Santana - Abraxas Japanese Quad SACD Officially Announced (October 28, 2020)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting how we all perceive the sound. I listened to it last night, and I was actually turning up the dial on my sub a couple notches. haha

That is "ha ha". It is the fact how each system may reflect something just a little different! Sometimes we need other ears for perspective too. Great songs though. One point is when I play mine through Analogue I have no sub. It's less bassy obviously, but I can still hear a slightly "wooly" bass. Which is ok.

It's interesting how we all perceive the sound. I listened to it last night, and I was actually turning up the dial on my sub a couple notches. haha
Yeah, we all have such different speaker set ups and room acoustics I'm sure!

Take me for an example - please>>>

Regular bookshelf sized Martin Logan (with folded tweeters) for fronts, an old 12" AR sub, a PARADIGM center about 5' off the floor over the TV and TANNOY rears (IN CEILING)

Let the matched speaker folks start their whipping now
whip it good.gif
:oops::eek: :p🤠 :SB

Regular bookshelf sized Martin Logan (with folded tweeters) for fronts, an old 12" AR sub, a PARADIGM center about 5' off the floor over the TV and TANNOY rears (IN CEILING)

Let the matched speaker folks start their whipping now View attachment 58689 :oops::eek::p🤠 :SB

Since you obviously LOVE to get whipped, Pupster, don't you think when they remixed those QUAD albums back in the 70's they utilized FOUR PERFECTLY MATCHED SPEAKERS, amps and speaker cables to ensure everything WAS PERFECTLY MATCHED.

And with your center over the TV and NOT in alignment with the r/l front speakers, if you attempted to play those three channel AP Nat King Cole discs, his voice would float above the TV and would in NO way be in alignment with the orchestra.

And with your rear speakers ceiling mounted, NO WAY could you ever perfectly integrate them with the fronts since there's no way they could be imaged properly or angled to make necessary adjustments. IMO, in ceiling speakers would be better utilized for ATMOS if you ever decide to go that route!

An INTERVENTION is in your future.

See the source image
"GIT ALONG LITTLE DOGIE"🐶 BUT WE ALL ❤ U just the same! XOXOXO

Last edited:

Let the matched speaker folks start their whipping now View attachment 58689 :oops::eek::p🤠 :SB
MIne are damn near matched. I mean, my rears are only off by a couple years. lol! All Klipsch towers...

Since you obviously LOVE to get whipped, Pupster, don't you think when they remixed those QUAD albums back in the 70's they utilized FOUR PERFECTLY MATCHED SPEAKERS, amps and speaker cables to ensure everything WAS PERFECTLY MATCHED.

And with your center over the TV and NOT in alignment with the r/l front speakers, if you attempted to play those three channel AP Nat King Cole discs, his voice would float above the TV and would in NO way be in alignment with the orchestra.

And with your rear speakers ceiling mounted, NO WAY could you ever perfectly integrate them with the fronts since there's no way they could be imaged properly or angled to make necessary adjustments.

An INTERVENTION is in your future.
View attachment 58689
Yup thought so 😑

Yup thought so 😑
Yes

Ideally we all want matched speakers but not always feasible. My first set up was Bose, PSB and M&K.

On the Deadwood Stage?

MIne are damn near matched. I mean, my rears are only off by a couple years. lol! All Klipsch towers...
My man with Klipsch! I have Legends - KLF-20 6 of them + the center. I always think I should look for another pair, make one the center and use the other for parts/backup etc. Maybe even 3 pairs and suspend 4 from ceiling for Atmos! 😂

Reactions: GOS
And after all those bass heavy releases lately, the question I have to ask about this one is "Where's The Bass"? Definately needs a boost. Anemic. Three subs are obviously not enough. Maybe it's time to get a fourth. Might have to expand my 17 x 12 foot room for that though. I remember previous mixes of this title having a lot more bass. And my speakers are fully matched. I actually think that someone miffed this one up. Samba Pa Ti is pretty much the only track that has some oomph.

Last edited:
And after all those bass heavy releases lately, the question I have to ask about this one is "Where's The Bass"? Definately needs a boost. Anemic. Three subs are obviously not enough. Maybe it's time to get a fourth. Might have to expand my 17 x 12 foot room for that though. I remember previous mixes of this title having a lot more bass. And my speakers are fully matched. I actually think that someone miffed this one up. Samba Pa Ti is pretty much the only track that has some oomph.
Actually the last 3 tracks on the album have some elevated bass from the rest. I'm glad that Santana was not messed up as it is my favorite album above Abraxas.

Got mine today, shipped from Amazon JP. I wonder how it compares against the wonderful R2R transfer of the quad that exists "somewhere".
Hope I'll have some time during the weekend to test
Yes Cesar, I would like to know how it compares to “The R2R Which Must Not Be Named.”

Yes Cesar, I would like to know how it compares to “The R2R Which Must Not Be Named.”
That'll hopefully happen some time during the weekend. Ended up work just in time today to watch Mando with my son... and that meant exhausting my Friday living room usage credits, so now wife rules.

That's a nice afternoon with your son and Disney+. I'd like to compare notes on the SACD vs the R2R. My SACD is scheduled to ship from Import CDs on Nov 6th, so you will be way ahead of me on this.

Thanks to a beautiful friend I have had the pleasure of hearing this. The sound and mix is absolutely stunning.
I don't understand why these discs are not issued worldwide and at a decent price.
A 10 from me

As for the pricing, keep in mind American reissue companies MoFi and Analogue Productions are charging between $30~35 for STEREO ONY SACDs in pretty generic packaging and Japanese reissues have always come with a premium price.

Yup it came early just got my first listen in. Exquisite packaging. I feel the first album listening now has slightly better sound.
I sure hope Japan issues all the Santana quads including the dreaded Festival and Amigos.

Would be nice if SONY JAPAN ordered NEW 5.1 remixes for Festival and Amigos......they probably won't be reissued [if, at all] until the middle of 2021 so there's ample time to do the remixes. Fingers Crossed, Jeffie!!!!!

I pulled the trigger on both Santana I and Abraxas today. Paid $140 Canadian with shipping. Eh.... a little pricey I suppose but maybe that just because we've been so spoiled by Vocalion's comparatively discount prices. I can't say I'm the biggest Santana fan, but if there are any of his albums to be had in Quad, here they are.

Back