

Packaging of ABRAXUS is magnificent. The songs are outstanding and the Quad mix is 10/10.
But the bottom end is a bit too heavy, at least on my system. Comparing it to SANTANA, the recording of ABRAXUS at the time was an improvement over SANTANA, and that fuller sound is reflected. The Black Magic Woman track particularly is very "heavy" after the intro and when the bass line starts.
I play it at a lower level and that is almost perfect.
However
I would have given a 10, but I think an 8 because of the bass heavy sound, compared to SANTANA.

Packaging of ABRAXUS is magnificent. The songs are outstanding and the Quad mix is 10/10.
But the bottom end is a bit too heavy, at least on my system. Comparing it to SANTANA, the recording of ABRAXUS at the time was an improvement over SANTANA, and that fuller sound is reflected. The Black Magic Woman track particularly is very "heavy" after the intro and when the bass line starts.
I play it at a lower level and that is almost perfect.
However
I would have given a 10, but I think an 8 because of the bass heavy sound, compared to SANTANA.

It's interesting how we all perceive the sound. I listened to it last night, and I was actually turning up the dial on my sub a couple notches. haha

BTW: I've caught him live 8 times. One of my 10 fave artists.
Kudos to you. I've only seen Santana a couple of times - 25 years apart. Each time was special though with medium size audiences (4000-6000). Haven't listened to Abraxas yet but I'm going to enjoy these albums one at a time. Looking forward to the ride.

Santana_1982_01.jpg

Back