Santana - III Sony Japan Quad SACD (Release date: November 24th, 2021)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought you had things sorted out with CDJapan, Ricky? I hadn't placed an order with them for quite some time but kind of learned my lesson that DHL is the ONLY way to fly with them .... especially during this never ending COVID crisis. And with NO toll free # to call and a language barrier .... I feel SO badly for you since you have been a GREAT customer.

Hi Ralphie
Strike 2 for CD Japan

One more and they are outta here !! FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I think I paid extra for the "real" DHL and the 'Thick Box'. I didn't want to mess with the standard shipping. That could be why I got mine so quick. I honestly can't remember, but my invoice says I paid 2389 yen for shipping, so maybe that's a clue

Order ModificationUnavailable

Catalog No.ItemsRelease DateStatusPrice
SICP-10138 SICP-10138

[SACD] Santana / Santana III SA-CD Multi Hybrid Edition [Limited Edition]
Availability: Pre-order:Usually ships by the release date
November 24, 2021 In Stock 4409 yen
Subtotal4409 yen
Shipping2389 yen
Final Order Total6798 yen
US$ 59.99
Points you earn when this order ships:132 points

In all the years, and there are many, with much $pent, I haven't had one iota of a problem with CDJapan, always using standard airmail shipping. That was until now... enter Covid.
In all the years, and there are many, with much $pent, I haven't had one iota of a problem with CDJapan, always using standard airmail shipping. That was until now... enter Covid.

same here. but what baffles me is CDJapan's inability to communicate, improvise, think outside the box to provide a positive customer experience. Overcome the obstacles. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Their Customer Service sucks. Ive had nothing but issues and problems with them this past year. Prior to that it was a good experience

Like several of you, I paid for the real DHL. The only way I've ordered from CD Japan. $$$ to ship, and they won't allow you to amend your order. Still, titles like this are worth it.

This album is absolutely essential. Neil Schon, Coke Escovedo and Tower of Power make it even more potent.

Perhaps their best album, this is the 4th Quad copy I've bought: US SQ, Q8, another US SQ and this one. No, I didn't expect the second SQ copy to have any better bass. Give it an 11 out of 10 for mix and performance, and a 2 for bass response. The Q8 is somewhat lacking in bass and US SQ is non existent. After upgrading to separates & MC cartridge in the late '70's, Q8's fidelity didn't cut it.

I also bought this on CD, expanded CD, Austrian CD, 2 CD expanded and MoFi 2ch SACD. My 11th copy and the first time the Quad is great fidelity. Nice low end plus everything I like about the mix and performance. Q8 has been my most played copy. Unlike the US SQ, this SACD actually has a gatefold!

YOU NEED IT!

Finally (still not good), the DHL tracking in Chicago says "forwarded to a third party". Well, how effing nice. Who might that be? I assume "they" will have zero updates and I'll just be in limbo until it hopefully shows up on my porch.

I have also purchased mucho from CDJapan, and never had this level of "whatever you call it when things appear to not move and no one seems to be able to communicate what the next step is". :(

I think these are the coolest releases of any of the old stuff with packaging including the posters and the covers to the singles reproductions and the way the disc is packaged like an old record with the sleeve and the vinyl looking plastic that the cd is mounted to. So much more interesting than just a jewel box or oversized box (though the ones like Tull, Marillion, etc that come with books are pretty great) and they don't take a lot of room on a shelf. All the Japanese writing is useless for me, but most of the important stuff has English translations. I actually display these on a shelf as they look so cool.
And the sound is far superior to the conversion I've listened to for years. I do agree with someone who said a while back maybe a little too much reverb on the vocals in spots, but still a great listen. These first three albums were an amazing run and sure hope we get Caravanserai as it's another great album, but a very different listen than these first 3. Hopefully they'll keep going after that with the other quads. I also wish they would have done IV in surround but glad to get what we can.

K

My personal thanks to all of the contributors to this thread. I learned about the Quad Santana releases and CDJapan. Although this has opened up some exciting possibilities, my wallet is going to suffer, no doubt. I just placed an order for the first 3 Santana Quad SACD's and I'm very excited to get them in for audition. I remember when each of these were released, in my teenage years, loved them then and have been listening to them lots since. Great albums with great musicians. Can't wait!!

DHL delivered yesterday, Friday about 3:00PM.

Muchacho Markie, it's now 9 AM Pacific Standard Time and you still haven't blown out the walls yet with this masterful new release?

R.eab93a88fdb4264262de063f1c4e3abd

Markie, it's now 9 AM Pacific Standard Time and you haven't blown out the walls yet with this masterful new release?

R.eab93a88fdb4264262de063f1c4e3abd
I know, there is just too much going on, my life, Thanksgiving, Kids, JT Benefit, Joni Mitchell, Beatles, Dream Theater, Santana, R.E.M., Springsteen, my car, ugh too much.

That one has only audience in the rear.
True, the AF SACDs are much better for quad when I run them through the DTS Neo:6 Mode on my Oppo (I only mentioned it in case Mcallister didn’t know of its existence to “complete” the set so far). Nevertheless, the 2017 set (a) does have the complete concert, so an extra 7 tracks (about 36 minutes more) and all in the correct order this time; (b) I’m less fussy about the rears being ambient/audience for a live gig than compared to a studio release; (c) the artwork included is very impressive; and (d) I’ve loved the album since I first heard the stereo layer in 1975 and would’ve paid triple (or even more) for this release (if Sony only knew).

We apologise for this off-topic interruption and we will now return you to the angry rants of the many frustrated buyers still waiting for their copy to arrive. :p

The quad mix has the least bass and heft in the low end of anything in my surround collection.
It's shocking.

Bass guitar and drum kit swallowed up in reverb & phasing.
Often mixed to only a single channel.
Had to play the stereo layer to regain my equilibrium.

Surround mix is like taking acid and wandering an amusement park mirrored fun house.
All warped reflections and distorted perpective as I careen from corner to corner in search of thump. 😵

Back