Quad LP/Tape Poll Santana: Borboletta [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Borboletta"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 4 26.7%

Votes: 5 33.3%

Votes: 5 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia PCQ 33135, from 1974.

Side 1:

Spring Manifestations (Sound Effects)
Canto De Los Flores
Life Is Anew
Give and Take
One with the Sun
Aspirations

Side 2:
Practice What You Preach
Mirage
Here and Now
Flor De Canela
Promise of a Fisherman
Borboletta

Q8 sequence identical.

ED :)

Q8 sequence is NOT identical, there's a one-track swap between sides (can't remember now...).
Other than that, a solid 10, the perfect companion to Caravanserai.

9. The butterfly. Music is a bit weaker than Welcome or the first three group efforts. Mix doesn't rely on panning, like Abraxas. Still, with Airto, Jack DeJohnette and Stanley Clarke guesting, this one should not be overlooked. I've owned this on SQ, EU CD (avoid - has a bad anomaly) and US CD (good.) 9 for the mix, 8 or 9 for the music.

171015546476.jpg

I love this album. The cover is better than the music - I would rank it the most beautiful album cover ever - but the music isn't half bad either. I give the SQ LP 8/10 (the cover would get perfect scores).

great quad release.I also have the stereo UK Nimbus pressing organised by HiFi News and record review which like most of their vinyl efforts (i.e.Sgt peppers,Band On the run,breakfast in america,Ricky leee Jones) is an amazing cut above any other audiophile release.

I love this album. The cover is better than the music - I would rank it the most beautiful album cover ever - but the music isn't half bad either. I give the SQ LP 8/10 (the cover would get perfect scores).

Well, the music is quite good and better than "Welcome" to me...
And yes, this one is one of the few LP's I got in Stereo and NEW and sealed JUST for the cover....this ;
the "Edgar Winter and Rick Derringer"...don't know what it is about that cover that I was ALWAYS bewitched, as a kid and as an adult....
and of course , Santana III...I even managed to find a SEALED first pressing with hype stickers (one on top of the other!!!!!) on the BACK cover for about $30 buck back when fleabay was...normal

Q8 sequence is NOT identical, there's a one-track swap between sides (can't remember now...).
Other than that, a solid 10, the perfect companion to Caravanserai.

Turns out you're right; finally dug out my Q8 and sure enough, they flipped "One with the Sun" and "Practice What You Preach." Which is kinda funny, since I don't think one is any more than ten seconds longer than the other. That shuffle for a few inches of tape? Sheesh!

ED:)

Caravanserai will be a good seller for sure.

The DTS edition of ABRAXAS was probably the company's best selling title while they were able to license from Sony. Regardless of who would put them out, I've no doubt the first four Santana's would do well as audiophile titles, and how well they did would determine if the others would make the grade.

The idea there was a best selling title is kinda mute, they finally sold what was pressed. We only pressed 5000 the first run of all DTS titles Brad owned, not sure if they put this in the bigger cases with the 2nd pressing, I do not think they did. We had issues with Sony coming in for more dough when we went back to get more titles. So no more got pressed. I would have done more Santana. Just became an issue as they wanted a buck more a disc. The Polygram titles went in the second run with bigger cases to match DVD-A I believe. And the titles DTS owned, all the early titles were owned by Brad even if issued as DTS. If you check the barcodes you can tell which titles Miller-Nevada owns. DTS needed product and started finding and making their own, like gluey brothers etc.

Santana would sell for Sony in multichannel-these guys are fucking idiots. Think Alan Parsons Project would sell in Multi?
I could name a bunch more they own and have no vision to seek markets. Idiots. They would not even be able to fuck up a wet dream. That contains faint awareness.
https://sonymusiclicensing.com/artists.html

The DTS edition of ABRAXAS was probably the company's best selling title while they were able to license from Sony. Regardless of who would put them out, I've no doubt the first four Santana's would do well as audiophile titles, and how well they did would determine if the others would make the grade.

The Polygram titles went in the second run with bigger cases to match DVD-A I believe.

No. Eric Clapton 461 Ocean Boulevard and Ohio Players Fire were on regular jewel case and came out at the same time as Abraxas.

For what it's worth, my 461 OB, Ohio Players and Abraxas DTS are all in the larger DVD-A style cases. Pix of them all in my QQ Profile Photo Album :)

that is not what I meant, the first issues we did were all small, our first contract was polygram, that is why we were running around with claptons and moodies cutouts at that first CES in 1995. I was talking about the 2nd run DTS did with the larger cases. I do not think Sony got that treatment, the contract was over.

No. Eric Clapton 461 Ocean Boulevard and Ohio Players Fire were on regular jewel case and came out at the same time as Abraxas.

that is not what I meant, the first issues we did were all small, our first contract was polygram, that is why we were running around with claptons and moodies cutouts at that first CES in 1995. I was talking about the 2nd run DTS did with the larger cases. I do not think Sony got that treatment, the contract was over.

Thanks for the info :)

I got Abraxas in the big case, the other Sony's I have are in regular CD jewel cases (Edgar Winter - Jasmine Nightdreams.. Stephen Stills - Stills.. Beck, Bogart & Appice.. Poco - Crazy Eyes).

Here's a DVD-A case "2nd run" Ohio Players... Fire (also Honey)....
IMG_1261 (600 x 450).jpg

Back