Quad LP/Tape Poll Santana, Carlos & Coltrane, Alice: Illuminations [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Illuminations"

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia PCQ-32900, from 1974.

Side 1:

1. Guru Sri Chinmoy Aphorism
2. Angel Of Air/Angel Of Water
3. Bliss: The Eternal Now

Side 2:

1. Angel Of Sunlight
2. Illuminations

ED :)

It's a very, very interesting recording, one of the most 'out there' of albums for its time, and one of the few that different to actually chart (on Santana's name, no doubt). Not for everyone, and I'm not sure all Santana fans can stand it, but the mix serves it well. An '8' here, not one I play often.

ED :)

7. A great mix, but an acquired taste. This is one of my least favorite Santana albums. My favorite artists in the '70's were Santana and Loggins & Messina. The musicianship is superb, but the material leaves a bit to be desired. Overall, I'm nuts over Santana's forays into jazz. I own this on SQ and Euro CD. Never released in the US on CD. That might say it all.

I gave it a 7. Music is really great at times. It's really out there, but I like crazy avant-garde stuff like this. Probably not for everyone. The mix isn't ultra adventurous but just about as you are about to fall asleep it hits you with an overly loud horn or guitar blast discreetly from some speaker to wake you up. And it has some obligatory Santana soloing over crazy drums if you forgot you were listening to a Santana record. This is definitely the most experimental of the Santana experimental records!

This is another one that I likely would of passed on if not for quad and I'm so glad that I didn't pass it up. This one has more of a symphonic sound to it as well as a bit of jazz. The mix is excellent as well. Again I have the Canadian SQ. I think I have the Q8 kicking around as well.

Back