Santana - Abraxas Japanese Quad SACD Officially Announced (October 28, 2020)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JP, I did receive notification a few days ago from ImportCD, that Wakeman's RED PLANET CD/DVD combo in special 'pop up packaging' was indeed shipped out and I should be receiving it shortly. If it is NOT as advertised, you can be sure I'll be shipping it back....and will report back further.
Great thank you!
Yeah, I misspoke earlier somewhere with Gene, thinking mine had shipped, when it really was Fish Out Of Water that had shipped and not that one. So as far as I know though, mine has not shipped yet. I'm going to log in now and see if anything is shaking on there, wouldn't want to hurt their poor sweet feelings 😁

I bought the SACD from Ebay UK. £61
As Amazon UK have it now at £77

It arrived today I also have the DTS 5.1 version disc.
On Black Magic Woman towards the end there is Scream by the Vocalist
on the SACD 4 Channel the screams are less in Volume.
On the DTS 5.1 disc the screams are louder.

It's nice to hear Carlos Guitars so close on this original Quadraphonic SACD.

There is better bass response on this SACD
Compared to the DTS 5.1 Disc.
Another good poster did inform me of this.

Also track 8 "Hope you are feeling better"
Comes up better on the DTS 5.1.
The Handclaps are better on 5.1.
And this track is more clear on DTS 5.1.

The Sony Japan SACD gets the Organ on back speakers overloading

They're messin with your head. LOL
Wait, it gets better. Last night I tried using the discount code but it kept telling me it had expired (it actually expires tonight 11/12). Figured I'd try once more this morning before ordering from CDJapan, since they have both Santana titles in stock. Lo and behold, the discount code now worked and Abraxas should be on it's way shortly. I guess persistence pays off. (y)

I just received this SACD from CDJapan and I’m on my second listen. I‘m going to give it a few more spins before providing a rating, but as others have mentioned, there are some things about the quad mix that I find less than ideal. For example, the guitar swells at the beginning of Black Magic Woman are so low in the mix that they sound like they’re coming from another room compared to the accompaniment. For the most part, I really like the discrete nature of the quad mix, but I think the instrument levels are a little off for some of the individual parts.

Yes on track 8. "Hope You're Feeling Better
The Organ is overloaded on rear speakers on the Japan SACD.

That one track is better on the DTS 5.1 Disc CD

Sorry to bring it up, again

Last edited:
I'll just leave this here for context.
Rick Griffin cover of the "Special 69 Issue", Zap Comix No.3, published 1969.
Note the upper left corner.

zapcomix3.jpg

I grabbed this and the S/T Japanese 7" quad SACDs at Deep Discount with a discount code which saved me about $16 on the two imports. They just arrived.

Seems that the new DV titles Mott and BTO are getting all the coverage now. But these two Santana quad titles are very important. And when they announce the next two in this series, if they do, the world will shake on its axis. Santana III and Caravanserai are hopefully coming in 4.0.

I grabbed this and the S/T Japanese 7" quad SACDs at Deep Discount with a discount code which saved me about $16 on the two imports. They just arrived.

Seems that the new DV titles Mott and BTO are getting all the coverage now. But these two Santana quad titles are very important. And when they announce the next two in this series, if they do, the world will shake on its axis. Santana III and Caravanserai are hopefully coming in 4.0.
Santana lll has just been re-stocked on stereo SACD by MoFi(?) - I wonder if this will affect the Japanese MC reissue....

Santana lll has just been re-stocked on stereo SACD by MoFi(?) - I wonder if this will affect the Japanese MC reissue....
No, Sony Japan do not accept quad-blocks as a business concern. Plus they don't have the same expensive licensing costs being that they are the owners of the catalog. Sales can be lower with them owning the material outright as long as they charge enough. $45 to $50 a title seems to be about double what MFSL charges for a new SACD. MFSL by the way is doing very small runs with the intention to sell them out and move to the next title. The era of the long available MFSL title are about gone I think. Everything very limited.

There is room for these Japan SACDs, as several titles have shown. If they did these two Santana titles, a few more can be done as well.

To be honest, I am not that big a fan of their first two albums. I simply bought them to support the format and help Sony to convince themselves to do more of these. A couple more from Santana, and a few Johnny and Edgar Winters, and I can then give up on Aerosmith and just be happy with what I have as DV continues with select titles from here and out.

Last edited:
When I discovered the last Santana SACD I set up a Google notification for the next number numerically in the Sony Japan quad SACD catalog, SICP-10135, and I just got a notification for it.

...anything new about the following III and Caravanserai? Especially the latter, which is my top Santana (stereo or quad).

Back