Santana - Abraxas Japanese Quad SACD Officially Announced (October 28, 2020)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, they're a great package with lots of high grade photos of old Quad stuff etc. The only problem is, it's all in Japanese.

I just found this on the web, that looks like a free app, that may take the jpg scans and OCR convert to Word doc/pdf etc.; and we can read what they're saying; which I'd like to know.

Any other thoughts on this?

Here's a screenshot of the web page & link
https://convertio.co/ocr/japanese/
OCR.JPG

I pulled the trigger on both Santana I and Abraxas today. Paid $140 Canadian with shipping. Eh.... a little pricey I suppose but maybe that just because we've been so spoiled by Vocalion's comparatively discount prices. I can't say I'm the biggest Santana fan, but if there are any of his albums to be had in Quad, here they are.
Just watch out when it hits the Canadian boarder "DUTY CALLS"!!

I was looking through the QQ Vault of stashed away sealed SACDs and DVD-As I have amassed over the years and found this one. Totally forgot it even existed. Another blown opportunity for Sony USA. Could have put the quad on this one, even though the packaging is no where near as nice.

If I had to guess, I would assume that this SACD pre-dated the Sony move to MultiChannel SACD in order to take advantage of DVD-A's delayed introduction back at the turn of the century. Oh so long ago and far away.............

Abraxas US SACD 1.jpg

I forgot I have that stereo only SACD as well. Only played it a few times. If I recall correctly, it didn’t even have a CD layer.

Really looking forward to the new SACD version I bought from CDJapan. Very simple to deal with. Quick delivery.

Bring on the other Santana Quads, and all will be right with the world.

Here's one I've been working on this morning, I may do some others as time allows; but it is a ton of work to get the translation this close, and do all the photo editing.
This was done by first scanning the sleeve, then using the Convertio OCR online tool, transfering the OCRed text to Word & Google translate and Coral Paintshop Pro. It is a highly compressed image here, the one I have is actually around 10MB in size.
This is the new Abraxas front sleeve for the 7" SACD.

ABRAXAS SACD SLEEVE F-ENGLISH-2.jpg

Last edited:
Funny. I ordered mine from imports CD for $54 with shipping but it shows a release date of next week. Oh well at least $25 cheaper than I found anywhere else...if i actually receive it
Well Import CD's cancelled my Tears For Fears order w/o notification so I may have to cancel my Abraxas order from them..yup, release date now says 11-6-2020...
Santana Abraxas (Hybrid-SACD) [Import] Japanese Mini-Lp Sleeve, Hybrid SACD, Direct Stream Digital, Japan - Import on ImportCDs

Last edited:
Well Import CD's cancelled my Tears For Fears order w/o notification so I may have to cancel my Abraxas order from them as well...not sure why they flaked out...
I think importCDs has been playing fast and loose with their listings; they let me place a pre-order on “THE RED PLANET” combo, when someone believed to be from Wakeman’s inner circle says no more of those are in the pipeline.

Well Import CD's cancelled my Tears For Fears order w/o notification so I may have to cancel my Abraxas order from them..yup, release date now says 11-6-2020...
Santana Abraxas (Hybrid-SACD) [Import] Japanese Mini-Lp Sleeve, Hybrid SACD, Direct Stream Digital, Japan - Import on ImportCDs
ImportCD's also showed a release date of about a week later than Japan on the first Santana SACD and they did ship right after that date. I am still expecting them to ship Abraxas right after 11/6 as originally promised.

ImportCD's also showed a release date of about a week later than Japan on the first Santana SACD and they did ship right after that date. I am still expecting them to ship Abraxas right after 11/6 as originally promised.

Same - the first Santana shipped about 2-3 days after ImportCD's listed release date but no issues at all from them.

Good to hear Import CD's delivered on the Santana release. I inquired about Abraxas and received this response:

Thank you for contacting ImportCDs!
Hello,
Our records indicate that the item is preordered and expected to be released on the 11/06/20 .
The item will ship as soon as it becomes available.
We apologize for the inconvenience
Again, thank you for writing ImportCDs. We appreciate your business.

Best regards,
IC – ImportCDs Customer Service Support

Here's the back of the SACD sleeve translated.
I found a better font I like for this called Batang.

I believe a lot of this is correct; but there is some of it that definitely doesn't sound quite right; i.e. the section that starts with "LPD mechanism", not sure what that's all about?
And the next line of "The place where I sat is the golden box", uhh OK?

A bit of hilarity broke out here when the line in the section that says "4 channel broadcasts on FM also" kept translating to something with "Good Woman" in it, and I had to intuit it to mean "Broadcast" aka "Good Broad" -LMAO

I must say, knowing more about SQ now in general; they (Sony) were very -let's say... pushing the hype to the limit here!

*Another note for the front image I did earlier, I discovered an error I'll need to correct -where it says 30 in one line, pretty sure now it's should be SQ. Learning as I go.
But if anyone has any suggestions on the translations, have a shout out and we'll discuss.
And this is a low resolution version below, so that it would post up.

SLEEVE BACK-english -lower res.jpg

Back