Reach Up
The River
Try a Little Harder
Maria Caracoles

ED :)

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Released also as Q8, very enjoyable album. In Italy is was a top-10 album.
Quad mix suck big time: basically it is a doubled stereo pair with different equalization. Extremely disappointing, especially because Santana had excellent quad mixes in the past, and the content of the album could be spreaded very well in the 4 channels.
As a guy that have the whole Santana discography, stereo *and* quad (all Q8), the best i can say is: avoid. It is not worthy. Any surround synthetizer will do a better service to a very good album rather than one of the suckiest Columbia mix ever done.

Unratable: the album by itself deserves a solid 8 1/2, but the quad mix is below zero.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Released also as Q8, very enjoyable album. In Italy is was a top-10 album.
Quad mix suck big time: basically it is a doubled stereo pair with different equalization. Extremely disappointing, especially because Santana had excellent quad mixes in the past, and the content of the album could be spreaded very well in the 4 channels.
As a guy that have the whole Santana discography, stereo *and* quad (all Q8), the best i can say is: avoid. It is not worthy. Any surround synthetizer will do a better service to a very good album rather than one of the suckiest Columbia mix ever done.

Unratable: the album by itself deserves a solid 8 1/2, but the quad mix is below zero.
What he said... ;)
same as with "Amigos"

rustyandi

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I went to my copy of this LP
and played it with a TATE and Surround Master
The joystick has been not used as it would have been in early LPs
But it is 4 channel there are a small number of rear channel solo's
But they have blended the sound rather than made wide 4 channel surround
while it would not be a demo of Quad it is not that bad
But I have to say again (4 speakers big and the same) and TATE or Surround Master
to get the best surround

PS
make the room as dead as you can
at least carpet on the floor

Quad Linda

Staff member
The music is easily a 9 or 10. The "medley" is wonderful, although I prefer the live version on Moonflower, which was the first "non-Quad" Santana album. Yes, the mix is abominable. Averaging the music and mix (which is a zero), would yield a 5. Since the music is very good, I'll bump that to a 6. Perhaps you'd be better served to buy the CD or a nice, clean EU or Japan LP.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
rustyandi,
probably the sq version in this case does "works better" rather than the q8... i have the q8 tape and it's just atrocious! No solo whatsoever. No separation. Nothing, nada, zilch.
I was totally shocked when i worked on that one, i had to check everything twice because i was blaming some hardware or software mess-up. No way, everything was ok. It was just the mix that sucked badly.
I can just imagine how good will sound a real mch mix of the initial medley. Done properly, it would be a killer demo track.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Although multitrack masters undoubtedly exist, I'm not aware that this has ever been or will ever be released in a "true" multichannel mix. It was not a very good seller. Sad, 'cause it's great music.

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
By this time I thought ol' Carlos was spinning his wheels, and without the quirky but very talented and passionate musicians that comprised the band of those early albums, well....it began to show, and FESTIVAL, for me, was all energy and volume and lacked the passion and inspiration one hears on parts of AMIGOS, which to this day I believe to be the last album where Carlos truly let it 'all hang out' and ventured into the kind of musical territory an artist so popular and commercial rarely went. Looking back, some of his material seems radical, and to call it 'jazz rock' or 'fusion' or 'latino rock' seems not only a disservice, but misrepresentation (but then I think SUPERNATURAL is a load of crap, what do I know?)

ED :)

Pepetronik16

for some reason i think Israeli copies sound great, i have Wish you were here, and its a big difference from the one pressed in U.S.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
There is more going on here than double stereo, but not much. There are some things on here that are so subtle that they are hard to catch. But overall it is a pretty poor mix. I actually like the Amigos mix somewhat. Festival, not so much. Some great music though.