Quad LP/Tape Poll Santana, Carlos, & Buddy Miles: Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles! Live! [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate Carlos & Buddy Live!

• 10: Tops

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

• 5: Mediocre

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Utter crap

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia CQ 31308 from 1972.

Side 1:

Marbles
Lava
Evil Ways
Faith Interlude
Them Changes

Side 2:

Free Form Funkafide Filth

On the Q8, the first few minutes of Side 1 end Program 1, the remainder on Program 2 to even out the timings of each side (The Lp length of Side 2 is 25:05.

ED :)

Free Form Funkafide Filth

On the Q8, the first few minutes of Side 1 end Program 1, the remainder on Program 2 to even out the timings of each side (The Lp length of Side 2 is 25:05.

No fades on my version;)
I really like this album. Nice surround mix too.

First, I have the SQ Lp, and I do like it, though Side 2, at 25 minutes, does tend to go on and on and on...even so, good mix, though artistically not in the best Santana group mode. A strong '7.'

The 'beginning' and 'conclusion' on the Q8 I pulled from a website photo (might have been 8-track shack?). Might have been issued both ways, though the tendency was to even out timings of sides so as to use less tape (absurd as that sounds). Regardless, a good listen.

"My" version is now one continuous show with no breaks between songs. ;). But you are correct about the track list.

"My" version is now one continuous show with no breaks between songs. ;). But you are correct about the track list.

Well, that makes sense....;)...and it's a great thing, too, because if 8-tracks had a real problem beyond hissy and crappy sound, it was the breaks between programs, making a song into two parts, pretty much ruining it. If nothing else, the format of the Q8 cut down on that, though as above, didn't eliminate the situation completely.

Its so funny you should mention the program break Ed! There are several songs that I heard for the first time on 8-track and even when I hear them now on CD or LP my brain expects the edit point accompanied by the burbling or wooshing of the end of the tape followed by the "ker-chunk" as the foil tells the head to thunk down to the next tape band.. and were those edit points ever arbitrary..! I have a special place in my heart for the format but it's mainly nostalgia, I seldom play my carts these days.. though that may change in the new year when I get a Q8 deck... uh oh! Haha.. :eek:

The thing I don't like about this release is the prominent, overdubbed crowd noise/whistling. It is way distracting. Why did they feel the need to ruin an otherwise good recording?

Doug

Listened to this one again this morning and got really excited (again) about what an awesome show and mix this is. There's a TON of energy here, they just blow through that set. It's a real pleasure. Mix is on par with the early 70s Santana studio mixes. Giving it a 10.

Another 9. I can't believe I haven't voted for this one yet. There is just something so perfect about Buddy Miles Teaming up with Santana and this live album is the proof! Great show, great energy, solid mix. Just amazing!:banana::banana::banana:

Paging ED, we are gonna need a poll for Santana and McLaughlin Love, Devotion and Surrender and Santana Lotus. Thanks!

I'm back with a vote change and further assessment after having listened to this today.

It is terrible. The music on the first side is OK but that incessant, near field whistling is enough to make you want to shout, "SHUT UP!"

The second side is nothing but boring, repetitive noise. And, again with the loud, irritating whistling.

A waste of a quadraphonic production.

Doug

This release has a special place in my heart as it is my first quad LP purchase back in the day (1974). And every second of the first ice is awesome. The second side has, uhm, too many notes? Its too long for me. SO that's why nI give it a 7. Great surround for a live release too!

Back