Quad LP/Tape Poll Santana: Caravanserai [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Caravanserai"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 18 56.3%

Votes: 10 31.3%

Votes: 3 9.4%

Votes: 1 3.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters
One of my favorite Santana albums and SQ recordings. I really want Sony Japan to release as one of their 7" 4.0 SACD's.

Actually, as a long time quad fan going back to the early 70's, I consider the Caravanserai SQ LP one of my top SQ LP albums for channel separation & use of surrounds, played back with a top decoder like the Audionics Space & Image Composer or Fosgate Tate. IMHO, it's up there alongside DSOTM, WYWH, Santana's Abraxis, Ten Years After's Space In Time and Miles Davis' Bitch's Brew. Each of these has remarkable separation for matrix quad and sounds that not only come from the entire soundfield but also can swirl around your head.

When Mike says Caravanserai is worth seeking out, believe it :)

I'm glad you got the opportunity to experience and review it. Let's hope Sony Japan comes through soon!

You haven't lived until you've listened to this in the middle of the woods on a beautiful night. Of course back then it was on a cassette.
WOO !! Goosebumps reading that !!

That brought back some great memories of Friday and Saturday Summer Nights sitting around a campfire in the Sierra Nevada forest, contemplating the Stars above. Dale's 'Blue Moon' custom van sitting nearby with it's rear doors open, it's door speakers pointing at us. Caravanserai in the 8-track filling the night air ...

Thank You for 'reviving' that memory :)

Last edited:
WOO !! Goosebumps reading that !!

That brought back some great memories ! Friday and Saturday Summer Nights sitting around a campfire in the Sierra Nevada forest, contemplating the Stars above. Dale's 'Blue Moon' custom van sitting nearby with it's rear doors open, it's door speakers pointing at us. Caravanserai in the 8-track filling the night air ...

Thank You for 'reviving' that memory :)
It's the crickets chirping around you on the 1st song. Does it every time ;)

I'll halfway agree with winopener on this one..of all the Santana albums in Quad, this is the top notch one
BUT
it is not really the Santana band, it's a mix and match that nevertheless, to me, never reached those heights again...
"Caravanserai" is a REAL trip...
This one was the first Quad LP I got (and converted with Lucanu's script from back then..it still sounds awesome!)after finding this forum, got it new and sealed so it was pristine..well, still is cause I've probably played it twice...

From the "outdoor ambience" in the beginning to the segues into different songs that are the most homogenic of all his LPs , this is a real treat---bringing in those other musicians really helped this LP...

Fortunately , the mix on this one, and also being an early one, does not suffer from any of "III"'s maladies.....the panning is great , no running around the room stuff, and it has quite a bit of bass...

Content and mix 10

I LOVE Caravanserai... I stole my dad's '71 Japanese pressing back in '75. Even as I had a '74 US pressing. ;-)

BUT, in the eponymous Santana album.... there is a JEWEL.... (listening to it right now on Tidal HiFi over my office set up as I type...).

Treat.

The mix isn't the best... hard pan left and right... BUT...

Caravanserai and Borboletta are indeed more "religious", as Carlos turned away from LSD and into other things. And those moorish like tunes... Canto de las Flores... Look Up (awesome funk btw)....

...actually, I think of Caravanserai for Santana as I think of Meddle for Pink Floyd. Both perfect albums. Perfect definitions of their artistry.

Every Step Of The Way.

Last edited:
Santana - Caravanserai SQ.jpeg

Back